Monday 4 May 2009

Lcd Hdtv - samsung lcd, 40 inch


This television is truly something to be admired. I'd say it's also a work of art.



I have a high definition cable box with an HDMI cable to the TV and the HD channels are superb. I mean, the picture is totally 100% crystal clear. I have windows behind me and somehow there is virtually no glare. Yes, the TV looks better when it is dark outside versus light outside but it's perfectly great when it is light outside.



I'm writing this review on my couch. My laptop is connected to the TV via a VGA cable with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately my laptop does not have HDMI but I can see very well with the VGA cable. Needless to say, I am going to become much more lazy as a result of this TV.



The 40 inches is great for my viewing pleasure. I'm sure 46 is bigger but I am 100% content with 40 inches. It comes down to price. I did not want to pay more than $1,200 for a TV (that's $100 a month for 12 months using the Amazon Store Card). So this was a no-brainer for me.



If you are in the market for a TV, I highly suggest this one. It is truly a wonderful TV.



The "only" thing that isn't 100% perfect is the sound. The sound is good mind you, but it is not as perfect as the picture. But for the record, I have not played with the equalizer which people report helps the sound.



This is an amazing TV.



UPDATE 6/12/2008: This is still a remarkable television. I don't have any complaints about it at all. Even the sound is perfectly fine. However, you MUST either have a Blu Ray player or an Upconvert player with an HDMI cable to get the full benefit. Everything looks and sounds perfect on this TV.



UPDATE 7/13/2008: The TV is still perfect so just buy it already! I actually bought a 26" 3-series for my bedroom. I don't notice too much of a difference; I am happy with this "worse" TV as I am with my living room TV (this one). Samsung makes an excellent LCD television!



FINAL UPDATE 3/19/2009: Well I've had this TV about a year and I can honestly say it still is great. The sound is great, too. But... in retrospect, when it comes to TVs, bigger is better. A year ago this TV was $1,200 and I just paid it off this month. But if I could have gotten a 42" or a 46", then that would be better. Don't get me wrong, the 40" is great, but what's wrong with a few extra inches? Either way you can't go wrong with the LCD 5 Series from Samsung. Samsung LN40A550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

One of my biggest purchases with Amazon and it went as smooth as possible. The picture on this TV is amazing. FiOS HD can be almost too much pretty on one screen with this TV, it's a bit overwhelming at first. Standard def channels are of course a less clear but better than expected. The only issue I have with this TV is the length of time to power on and off. You also have to point the remote just right sometimes or the function won't register. Small issue though, hardly worth docking points off this unit.



The menu is wonderful and gives complete control over settings. Each input saves your settings too! The AVS Forums have a great thread concerning settings for each input that should be checked out and tested. A little tweaking got the black levels and skin tone just right.



I haven't tested the VGA input, but my Macbook Pro connected with a DVI-HDMI cable is amazing! My FiOS is connected via HDMI and as I mentioned, quite beautiful. I also have a Wii hooked up via component. The Wii maxes out at 480p but really shines on this TV despite the 1080p native res. Don't be fooled though, the picture is a little fuzzy but through some tweaking you can get a great picture without springing for a separate upconverter.



Shipping was of course through Eagle/CEVA. Make sure to call and verify they've got your info. They didn't have my phone number on record at first so I corrected that. My delivery man was Rick. He was great! He called to setup the appointment, was on time, very delicate with the unit, and very personable. I couldn't be more pleased.



UPDATE: Just wanted to mention the finish of the screen. Originally, I was debating between this model and the older lnt4069fx due to the matte screen. I chose this model for several reasons. First, it was cheaper. Second, I decided 120Hz wasn't worth the extra 400 bucks. Third, the screen isn't glossy but it isn't matte it's more of an in-between, satin-like finish that works great in my TV watching room that has a glass front door to the outside and 2 windows. Glare isn't a problem at all for me even with lamps behind me. It really is great. The ultra gloss on the 600 and 700 models are way to much for my multipurpose room. Hope that helps anyone on the fence that cares about gloss vs. matte finishes.

I purchased the Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV on July 14, 2008. It's my 4th big screen HDTV purchase but my first 1080p box. Agree with other reviews in that it has an absolute beautiful picture at a very good price. There are many features I love about this TV, but here's the problem....



I purchased a Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player with an HDMI (version 1.3) cable. When i watch a DVD, i get a 'searching for signal' message that appears on the screen for about 5 seconds. This happens once every minute or two! I went into full troubleshooting mode by replacing the cable, the DVD player, and everything else i could think of. I tried the DVD player and HDMI cable with my other HDTV sets and it worked great. After calling Samsung technical support and getting to their level 2 support in New Jersey, they acknowledged there is a problem with the HDMI connection with the TV but they do not have a firmware fix for it yet. They suggested i wait for the firmware fix (release date unknown), or return the TV and try another one. I opted to exchange the TV for the same model. I received it today and (unfortunately) it has the same problem. I will now return the TV to Amazon, get a refund, and purchase a different model.



Bottom line, if you don't use or need the HDMI connection, you should be fine with this set. However, if you plan to use HDMI I'd look to a different model until this is fixed.



Update on July 28 - After further troubleshooting, the HDMI problem is with the combination of using a Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV with the Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player. Together, they do not work. Separately, the upconverting DVD player works perfectly with other TVs, and the Samsung LN40A550 works fine with another upconverting DVD. I purchased the same brand so i would eliminate this exact problem! Who would think that Samsung has not tested their own product compatibility before they go out the door? Exremely poor quality control - my guess is they have a problem with their 'anynet' software feature, but it still blanks-out with 'anynet' turned off. Purchase the Sony upconverting DVD player with this TV and you'll be OK. However, now I personally don't trust Samsung. - 40 Inch Hdtv - 40 Inch - Samsung Lcd - Hdtv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lcd Hdtv - samsung lcd, 40 inch 40 inch Lcd Hdtv - samsung lcd, 40 inch