Thursday 12 February 2009

Cargo Pants


I've never really been a "Jeans" type person. Some cuts and colors looked all right on me, but I quickly found that other pant types suited me better. Particularly cargo pants. In a search for some decent-looking, colorful, hearty cargo pants, I came to Amazon. Two brands kept popping up near the top of the lists: Carhartt and Wrangler's RIGGS. So, after owning them both for a little while, here's a comparison:



Wranglers RIGGS Pros:



-Very durable material, and double/triple stitched. It's slightly thicker than the Carhartt canvas pants, and the pants (as a whole) definitely weigh a few more ounces. The "Rip Stop Technology" is visible, and is basically a thicker strand of material lining horizontally across the length of the pants. I haven't put it to heavy testing, as I like my pants whole, but I can see the material stopping minor tears.



-Pockets. The RIGGS have more pockets than the Carhartts. The two leg-pockets are larger and button-down to close (something the Carhartt's lack). There are two smaller pockets more than the Carhartt's, about the size of a flip-top cell-phone and one that's cut at an angle (probably for rulers, but I use it for lip balm, mini-bungies while I'm riding my bike, and other small thumb-sized things). I have to say, I like the RIGG's pockets more. If this kind of thing is important to you: The hammer loop is on the RIGHT side. Carhartt's is on the LEFT.



-Leather tab on right-front pocket. It's stylish, but more than that - it's functional. If you constantly clip things to your pockets (measuring tape, cell phone holster, Leatherman, etc.) then you're not damaging the seems of your pockets with the little leather patch.



-The knees are double-thick from just below the front pockets to the shins.



Wrangler RIGGs Cons:



-They come a little shorter than the Carhartt's. I wear a 34W x 36L and the Carhartt's seem to have about 1" over the RIGGs in length.



-This is probably due to my own issues (shared washing facilities, too much soap?), but after washing the RIGGs once they were suddenly very "distressed." The fabric seemed fine, but it was if they were washed in mild bleach. Again, this is probably my fault, but it only happened to the pants. Just a warning.



Carhartt Canvas Pros:



-Casual look. I have to admit, the RIGGs are nice on the eyes if you have a "rougher" style, but if you want something more casual and even EASIER on the eyes, the Carhartt's win. They just plain look a bit more sleek. They also come in more colors.



-Cheaper. The Carhartt's I found for roughly $25/pair online. The RIGGs I've found for about ~$35/pair. If they wear the same, the Carhartt's may be the better value.



-Fit. The Carhartt's fit better. They're slightly longer than the RIGGs, and have a more "tailored" feel to them.



-Fabric and double/triple stitching. It may not feel as robust as the RIGG's, but it does definitely feel more rugged than your average pair of jeans (and far more rugged than thin 'designer' pairs). It's also smoother than the RIGGs, giving the pants a smoother, slightly more stylish look.



Carhartt's Canvas Cons:



-Pockets. Make no mistakes, I find anything with more than two pockets a good thing, but there are a few mishaps. The main cargo pockets don't close, and are about the size of my hand (minus the thumb). The RIGGs pockets do button-shut, and can fit my full cupped hand. There's also a few less pockets on the Carhartts, but it shouldn't usually be a problem. What I find slightly more annoying is the belt-loop placement. It sits directly, vertically over the left (slightly-smaller-than-the-right) cargo pocket. When I go to put things in the left cargo pocket, I often hit the belt loop first and spend a few extra seconds fumbling for the right spot.



-The fabric wrinkles easier than the RIGGs. It's lighter, but not so light that you can quickly pat them down or leave them to hang. They might be prime candidates for steam-pressing, but I've not had the opportunity to try. The RIGGs are probably not light enough for steam-pressing, and if they're wrinkled badly, you're looking at nothing short of an iron to get them back to smooth.



Conclusion: Overall, I'm a bit split. It really depends on how long they last (and I expect both to go for years under moderate use). The Carhartt's are definitely more appealing stylistically, and I can use them in a wider range of outfits. The RIGGs, I feel, are more rugged and suited to heavier use. Both feel more rugged than jeans, and I like the comfort in knowing that I don't have to worry about worn out knees or random rips for some time. I'm definitely a "quality over quantity" person, and both pairs have quality look and feel.



In the end, both get 4 stars from me. I love 'em, and I'm glad I have both. RIGGS WORKWEAR by Wrangler Men's Ranger Pant, Loden, 40W x 32L

THESE TROUSERS ARE COMFORTABLE FOR HOT WEATHER AND LOOSE ENOUGH FOR THERMALS IN COLD.THE CARGO POCKETS AREHANDY TOGETHER WITH A CELL PHONE POCKET.THEY ALSO FIT GREAT FOR MOTORCYCLE WEAR,HOWEVER THERE IS LITTLE CRASH PROTECTION.TO AVOID FADE WASH THEM IN COLD WATER.

these are the best pants since Levis came up with the 501 for the 49ers (the real 49ers, not the sad NFL team of today).

I work in these pants nearly every day since I discovered them on the recommendation of the local feed store proprieter ("these are great pants!). I've yet to detect a manufacturing flaw and they shrug off the effects of everything from manure to plaster dust.

The hammer loop is on the logical side for once and I'm still trying to remember that I have cargo pockets and don't need to tote the toolbelt. and a cell-phone pocket! the new classics.

I was in the market for a good, strong, hiking and trail pant. Most of the options I came across were too heavy, not durable enough, or didn't have the right pockets. I research, but rarely purchase, clothing online, but these weren't on any shelves in my area so I took the risk and ordered a pair through Amazon, thanks to a "no-fee" return offer on them at the time. Though that guarantee turned out to be a bit of a hassle I was very pleased with the purchase and ended up with three pairs, one of each color.

Here is my overall analysis:



Pros:

1) The pants are lighter and more breathable than I expected.

I have other double-knee pants; they are quite heavy. However, these are made of a durable but lightweight cotton weave that breathes very well. Considering all of the extra pockets and associated material (including Cordura-lined back pockets) I was shocked at how light the pants were.

They represent the pants as being rip resistant ("Ripstop" as they say) and while I haven't seen them handle a rip, I am inclined to believe their claim. The particular weave of the cotton suggests that they would be hard to tear.



2) Good pockets and belt loops.

The pockets are strong, well-stitched, and located in the right places. The front hip pockets are deep and made of very strong cotton. Not the thin white cotton found in jeans, these are almost canvas-like; very reliable. As I said above, the rear pockets have thick Cordura on the inside as the lining. I am confident that my shop pencil or combination square will not easily rip through as it has with my work jeans.

The cargo pockets only have fullness on the rear seam, which is smart (the front seam lies flat, which prevents brush from catching easily while on the trail). They area large enough and close with durable snaps that can be opened one-handed, but don't pop open on their own. No buttons to fumble with or weak velcro patches. There is also a cell phone pocket (maybe a little small for some), an exterior "pliers" cargo pocket, and a hammer loop; all on the right side, so Southpaws beware.

The "patented tape measure patch" is kind of a gimmick as it isn't very thick leather and doesn't actually run on the inside of the pocket at all, which is where my tape always grabs and pulls. It covers the outside and the fold at the top of the pocket, but that's it. It's not bad, just doesn't really solve the tape pinching "dilemma."

The seven decent belt loops (including an extra wide center loop in the back) are well-spaced and provide good support and allow ample space for useful additions like binoculars, a flashlight, or a knife (yes, even a belt holster for those who are so inclined).



3) Serious stitching

All of the major seams are triple stitched. All of the secondary ones are double and pretty serious. Most of the single-stitched are not high tension seams (just fullness and folds it seems) and look sturdy. Also the thread is of good quality. See "Cons" below for a side note.



4) Relatively Reasonable Price

I paid [...] per pair (w/ free shipping and return shipping) on Amazon. Wrangler would sell direct at a little cheaper ($37 each I think) with free shipping on orders over $100. But of course, the return shipping would've been on me. So I went with Amazon. That's cheaper than Carhartts and these pants are lighter, have better pockets, and are better for hiking.

However, I recently found these on a shelf at our local hardware mega-center (Menard's, for those who know it) at around $30 per pair. That's a screaming deal. So look for them. You might be able to find a local retailer by going to [...].



Cons:



1) Be aware - Waist measurements seem to be on the low side.

I was thankful for the free return shipping deal, since the pants seem to run on the small side for their waist measurements. All of my other pants are 33s, but for these I needed a 34 to feel comfortable. And no, it wasn't merely wishful thinking on my part, the pants really do run tight in the waist.



2) Made in Mexico

If you're a "Made in the USA" person, these won't fulfill that criteria. But judging by the quality, Wrangler made it clear they wanted good workmanship. If you're simply sick of substandard products from overseas, especially China, these aren't that. Not even close.



3) A couple of single-stitch runs might not hold up.

Here and there, I have found a few stitching errors. Thread tails, needle burps, even one unfinished end. But all of them were in non-critical places. All in all, on three pairs I found 5 or 6 errors TOTAL. I don't know if you can do better than that for assembly-line clothing.



4) The free return shipping required a call to Amazon...twice.

Despite the "automatic" nature of the free return shipping offer from Amazon, both of the pairs that I returned resulted in a return shipping charge on the return amount. This required a call to an Amazon Support rep both times to have return shipping refunded to me as well. The reps were friendly, quick to reverse it, and noted that the return should have been automatic. But since it wasn't twice, it was obviously not something they were going to fix. Realizing that this is not really relevant to the product itself, i did not figure in this factor when giving the four star rating. Nonetheless, you should know it for your own decision.



Overall, very pleased with the purchase. Good, sturdy pants with nice features at a competitive price. They aren't Carhartts, but I didn't really want Carhartts or to pay Crahartt prices . I wish I had waited and bought it locally for the reduced price, but at the time this was as good a deal as I could find.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cargo Pants Cargo Pants Cargo Pants