Wednesday 25 February 2009

Cordless Drills - chuck, combo


I don't want to post a review of the drill and impact driller yet because I haven't used them yet, but I want who ever buys this to know this is the 6202-20 Hammer Drill and it does not include the side handle attachment shown in 2 of the pictures. If you call and complain amazon will reimburse you if you purchase it somewhere else. You will need to buy the Side Handle Assembly (42-62-0525)from a parts website. Amazon needs to change their pictures so that no one else is mislead on this drill.



thanks,



Scott



UPDATE: I have used this drill for over a year now. I can't say anything but great things about it. I use to have a drill that was a electric drill that was handed down to me and it did fine, but you don't realize what a quality drill really gives you until you have one. I was stripping screws right and left with my other drill, but not with this one.



The impact driller is an accessory that I thought, hell for that price I will take it, but I don't know if I really need it. Again, this is something that everyone should have. There is no better way to put a screw into a wall, board, or anything really. That impact motion makes all the difference.



Lastly, the batteries on these things are amazing. I have used my drill quite a bit over the past year for various projects and I swear I have only charged them like 5 times or so. They last forever. If you use them for a project like putting in a curtain rod, then set it down and use it 2 weeks later, no worries it is like you didn't even use any power since the last time you used it. I don't use this thing all day like a contractor, but I use it for my odds and ends projects and it still lasts. I believe the only time I had an issue with the battery getting close to going down was when I was drilling into my stucco to put up some Christmas lights, but it still didn't go down. Milwaukee is the only way to go with a sawzall and a drill. Buy this drill combo! Milwaukee 2697-22 M18 18-Volt 1/2-Inch 2-Tool Combo Kit

I feel I need to add a review for this product to counter the previous low ratings which don't accurately reflect the quality of this product.



I have owned this kit for about 2 weeks and have used them both in 1 fairly large project requiring drilling large holes in wood and metal and driving large screws. The power of both the drill and the driver are phenomenal. The battery life is excellent. I love how the power just continues at 100% until the battery is actually spent. AND, the charger is fast! If you do need to recharge during a project, it will be done in around 30 minutes.



One of the best things about the Milwaukee batteries - the warranty. They are warranted for 2000 charges or 5 years (don't know how they determine number of charges but I assume the battery has a counter inside). I won't be using these commercially so I'm expecting them to last a bit longer than the stated 5 years. We'll just have to wait and see.

I've had the M18 line for over a year, use them daily professionally, and have had no problems with the tools, or the XC M18 batteries. My partner had a M18 Compact battery fail after a year of use. I personally highly recommend them over the popular "yellow brand." I am gradually switching every cordless tool that I use to the M18 XC line. The XC battery has twice the amps of the compact version. Get the larger battery. 4 stars instead of 5 only because the hammer drill that came in the kit that I purchased didn't come with a bit holder or belt clip.I bought each from Milwaukee for a couple of bucks. I think it's stupid to not supply a bit holder with a drill.

Having not used a impact driver before, I was in for a real surprise! This tool makes it much easier to drive screws! Not as much force is needed and your bits will last much longer. I love the LED light on both tools also. Lightweight and a joy to use! Best Christmas gift I ever bought myself!

One is left to wonder if they have switched to the red lithium batteries yet. Local stores just started getting sets with the new red lithium batteries. They were released last year(Sept/Oct) so it would be nice to know if they have worked they way through the channel yet. Retail stores seem to have mixed results. Considering the timeline and lifetime of the batteries it would be nice to know how old they are before you get them. Some of Amazons kits have been updated to mention red lithium, others like this one have not... I would love to be able to order knowing which battery would arrive. You have to wonder how many of the negative reviews of batteries are simply due to the advanced age of cells.

My old set of Milwaukee tools with NiCad batteries are still working great, but the batteries have eventually been turned into bricks. I've replaced them several times, but the cost of replacing the batteries with new ones that will just go dead again anyway is ridiculous, so I made the decision to jump to the pro-level Lithium Ion M18 series with the XC batteries. I did it initially with the 1/2" cordless impact to test with, since I needed one anyway (can't use air when away from the shop), and I was very impressed.



So I finally made the jump to the M18 series for the drill and 1/4" impact for driving screws and such. I just got them, but they seem very solid and very fast. This kit comes with two XC batteries and a charger, which compliments the two XC batteries and charger that came with my previous 1/2" impact purchase. I think at this point I can purchase bare tools and still be good to go. My existing stand-by Hitachi 1/4" impact driver is still going strong, but it sure is nice to have a LONG Li-Ion battery life that I can swap around with all my other cordless tools.



These tools are an improvement over the old versions in several ways. One of the ones I noticed first is that they each come with an LED light over the trigger now, to help light up where you're about to drill and during drilling. This doesn't mean much outside during the day, but in tight quarters or at night it can make a world of difference. The old drill didn't have a hammer function, and the receiver on the hammer drill looks a lot larger than the old model as well. The batteries are big (and a little heavy--but that's a price I'll pay all day every day), quick to charge, last a very long time on a charge, and they can actually be left on the charger unlike the old NiCad batteries.



I had to decide between this set or the Factory-Reconditioned Milwaukee 2691-82 18-Volt Cordless M18 Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit with the slim-line batteries. I'm so glad I went the XC route instead. Even if you don't use your tools that often, go ahead and pony up for the higher end version with the much bigger and better batteries. You'll thank yourself someday... - Compact - Combo - Chuck - Drill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Drills - chuck, combo combo Cordless Drills - chuck, combo