Wednesday 22 April 2009

Impact Driver - 18v, lithium-ion


After reading all the other reviews, I expected to have problems with the 1.5 AH but they work fine. I did a time test with the flashlight and they lasted 2 hours each. Using it on the impact/driver for handy work it lasted all day. This may not be the toughest test but they work good as a back-up battery, and are a lot less expensive and weight considerably less than a 3 AH.



I did talk to a Makita dealer who wishes to remain anonymous, and he said that were problems with the 1.5 AH when they were first released.



UPDATE

I have frequently used 2 of these batteries over the last 6 months without a problem. They are much lighter than the 3AH which gives the drill a better balance. I use them for all but the most demanding jobs. From my perspctive, it seems that Makita fixed whatever problem there was. Makita BL1815-2 18-Volt 1-1/2 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery, 2-Pack

I just keep my fingers crossed that I'll get more than 10 months from this set of batteries. I love the impact driver. It is my favorite tool, and I use very often. 2 years old now & this is the 3rd set of batteries.

I own and am a big fan of the Makita 18-volt system but only have the smaller tools - drill and impact drill.

I use these 1.5 Ah packs (the small ones) rather than the 3.0 Ah packs (the big ones) for the weight advantage. The small packs with Makita's already-lightweight tools make a really convenient carry item for any job. Sure, you can use bigger packs and/or tools but for the impact and standard drill I find the light weight is more of an advantage than the extra life. The small pack lasts about all day as it is and the charger turns around a drained battery to full charge in only 10-15 minutes.



If I were using the heavier-duty tools - circular or recip saws for instance - I would likely want the larger packs. For that use the difference in tool weight isn't much and they need the extra energy, IMO. Personally I still go to corded tools for those jobs.

I work in a woodshop where we own two cordless drills that use these batteries. So far over the course of a little over a year, we've had about seven batteries die. I have a 3Ah battery that's lasted about six months, but the 1.5's don't seem to last too long. Luckily, our local tool repair has exchanged them at no cost. Apparently from what they say, it happens alot.

Right now the price of two batteries is about $85 which is a great price. The batteries work great, the tools work great. If you want more batteries don't buy these. The combo with a drill, impact drive, charger and 2 batteries is roughly $230 on Amazon. So for $150 more than the batteries alone you can get more tools and another charger and the batteries. Recently, before the prices went down a pair of batteries were $100+ (and I bought a pair) and the combo about $270. I've been doing a lot of complicated fastening where an extra drill or driver would be handy. I'm sure it won't be long before I buy the combo again.

Now having trouble returning these after 30 days.....on-line format not accomadating me....will call amazon......been less than 60 days batts will not recharge again......bought a new charger also just in case...still no luck............hope i get some $ back - Lithium-ion - Drill - 18v - Makita'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Impact Driver - 18v, lithium-ion makita Impact Driver - 18v, lithium-ion