Sunday 25 January 2009

Table Saw Blades


for $40 I figured this might be worth it. This set will indeed cut perfectly flat bottoms. I do not exactly use my dado set a bunch, but the carbide on most of my chippers is chipped. chipped chippers are no fun and the amount of use my set recieves it should still be flawless. also even laying down blue tape there is still quite a bit of tear out on hardwood plywoods when cutting cross grain. it does quite well along the grain however. the case is a nice touch and keeps the set nice and safe. so in summary, this is not a long term investment and it will cut nice flat grooves. it cuts nice flat dadoes as well, but you will get unacceptable chip out if you use plywoods with their thin veneers. a good set for the occasional use in solid wood. I just recently upgraded, I figured that every time I chipped out on a $100 sheet of cherry ply I was not exactly saving money. Mibro 416371 8-Inch Stacking Dado Blade Set

The more expensiver Dado blades advertise that the blades will cut a flat bottom. I cut a 3/4 groove in a piece of Red Oak and from edge to edge the bottom was perfectly flat. This is a super buy, not only does it cut an excellent grove it looks first quality.

It is not a $200 set. It is not supposed to be. For the home wood worker, it is great. True, the inside of the cut is not purfect, but great for gluing (side are smooth as silk). And I did not have to spend an arm and a leg for the set. Very easy to get just the right width with all the shims. Would buy again.

I had no delusions that this dado blade would be as good as one that costs $300. I've only made a couple of cuts with it and it works just fine. Especially for a price under $50 for a carbide-tipped stacked dado. As someone else noted, the case it came in is pretty cheesy. The clips that hold it closed fell off the second time I opened the box. I noticed that all the hardware is held on with tiny screws, so I am just going to replace the cheap hardware with something a little better. Then, I'll use the dado set to build a whole new box and hope that my work will be better than theirs. Not necessarily a foregone conclusion, but I can try. Then maybe next year, I can afford a Forrest dado set.

After all the gripes and complaining about what kind of box these are packed in, I was a bit leery about the true quality of the blades. But I was indeed pleasantly surprised to find out my doubts were unfounded. They have turned into a true pleasure to run. A bit more complicated than my last set but then too they are about twice the quality of cut and precision. I have yet to have to add any of the well made shims to correct the cut size. I would, and will if need be, buy these fine blades again. Oh, by the way... The box they came in? Perfect condition and a great added bonus as far as I am concerned.

for the price, this dado set is really great. It has good Carbide teeth and cuts clean. The case is a bit cheap though. Also the blade is covered in some sort of protective film that has been a serious pain to get off, very annoying. Otherwise, the blade is definitely worth it for the price of $45.

I received my set yesterday and the box was trashed to start with.(broken in shipment in spite of being packed pretty well. I tried it out last night, the instructions state that the two outer blades stacked together would cut a 1/4" dado, well it was .035 under size. the cut was OK just not as stated so the blades are under1/8" each. I wish that I had saved my money and gotten another set such as Freud. It goes to show that you get exactly what you pay for.I would advise anyone thinking of getting this set to save your money unless you have a lot of time to get the width that you need.

Charles Hans

When I read the other reviews I wasn't sure what to expect but for the price I decided to give it a shot. I don't know why the box the dado is in seems to be such a big deal because that has nothing to do with how good the product performs which is very good. It fulfills all the needs that I purchased it for and would suggest that if a person is looking for a dado that performs well and is a very affordable price then this is the one for you. Sure the box is'nt very well made but that is not what you buy it for.

Before I got this I started by moving the saw after each cut to get my width, which works if you have a lot of time. So i figured I would get a stacking set. Glad I didn't get the more expensive set, this works great. Once you establish the exact width for the stock write it down for next time, this makes going from blade to blade and width to width easier. I've already made an entire bedroom suit and 22 drawers and use this every chance I can. I would recommend this for any occasional project woodworker.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Table Saw Blades Table Saw Blades Table Saw Blades