Friday 12 June 2009

Digital Camera - photography, lx5


It's always good to have a spare battery in my bag. It's unfortunate this one is as costly as it is.



As a previous owner of an LX3 (and now an LX5), I see that Panasonic has "chipped" this battery as indicated by the 4th connection (the circle 'D' visible along the left hand side in the stock photo). This means I'm stuck with buying Panasonic's battery, versus a less pricey aftermarket battery from a third party.



However -- lesson learned over the years after buying aftermarket batteries for other Pentax, Panasonic and Sony cameras I've owned -- the spares from the camera manufacturer have always given me greater capacity than the aftermarkets, even when they come from recognized companies.



Sometimes the reduced capacity is worth the cost. Sure, maybe I'll only get 2/3 of the number of shots, but maybe at 1/3 of the price! Not to mention it keeps a little price pressure on the manufacturer (Panasonic, in this case) to keep their prices in check.



Anyhow, I'm way off on a tangent. The battery works. It lasts for more shots than I care to shoot in a day. Its self-discharge rate is very low, so even if it's been stored for a few weeks, it's ready to shoot. Can't go wrong with this battery. Panasonic DMWBCJ13 Battery for DMC-LX5

This is the first review I have ever submitted but really felt ripped off by the seller (Commercial Solutions Consulting Storefront) and wanted to let people know. I wanted an extra backup battery for the Panasonic LX5 I was buying, and instead of buying a generic battery for a lot less money, wanted to play it safe and pay the extra bucks ($50) for a factory one I knew would work. So when I ordered my camera from Amazon I also ordered the extra battery along with it which came from Commercial Solutions Consulting Storefront.



I chose this one because the picture showed Lumix and Panasonic Model DMWBCJ13 on the battery, and along with the much higher price I knew it was a Panasonic factory one. HOWEVER when my package arrived with both the camera and extra battery, it was VERY obvious it wasn't a Panasonic battery. Instead of seeing LUMIX and Panasonic model DMWBCJ13 on it I saw "Battery Pack for DMWBCJ13" and nothing Panasonic/Lumix related anywhere on it. In addition, when I compared the two of them, the factory battery that came with my LX5 was noticeably heavier than this generic one.



To this sellers credit it did ship/arrive promptly, and to Amazon's credit I was given a quick return/refund when I called. However to picture a Panasonic battery, and charge top dollar to get it, only in turn to receive a cheap generic one I could have ordered for $10 really got to me. I will never order anything from this seller again.

NOTE - when I went to write this up I noticed a LOT of other reviews from people buying Sony, Cannon, and Panasonic batteries from Commercial Solutions with the same experience. They were replying to the posts by offering them $35 to either remove their review or change it to positive. They can keep their $35.

The main reason I bought the Lumix DMC-LX5 is because I can carry it everywhere - in case I find something worth shooting. Some days I shoot a lot, some days not so much. What that means, though, is that it's hard to predict when my battery might be running low. Plus, I don't always carry my charger around with me. One day I was at an event where I was shooting a lot and halfway through I ran out of juice - that's when I decided that I needed to have an extra one.



I've had bad luck with off brand batteries in the past, so this was really the only choice for me, and I haven't been disappointed. The cost is the only drawback with the battery - but I'd rather spend a bit more for something that works well than pay less for something that doesn't work or causes problems with the camera. These batteries hold charge very well and last longer than the batteries in comparable compact digital cameras. I keep this in the storage case that comes with it, and carry it around with my camera in the front pouch of a Caselogic Medium Camera/Camcorder Case. It works great, and now I've always got a back up when I run out of juice.

Do not buy this battery! I purchased one and received a generic battery. It was not the Lumix/Panasonic battery pictured. I instead purchased one from BHphoto and received a legit battery.



BEWARE!



As this item was shipped from Amazon, they quickly processed an RMA, sent me a return label at no cost and refunded my money very promptly.

This merchant, Commercial Solutions Consulting, did not send the item pictured in the product advertisement. Instead of sending the genuine Lumix Panasonic Battery Pack, Model No. DMW-BCJ13PP, as advertised, they sent a generic. I was disappointed when I received it, but also did not have the time to send the product back and demand a refund before heading overseas for the summer and fall. Unfortunately for me, THE GENERIC MODEL DOES NOT WORK! It will power my Lumix DMC-LX5 for approximately 1 minute before the camera flashes a warning that the battery does not work with this camera and automatically shuts down. As far as I am concerned, Commercial Solutions Consulting stole my money. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH COMMERICAL SOLUTIONS CONSULTING. Plain and simple, they are not an honest company.

I also received a cheap, unbranded battery, despite the fact that a Panasonic was pictured. I charged it up, put it in the camera, and it didn't work. The vendor was "Commercial Solutions Consulting". The battery was not available directly through Amazon when I ordered it. Amazon refunded me immediately, and I sent the battery back. The battery is now available through Amazon Prime and I'm reordering.

When I went to buy an Extra battery for an extended vacation (and extended picture taking), I researched the cost of the quality and cost of this battery. The quality was very evident and the battery provided extensive hours of photo shooting (for example, when I was stranded for 6 hours in the middle of the night with nothing but my camera and two batteries), and clearly established the quality of this battery. The cost is in line with most brand specific batteries.



Although there are no genereics available at this time, I would not recommend buying one in any case. Generic batteries have significantly decreased battery life and for any serious amateur battery life is a serious concern.



Enjoy your pictures,



David



PS. The only reason I gave this battery 4 starts is in the initial cost. This battery is 5 stars in all other ways - Digital Camera - Battery - Lx5 - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Digital Camera - photography, lx5 lx5 Digital Camera - photography, lx5