Tuesday 3 March 2009

Desktop Replacement - stand, aluminum


This is a beautiful, space saving laptop stand. I do love it, but NOT for the machine I intended. The description says any laptop over 10" - but I would not recommend it for 17" machines. The width on this stand is fixed - not adjustable. We are now using it for my little 13" machine. Originally, we intended to use it for our 17" laptop, but it really isn't deep enough to support the machine - nor wide enough - very precarious. Much of the weight in our 17" resides in the back. With the front clips installed on the stand, the back of the laptop hangs over the back edge and teeters off. I would not feel comfortable using this without front clips.



Great stand, but I wouldn't recommend it for any laptop over 15"



Otherwise, the quality is great, as is the case with most Griffin products.



Amazon is great - fast shipping and I strongly recommend Prime. Griffin Technology GC16034 Elevator Laptop Stand

I was looking for a laptop stand that allowed me to use my laptop as a desktop replacement. This stand is simple, nice looking, functional and contrary to a review I read, stable. I suppose, there might be a laptop with a super slippery bottom that might allow the laptop to fall if it is bumped by accident, but honestly it is hard for me to envision any laptop falling or sliding off the stand on it's own. I am currently using the stand with my Sony Vaio 15.6" laptop. In any case, let me return to my review:

1. The stand lifts the laptop monitor up to a height that is the perfect height for me.. the top of the monitor is just below eye level.

2. The design of the stand allows it to not have any side rails so that any keyboard, no matter what size, can be stored under the laptop freeing up the maximum desk space when the laptop is not in use.

3. The stand is very sturdy and stable. The stand has a very slight angle forward to counter-balance the monitor screen and expose the laptop keyboard to the user. The high quality rubber on the solid metal bracing provides a sturdy and stable base for the laptop. As I stated earlier, I can't imagine this falling or slipping off the stand unless the table is not stable or if it is accidentally knocked off or yanked off by a cable, but this is true of most stands. There are plastic little tabs that stick up on the front of the stands for a super slippery laptop with a near zero frictional coefficient. ;)

4. The laptop stand looks cool. The laptop floats in the air. I have a cable that connects to the second monitor and a USB cable for additional storage, but other than that the stand, laptop, second monitor, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse create a very functional, cool looking, and clean desktop.

I shopped for a long time for this stand and am very pleased with it. Oh, the amazon price was substantially lower than what I saw this stand for elsewhere (or even with other vendors on Amazon.)

I hope this is helpful.



Rich

I've owned this for 4 years, and for the most part it's been great. I logged on today to replace it. My MB Pro 13 inch has fallen off 4 or 5 times now when I've walked away from my desk. The most recent time it fell onto a concrete floor. At that point I decided it's worth it to replace this stand with the M-stand which has a lip to prevent your machine sliding down. It's served me well, but that costly flaw means it's not worth keeping.

I recently purchased this in Sydney, and though I can't confirm what you'll receive from Amazon, I can confirm from other reviews that the latest versions of this Griffin product come with plastic clips on the end which precent the laptop from ever sliding off the stand.



Overall I'm very happy with the quality of this product. The two aluminium struts feel substantial and have a decent, have generous rubber pads for feet, and I'm seeing some decent operating temperature improvements on my 2010 i7 15" Macbook Pro - probably a drop somewhere around 5 degrees Celsius for the toasty CPU temperatures. There's only the slightest wobble when the Macbook is touched (as can be expected), but as a stand to keep the Macbook alongside an external monitor it's great. It raises the laptop to eye-level, and leaves a little space underneath to maybe put an external hard drive, router, or whatever else you might fancy with your newfound desk space. All for a decent price.



I'm not giving this product five stars, only because I'm not so keen on the look of the plastic base unit, and I wish the plastic clips had been integrated into the original design so that the aluminium simply curved upwards. While it's fantastic that the whole unit is detachable and therefore easily portable, I just find the clear acrylic looks a bit tacky. From a functional standpoint, I'm pleased.

This stand looks great, works well (MBP 15") and was easy to assemble (just snap a couple pieces together, very obvious what goes where). It's stable enough for the computer to rest on and helps a lot with heat dissipation. I wouldn't plan to put much underneath it though as the legs will get in the way a bit, though a couple textbooks might fit well. Also, it's just not stable or solid enough to accommodate typing. The entire unit shakes and the screen will be all over the place even for a light typer. Perfect for a keyboard or external monitor setup though, or even just a charging station.

Bought this stand to prop up my laptop to be level with my external monitor. The stand looks really nice and stylish. One downside is that I think the stand is a tiny bit too high. Nothing to really complain about though. Below the laptop is an area where you can put some things under it. I have my speakers remote and external usb hub placed there.

Somehow, through no fault of my own I became the IT guy at my agency. Apparently, my ability to find the answer to a tech question on Google is vastly superior to that of my co-workers ;-) So anyway that also means I'm the guy who buys stuff on Amazon. I've bought 14 of these so far and they work great with everything from 13" MacBooks to 17" MacBook Pros. They work so well that I bet they'll even work with a PC. See ya' later, off to go buy number 15. - Laptop - Apple - Aluminum - Stand'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Desktop Replacement - stand, aluminum stand Desktop Replacement - stand, aluminum