Friday 27 March 2009

Led Lantern - emergency light, emergency supplies


This is a rugged little lantern. I have to say that for $10, I was not expecting something of this quality. This is a solid well constructed unit that will not disintegrate if it gets knocked on the floor.



Other reviewers have stated this provides light for weeks. Not so... While technically it may output light on 3 AA batteries for 125 hours, it isn't at usable levels.



I bought two of these, and as soon as I received them, I took one of them and inserted the batteries that were included with it, turned it on and left it. I wanted to see if it would live up to other reviewers claims on battery life.



I realize that battery life would be extended with intermittent usage rather than continuous use, but if you are planning to use this for emergencies, you may need it running continuously for extended periods.



Anyway, the first 24 hours were the brightest. It easily illuminated my 10 X 12 study well enough to distinguish objects around the room, and I had no problem reading by it. After 48 hours, it did get somewhat dimmer and to read by it, I had to hold the book right next to the light. At approx 72 hours the light was feeble and I had difficulty reading a book with the light right next to the book. The light output was less than a standard night light I have in my bathroom.



At this point, I opened up my second lantern that I had purchased, inserted the included batteries and set it side by side with the lantern that had been running continuously for 3 days. The lantern with the fresh batteries was far far brighter, so at this point I ended the experiment as I felt that the light output from the lantern that had been running for 3 days really wasn't useful.



The last thing I did was to insert 3 fresh energizer batteries in the lantern that had been running for 3 days and set it side by side with the lantern with the fresh batteries that were included with it. The lantern with the energizer batteries was noticeably brighter.



So, buy the best batteries you can and you may well get the 125 hours of light this is purported to produce.



All in all, this is a very good value for the price.



UPDATE 06/05/2011:



It's been almost 3 years since my original review and both lanterns are still running in top notch condition. My neighborhood in Springfield MA took a direct hit from an EF3 tornado 4 days ago and these lanterns have been my primary source of light since then. I've not been running them non-stop as in my original tests, but only for about 5 hours a night, and they put out extremely useful light levels. I haven't had to change the batteries out once. My utilities were restored yesterday, but these lanterns performed the task extremely well. I'm going to order a few more. Coleman MicroPacker Compact Battery Lantern

Coleman Micropacker compact battery lantern proves to be a highly useful camping device. The lantern stands 6.5 inches tall, about 2 inches in width and weight only 6.5 ounces. Its armed with two LED lights that gives off plenty of good light for its size and the three AA batteries got excellent life span which really help. The lantern itself isn't waterproof but it seem to be well sealed so several times I took it out in foul weather, it held up without any problems.



There is sliding reflector that goes up and down. While it up, the lantern can serves as a directional wide flood light while when it down, it serves as an surrounding light in all directions. There is enough light there to read a book or play cards.



Small size, good battery life and lightweight carry load make this an ideal backpacker light to used inside the tent. It also got a fold out handle on the top to you can hang it almost anywhere for any situation. While it won't turn night into day, it will shed enough light for you to function.



Overall, a pretty good product from Coleman.

Our friends had one of these when we went camping a few weeks ago, and it was so great I ordered it the minute we got back home.



We used it for the first time this weekend, and it was perfect. Small and lightweight, it uses 3 AA batteries (supplied!), and gives off a very even light.



Inside the tent, we hung it from the top loop and used it to read by.



The light isn't extremely bright (I wouldn't want to do brain surgery with this as the only light source), but it's very even and doesn't create any glare.



Earlier in the evening, my husband allayed our fears of its fragility by dropping it on the cement - it didn't break, chip or even show a scratch, and worked perfectly afterwards.



It takes up the same space as a flashlight, but is way more useful for our needs - so the flashlight's out, and the Coleman's in!

No need to go into great detail here, as the other reviewers have managed to describe this item adequately. My experience with this lantern can be described thusly: it's about the size of a can of beer, is lightweight, casts enough light to read by, and it doesn't feel like it will fall apart at the first stiff gust of wind it encounters. It definitely will not survive being immersed in water. The reflector is pretty much a joke. If you live in hurricane country or in any other place that could conceivably be subject to long power outages, then a low-output LED lamp like this one, with its absurdly long battery life, can provide a safe substitute for candles.



EDIT: It took two years to wear out the first set of batteries, and I've found that the switch is not entirely reliable (fails every fourth or fifth time its turned on.)

Well, O.K., I don't sneer at hurricanes. But after Hurricane Ike and a week without power, we decided to upgrade our emergency lighting to more than flashlights, candles and chemical light sticks.



I bought three of these of these dandy MicroPacker lanterns and three of the family sized Coleman lanterns (also reviewed). The MicroPacker is a terrific value at under $10, plus it comes with three AA batteries. When was the last time THAT happened!



I measured the light output of the MicroPacker with a light meter (I'm a photojournalist) and discovered that the tiny light puts out just a little less light than one good, white candle. The pure white light easily illuminates a living room, abet dimly. The clever built-in reflector does NOT intensify the light, but shields your eyes if you need to read something.



This tough little light appears well-made but not waterproof. It can stand on a flat bottom or hang from a handy built-in loop on top. With a fantastic 125 hour battery life, I figure one light will last through two or three WEEKS of dark nights. The MicroPacker is small (about the size of a very skinny can of Red Bull), lightweight and should be good for backpackers. I give it 4-1/2 stars: I think they should waterproof it and add one more LED for five stars. - Lantern - 2009 Amazon Frustration-fre - Emergency Supplies - Emergency Light'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Led Lantern - emergency light, emergency supplies 2009 amazon frustration-fre Led Lantern - emergency light, emergency supplies