Saturday 4 April 2009

Laptop Speakers - laptop speakers, portable speakers


Let me preface this by saying two things. One: I almost never write reviews on products I buy. Two: I take my music seriously. I use a pair of $1,600.00 professional studio monitors for my desktop speakers.



Now the review. I needed something portable for a new 15.6" HP laptop. The reviews on this were good so I figured it was worth a try. I wasn't expecting much given the small size, USB power source, and low price.



When I fired this up for the first time, my jaw was on the floor! This thing is ridiculously good. Obviously, it doesn't output much mid or low base, but above that this thing is great! It puts out enough volume that I had to turn it down slightly in a 10' x 12' room. The sound is what I would expect from something costing hundreds of dollars, not $60.00. This thing has "air", it has a flat sounding frequency response, it's just amazing.



To the reviewers who are complaining that the price is high, I say: You've got to be kidding! For the sound quality it produces, this thing is stupid cheap.



I can't recommend this unit highly enough. Logitech USB Laptop Speaker Z305

Not much of a rave: "It's okay." For fifty bucks, I expected more, especially with the descriptions Logitech has on Amazon's page:

"360-degree room filling sound" this does not have (and I haven't used it in a particularly large room). It sounds like the speaker is behind the laptop, and I'm not sure what size room Logitech might be referring to. The bathroom in an airplane perhaps?



I bought this for listening to Netflix and certainly did not expect more than a louder speaker, hoped for better because of the glowing reviews here, but I was tempted to send it back after my first movie listening experience was less than satisfying. The volume was too low at about two feet away, and no, I am not deaf. I gave the speaker another chance with a higher budget film, and it was better, but still merely better than my built-ins. Did I get a lemon? Everyone else is raving about this speaker!



I am not sending it back, as it's a nifty design for travel and does a decent enough job, though I find the lack of volume a disappointment. The sound quality is okay, but nothing to rave about. I didn't expect better than okay for fifty dollars, but I certainly expected more than what I got. Maybe folks ought to tone down their positivity when discovering something merely better than their built-ins. My MacBook's speakers are tinny and quiet, but I'd call the Z305 a "twenty buck improvement."

I just received the Logitech Z305 speaker today, and I am very happy with it. So much so, that I think it may be the best and only portable USB powered laptop speaker to get. What follows is my review and comparison of the 3 USB powered speakers I now have:



1. The first USB powered speaker I purchased was the Altec Lansing iML237USB ORBIT:



Altec Lansing iML237USB ORBIT, Ultra Portable USB-Powered Speaker



I was pleased with the sound quality of the Altec Lansing ORBIT. And at about $23 including shipping, you probably cannot get a better sounding USB powered speaker for the money.



2. But after a while, I wanted the convenience of having a USB powered speaker that I could attach onto the laptop. So, I asked for and received the Logitech Z205 for Christmas which cost about $46 including shipping:



Logitech Laptop Speaker Z205



with A Lightweight, Clip-on Design and USB Stereo Sound, This Smart Speaker Is A



The Logitech Z205 was indeed convenient as it clipped on top of the laptop. But although it sounded appreciably better than the built-in speakers on any of my laptops and netbooks, I was nonetheless underwhelmed by the sound quality. The Altec Lansing ORBIT at half the price sounded much better.



3. So then I read the CNET review of the more expensive Logitech Z305 which also clips on top of the laptop. CNET basically concluded that the Z305 corrected the sonic deficiencies it had found in the Z205 and was worth the extra $10 - $20. Based on this review, I ended up ordering the Z305 from Amazon for $49.99 including shipping -- which meant that it was only $4 more than the Z205. I received it today and could not be more pleased. It sounds great -- easily the best of the 3 USB powered speakers I now have -- with decent bass, a nice open sound and good stereo separation. I would actually characterize the sound as "high fidelity". With its high sound quality and clip-on convenience, I think it's probably the best and only USB powered speaker one should get.



CONCLUSIONS: If you want good sound quality for little money, get the Altec Lansing ORBIT for $23. If you want high sound quality and clip-on convenience, get the Logitech Z305 for $50. Given these two outstanding speaker choices, I wouldn't even consider getting the Logitech Z205 for $46. - Soundbar - Usb Speakers - Laptop Speakers - Portable Speakers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Laptop Speakers - laptop speakers, portable speakers soundbar Laptop Speakers - laptop speakers, portable speakers