Sunday 22 March 2009

Overhead Garage Storage - canoe hoist, garage storage


The pulley hoist is to be used to store a 14' kayak in my garage. It assembled well enough but when I tried to raise the kayak with a simple pull of the two ropes, the ropes sliped off the pully jamming the mechanism. It does work but I have to carefully raise or lower the kayak one rope at a time. Ok, but not as advertised. Product should have included a larger pulley to prevent this slipping problem. BAC Industries PH-01 Storage Pulley Hoist, 100-Pound Capacity

Not designed for a canoe of any weight or size. (our canoe was within the limits advertised) It was almost impossible to raise the canoe after finally attaching it. The pullies are lightweight and the ropes will not stay in the slots on the pully.



Terrible experience

I have 28 foot extension ladder that I use about twice a year and has been taking up precious space leaning against the garage wall. The ladder is too heavy and awkward to hang on wall hooks above head height so I bought the PH-01 to hoist it to the ceiling. The hoist was easy to assemble and install, and works as expected. I took off one star because the pulley flanges seem to be a little shallow and the rope can come off of the pulley if the assembly isn't mounted level and you pull the rope rapidly. This is a minor issue in my opinion since it is easily prevented by being careful to mount the pulley assemblies level. A key feature of this hoist is having independent control of the front and rear lift points through two separate ropes. I have some bike lifts with a single rope system and the bikes never want to raise evenly. Other reviewers have complained that it's too hard to raise the item they are hanging. This is not a problem with the hoist. It feels heavy because all of the weight of the item being lifted is concentrated through the rope and gives the perception that it is "heavier" than expected. Highly recommended.

As with the other reviewers I agree with the comments. What is nice is that the assembly is easy. Mine was missing some screws but I used my own to put it into the ceiling as opposed to the joists. I too have 14' kayak to put up and I found it pretty hard to haul it up on my own. I wish this came with the straps as again I sourced my own and mine slipped a little. The image makes it look like you can pull it tight to the ceiling but with the weight it swung a few inches lower. This was a challenge with my garage door set up. By moving the strapping I can squeeze it in. I can see how with continual use the ropes will go quickly. The ropes often get off track and I agree that the pulleys should be larger to avoid this. My hands were raw hauling up and down on the two rope system, it takes a while to figure it out. This is a good inexpensive hoist if you have a small boat and a safe place to store. I remain nervous...

I purchased this system to lift a 5 person paddle out of the water and store it hanging. The pulleys mounted very easily to the rafters of my boat slip. The paddle boat weighs about 120 lbs and is fairly easy to lift with these pulleys. With the 2 rope system, you can lift one end seperate from the other to adjust for level or lift one end higher to clean and drain the boat. This works great.

There is only one point where the quality could have been better and that is the rope. The rope used is on the low end of the quality spectrum. It works, but I am sure I will be replacing it with a better rope very soon.



BAC Industries PH-150 Storage Pulley Hoist, 150-Pound Capacity

I bought this to lift our canoe in the garage. The canoe is 65 pounds and is well under the 100 pound capacity. There is no way the product picture is correct. The moment I put any pressure on the hooks the material that attaches the hooks to the pulleys just twisted out of shape. There is no way I would trust this to hold a canoe above our cars. I relegated it to holding up a single aluminum ladder weighing in at 25 pounds just because taking it down and returning it would be a larger hassle.

I have a 10 foot, 40 lbs Old Town Dirigo and was looking to get it off my garage floor. I installed the BAC Industries Pulley Hoist under my second story deck and it is perfect. The pulley system installed easily (choice of on a ceiling or on a joist) and hoisting the kayak by myself was no problem. I would recommend this product and now I can get my car back in my garage!

The key feature is that this pully has two ropes to work with. That means you can you can control the descent/ascent of each end. Works perfectly for a long rowing shell. Unfortunately the picture does not show the two ropes very clearly. I find that alternating between the ropes works best for the descent. Also, I tie a knot at the point where I don't want the boat to go any lower, in case I let go of the rope altogether. Works well. - Lift - Kayak - Garage Storage - Canoe Hoist'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Overhead Garage Storage - canoe hoist, garage storage kayak Overhead Garage Storage - canoe hoist, garage storage