Saturday 18 April 2009

Cleaning System - cleaning system, buffing


I recently bought a new car and want to make sure the exterior is taken care of (the south Florida sun tends to punish car finishes). Since I live in a townhouse community where my parking space isn't very close to my actual house, I needed a cordless buffer for waxing the car.



Overall, I would give this buffer 4.5 stars - there is really very little to complain about, and most of those complaints can't be helped (such as the weight - the price of going cordless on a device like this is a trade-off in weight, so I can't fault the product for that). The only real thing I would knock half a star off for is the lack of a trigger lock button. It would be nice to be able to lock the trigger in the "on" position for easier use when you have to really reach with it, such as when you're working on the roof of a car and trying to reach the middle.



On my first use, the battery lasted through applying and buffing wax on the whole car without feeling like it slowed down at all, and seemed like it had plenty of power. I wouldn't be surprised if I could have done two cars with it on a full charge. The battery charges kind of slow, though, around 3-5 hours for a full charge.



This unit uses a velcro attachment system, and I had no problem using Meguiar's foam cutting pads and wool buffers designed for velcro connections. Tooluxe TL-10664L Super-Duty 24-Volt Cordless Random Orbital Polisher with 8-Inch SM Arnold Buffing Pad and Carry Case

I bought this product for my moderate volume professional detailing company as a way of freeing up some of the higher powered DA polishers. Well, to say this products does not meet up to the description is putting it mildly. First, it does not have enough power for paint correction in any way shape or form, so forget that idea right off the bat. Secondly, the battery life is nothing short of horrible. I have plenty of cordless tools and am highly familiar with their batteries and how to charge them so I know that I am not the issue here. The bottom line is you get about 30-40 minutes out of it...IF you are using it to buff the wax and polish up on a car, or apply wax, which is all this POS is good for then do it quickly. Bottom line, save your money by a REAL dual action polisher from Meguair's or porter cable (which are the same tool as they are both made by porter cable). this tool sucks big time.

Having bought cordless buffers in the past (Coleman Powermate 18) I was skeptical about the power and durability of the Tooluxe. However, I am pleasantly surprised after 2 usages that it has plenty of power for your DIY car wax, polish, and light compounding. I cannot attest to the durability.



Contrary to the angry rant by the professional, the Tooluxe with the yellow bonnet and some 3M rubbing compound will correct minor scratches like the ones I got from branches on a dirt road in the Eastern Sierra over Memorial Day. A bit of compound and 4-5 minutes of random orbit and the paint was "corrected." I would agree with the reviewer than it is not a RO Porter Cable or a professional circular Milwaukee or DeWalt, but it is wrong to say that the Tooluxe buffer can't do minor paint corrections, because it will.



It has about an hour of continuous use power - not three as stated in the description. Maybe three hours if you count the time the trigger isn't pulled. Plenty of time for a bit of scratch removal and wax application or one shot of wax application and removal.



I also bought the packaged SM Arnold Yellow and Black Cool-It foam pads and MicroFiber Bonnet. The Microfiber Bonnet is 9-10," but should have been 7-8" but it still works. I haven't had a chance to use the black for waxing or swirl removal. The yellow is great for compounding and as a pad to use under a 7-8" microfiber bonnet for application and removal of wax.SmArnold 3-Piece Buffing and Polishing Pad Kit for Tooluxe 24-Volt Cordless Polisher

I bough this after reading the poor reviews above. I used it on a 2008 BMW that had plenty of bad swirls and small paint issues. I used it for a solid 2.5 hours on a full charge and was able to apply Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Wax to the car!! That is 3 coats of buffing!! This things works like a champ!! It is not for professionals, but more than enough for the car lover at home. I was able to apply evenly each product very fast and effectively!! My car looks amazing now!! I got this thing for like 40 dollars shipped off Amazon. It retails for 199.99, honestly its worth about that... If you are lucky enough to get this for less than 100 pull the trigger its worth it!!

For $42 you just can't touch this. picked up a few extra pads and went to work, was able to do a small convertible and mid size SUV and still had plenty of battery life left, both cars look amazing and my shoulders feel great, cuts the time it takes to detail these cars to far less than half the time spent manually waxing and polishing.

The tooluxe super-duty orbital polisher surprised me to say the least,it is a good tool and works well. If your aim is to polish your car fast and easy this tool is recommended, it has more than enough power for a cordless polisher.I polished my car easly and it still had lots of juice left,i don,t see a better or stronger cordless polisher out there.You see i live in a apartment on the second floor cordless is the way to go.

Despite the negative reviews I want ahead and ordered this tool hoping for the best and I was not disappointed. This is clearly NOT a professonal tool and it is absurd to even think it could perform at that level. But it does have a hook and loop attachment system and a nice pad so that does elevate this to an enthusist level. For me it is a bit bigger and more powerful then what I was looking for. I really needed something smaller for more detailed areas. The very nature of a random orbital tool gives you the feel that your working with a tool with blown bearings. That maybe why it is rare to see a good review for any of them. Right now we are cleaning up our house and getting it ready to sell. There are a lot of areas that I think this will help me to get things ready to go. Clearly it is way less work then painting. The paint on our doors and woodwork is good, it's just a bit dull and needs to be shined up or brightened a bit. So I can go around the house and hit a spot here and there without having to mess with an extention cord. I think this will get the job done, but I am still looking for something smaller for more precise detailed areas. The balance is a bit off and it is a bit heavy. For a younger person I am sure they would find it lite and easy to use. I can get my son to work with this tool, but I have to watch him and teach him how to get the job done. Also I am expermenting around with the different auto cleaning compounds to see what cuts and polishes the best. I do have well over 25 years professional experance doing restoration work on houses and this is really a whole new area for me to explore. In the old days they may build up 25 layers of paint trying to keep things fresh looking. This maybe a way to avoid having to paint so often, because the new paint tends to hold up longer. I would imagine you could attach a hook and loop velcro sanding disk, so you would have two tools in one. A orbital sander and a orbital polisher. At a powerful 24 volts I don't see how you could go wrong. - Buffing - Cleaning System - Cleaner - Cleaning'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cleaning System - cleaning system, buffing buffing Cleaning System - cleaning system, buffing