Friday 26 June 2009

Jewelry - blue topaz, garnet


I just received the necklaces in the mail today and wow, they are beautiful. The stones are much larger than I expected, which is wonderful.

I got this set during the 30% off sale, so I only paid $7.60 for each. Yeah, and you can't beat that with a stick. Sterling Silver Peridot, Garnet, Amethyst, Blue Topaz and Citrine Pendant Set, 18"

These are beautiful, and I feel very proud to give them to my niece for her 21st birthday, an occasion which requires an extra-special gift; however, there are a couple of things the buyer should know:

First, the sterling silver chain is about the thinnest and most delicate I've ever seen, so this is not for someone who doesn't care for things well or is clumsy. Also, the colors of the amethyst and the blue topaz, and to a lesser degree, the citrine, are not true on the website. The blue topaz almost looks clear. Only in the light can you get the traces of blue, and the amethyst is very light as well. The peridot is gorgeous, and the garnet is a dark stone to begin with, so that's not a problem. They did not come in blue pouches, as was specified; rather, they came in five small black boxes which were put together with a white cardstock sleeve in a long strip. I ordered the matching earrings as well, and they do match perfectly. Be aware that nowhere on the boxes does it tell what the stones are or that it is sterling silver, or any information whatsoever.

So, except for the washed out color on a couple of the stones, I am thrilled, especially with the price (I also got the 30% discount).

I am pleasantly surprised by the colors of the pendants, which more or less match the product image (although in sunlight, my citrine pendant appears more golden yellow than the orange-yellow in the product image, and the blue topaz is more of a watery sky blue, but not so pale that you can't tell it is a blue topaz). Some of the other reviewers mentioned the pendants being bigger than they expected, so I included some measurements for all five pendants. The width is measured for the widest point.



Garnet: 18x5mm; stone alone: 9x5mm

Citrine: 18x6mm; stone alone: 8x6mm

Amethyst: 16x8mm; stone alone: 8mm

Blue Topaz: 17x6mm; stone alone: 9x6mm

Peridot: 17x7mm; stone alone: 7mm



All except the peridot appear flawless to the eye, and even the wisp of inclusion in the peridot pendant is barely visible in sunlight (the color is a bit darker than shown in the product image, a brilliant apple green). I got them for under 8 dollars per pendant, but even at full price, the quality of the pendants makes purchasing this set worth it.

The necklaces are very nice. The stones are set well and just the right size to wear. The chains are weak. I have broken two of them already. But for the price, just having the pendants to wear with a better chain I already have, it was well worth the purchase.

This set was given as a gift from my children to their mom. The citrine stone has a large crack/chip in the back that is magnified when looking through the front. This ruins the piece! Where is the quality control? When this stone was set, what was the jeweler thinking? As soon as you look at it your eyes are drawn to the defect. Not Good! Now the problem is ours, it seems we cannot echange just one piece of this set. We have to send the entire set back and hope we recieve a quality set in return. Some may think this is harsh, but this is not some machine made piece. A person held this in their hand, saw the defect, and shipped it anyway! Shame on you Amazon for letting defective jewerly be sold from your own collection, and bringing sadness to my children!

I have to agree with other reviewers that the colors are not as strong as they appear in the picture. That being said, however, they do have nice color to them. The chains are very delicate and pretty.

The necklaces all come packed in a long white sleeve (inside are the 5 black boxes). So, you could give these all as one gift or split them up.

All in all, worth the sale price. Recommend.

Purchased this set of necklaces as a Christmas Gift for my sister. Although I was tempted to give them to multiple ladies, I decided to leave it as is. The gems surpassed my expectations. For the price, I thought they'd be really tiny, look cheap and be dull and was half tempted to order something else just in case, however, I was proved wrong. Each gem is a nice piece, shines well, and sets beautifully a few inches from the collar bone. The chains are a bit thin so if you're concerned about the roughness of the user, buy a back up just in case.

I purchased four sets to give as gifts to our office personnel. Everyone was very happy with the pendants and wore them to work the next day. They are a good value, and look like they cost more than they did.The chains are a little delicate, but you can not expect more at this price.

After reading the other reviews, I was a bit worried. I just got them today and they are beautiful. All except the Citrine match the product images. The citrine is more yellow than orange, but I love the color. It reminds me of a sunrise. The chains seem flimsy, but if you're careful, they shouldn't break. - Amethyst - Necklaces - Garnet - Blue Topaz'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Jewelry - blue topaz, garnet garnet Jewelry - blue topaz, garnet