Sunday 12 April 2009

Hand Saw - saws, woodworking


In the construction of my house, I found a regular handsaw somewhat exhausting to use. A circular saw creates an incredible mess. To finish my basement, I bought this Sharksaw. What a find! Using this, instead of a circular saw, kept the sawdust from flying all over the basement and the rest of the house. The saw cuts wood incredibly fast on the pull stroke! No longer do I get worn out from using a handsaw to cut multiple boards.I cut through hundreds of boards(2x4, 2x6, 1x3, plywood, treated) with ease, leaving a near perfectly smooth cut edge every time. The saw is very easy to start and guide a square edge with. When ripping, it is more difficult to guide. But it does ripcut.The blade is very narrow, so it cuts not much wider than a pencil line. The blade is very sharp. Treat it as you would your sharpest meat cutting knife. It comes with a plastic cover for the edge and a cardboard sheath. It has a hole in the blade to hang on a peghook.This saw features compact size, ease of use, accuracy of cut, and easy clean up. This will be my only handsaw. I love it! Shark Corp 10-2312 12-Inch Carpentry Saw

I was very skeptical about this saw, so much so, that I thought about not purchasing it. After using it, I wish I had purchased it long ago. This saw is one of the easiest to use, with an aggressive "bite" and comfortable handle. It is the first saw I turn to for general carpentry use, and is my favorite in my tool shack (garage). For those of you who do not use saws a lot, this is an excellent beginner saw as well as an excellent saw for pros.With most saws, if you mess up the teeth on the blade, you would have to throw the saw away. I messed up the teeth on my blade by loaning the saw to my son (who promptly left the saw out in the rain, and having tried to saw through a nail), but was able to use it for another 6 months before I had to buy a replacement blade (#01-2312).This saw is an excellent addition to any toolbox/shop.

Light, sharp, easy to use -- you can't run out of good things to say about this great saw. The thin blade cuts through wood, particleboard, PVC, whatever -- with virtually no effort. And the pull saw is very easy to control to get precise cuts with minimal effort. I like this saw so much I often find myself using it instead of my circular saw. A perfect tool.

Shark 10-2312 12-Inch Carpentry Saw - This started me on my addictive path to get every one of the Shark line of pull saws. From the first cut (not very straight, but that was my fault), I was sold. This is a work-horse saw. For anything other than trim, I pull this one out first.



These saws are: 1. sharp; 2. affordable; 3. easy to use (after a short learning curve).

These saws: 1. cut a thin kerf; 5. are very sharp; 6. allow you to do precision cutting.

And: they are very, very sharp (keep bandages with them - even though you've been warned - you'll have to find out for yourself).



I have moved ALL of my other hand saws to the back of the shop. These are a joy to use. I want to have each type (and have probably bought more than I have a need for). You will have to make a new miter box because these blades are too thin for any you have.



Some tips: 1. Don't pitch them in your toolbox or truck bed. These are precision tools and though they are quite strong, they are easily damaged. Use the blade guards that come with them. 2. Don't try to "muscle" them through a board. The old adage of "let the tool do the work" has never been truer. 3. Don't place the blade edge anywhere you don't want a mark left. I think I mentioned that they're very, very, very sharp.



(Since I don't know which review you might see first, I have left the same general review for each of these I own and added any specific thoughts for the individual saws.)

This is the BEST handsaw I have ever used. My brother has owned one for about five years, and put it through more abuse than I care to mention. Despite years of use, neglect, and among other things, cutting roots in soil, his saw still cuts almost as well as a new one. I finally got one for myself, and it is a joy to use. A handsaw that actually cuts effortlessly? Yes, this saw is it. It takes less than 20 seconds to cross cut a 2x4, and that's if you're trying to cut a straight line. A rough cut takes less time. Wet pressure treated lumber isn't a problem either. Takes a bit more time, but still a breeze. With so many power tools these days, corded and cordless, hand tools are often overlooked. However, the convenience of a hand tool can't be dismissed. Instead of having to drag out a bulky, heavy, noisy power saw, you can use this awesome saw and make a few quick cuts in the same time it would take to get ready to make the cuts with a power tool. The blade is thin, high carbon steel with hardended SHARP teeth. Easy to change too! The handle is comfortable in the hand. With a thin kerf and teeth this sharp, the pull stroke cutting action allows more precise control. Just an excellent tool. Make sure to keep the blade gaurd on the teeth when not in use to protect them, and yourself. Made in Japan.

This is far and away the best small saw I have ever used. I have a lot of experience with pruning and log cutting hand tools, and I have spent a lot of money getting saws that work well. This is not a pruning saw, I use it for carpentry, but no other saw I have used compares to this one for the smooth and fast and effortless cutting it will accomplish. But be aware, if you accidently saw a nail, this saw will self destruct, not just get dull, but actually break off the teeth. It is such a wonderful saw that I bought a replacement right away and I am very happy to take the extra care of keeping the guard on the saw and storing and using it with care, because it is such a wonderful small saw to cut with.

This is a great pull saw at a great price. It has a replaceable blade which is very handy. If you have ever been frustrated while sawing using a "western" saw because the saw buckles than this is what you want. It cuts on the pull stroke. I would highly recommend any pull saw but this one wins out because of its price. - Woodworking - Saws - Pull Saw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Hand Saw - saws, woodworking saws Hand Saw - saws, woodworking