Monday 8 December 2008

Pet Nail Care - dremel, pet grooming tool


I purchased the short-lived previous version of this product, Dremel 765-01 Pet Nail Grooming Kit, and liked it so much that I bought the Dremel 7300-PT for friends. There are two differences between the 765 and the 7300- the casing of the 73000 is gray, and Amazon charges $29, rather than $32.



The newest version of Dremel's Pet Nail sander is well worth the money. It has changed what was previously a tortuous experience into something quick and easy.



I did some research before buying the 765 and 7300, and ended up choosing these over other products for several reasons.

PediPaws Pet Nail Trimmer- Several friends had bad experiences with it, generally finding it to be of poor quality.



Dremel 7700-02 MultiPro 7.2-Volt 20,000 RPM Two-Speed Rotary Tool with 50 Accessories- Although this is more powerful, it is also more expensive, heavier, larger, and louder, which would make it difficult to use on my nervous pet.



Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool- This is the older version of the 765; the primary difference is that this required AA batteries. Because several people complained about having battery problems I decided to go with the updated version.



I made the right choice! I have a large pitbull who has dark nails, hates having anything done to her feet, has very long quicks that are fast to bleed and slow to stop, and wiggles and refuses to stay still when she is nervous. I have tried clipping her nails, filing her nails, and even taking her on long runs on rough ground to wear them down. This is by far the best solution.



I began by letting her see and smell the sander, and then running it over her body and feet with the power off. I then turned it on and held it away from her, again letting her hear, see, and smell it. I had treats at the ready, but she was fine. I held it near her for several minutes while on, and then touched the non-sanding end to her body so that she could feel the vibration. No problems. In fact she bent down to smell it, and pinned the sanding band between her face and my hand. We both jumped, but no pain or damage to either of us. Although I was prepared to stop if she got tired or nervous, she was so good that I was able to do all four paws. It took about 15 minutes, but with lots of "good girl" and belly rubs interspersed she was fine.



The sander itself is relatively small and light, making it easy to hold even for long periods. It is easy to put together; it comes with a small wrench to put new sanding bands on. Unlike its predecessor it comes with a rechargeable battery and charger. When sanding, even on high, it is fairly quiet and vibrations are minimal. The body of the sander was warming a bit after 15 minutes, but I noticed no heat in either my dog's nails or the sanding band. In addition the battery was still going strong. My sole complaint about this product is minor; the LED light on the charger lights up to indicate a connection between the battery and the charger, but doesn't change color or go off to indicate when charging is complete. The instruction book indicates that a full charge should take approximately 3 hours, so that's what I've gone with. I had to recharge it after about the fourth or fifth use.



I gave the Dremel 7300 to a friend, and she's used it on her two German Sherpherds and her cat, with similar success



This is a great product for nervous animals and/or owners, as it's almost impossible to do damage with, and allows easy care for an oft-neglected aspect of your pet's health. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit

I purchased this Dremel 7300-PT for the sole purpose of trimming the nails on my very skittish Golden Retriever. She HATES to have her nails done. As soon as it arrived, I plugged in into the AC outlet to get a full charge. Although I did not use it for another week or more, when I did, it still retained a full charge. I was able to use it for nearly a half hour to trim all of our gal, Molly's, nails, using the high speed setting with no loss of power. I like the fact that this Dremel is cordless which means no cord to get tangled up in her paws! The unit is not particularly loud (even on high speed), allowing me to trim Molly's nails with minimal nervousness on her part.



I defintely recommend this particular Dremel for use on your pet's nails. Plus, it can also be used for myriad other tasks around the house, too, where a Dremel would come in handy!

Two grown dogs (50lb. Dalmation & 75lb.Flat Coat Retriever) that didn't move an inch when I used it for the first time.

I have used it three times with the same results.

One 16 week old puppy (38 lb. Flat Coat Retriever) was nervous at first and once he felt it he sat still.

Why did I wait so long to get a Dremel to trim their toenails?

What a difference from using a nail clipper.

Plenty of power. I haven't needed the higher speed.

I have used it three times on all three dogs and still does not need a re-charge.

I love it and recommend it to all dog owners.

My dog was very skittish of nail clippers and would shake and jerk every time I tried to clip his nails with a traditional nail clipper. He does wonderful with this! Trimming his nails has never been easier! I have a small dog, 13 pounds, so I ordered the Dremel 430 1/4" drum sanding mandrel and Dremel 438 1/4" 120 Grit Sanding Bands 6 Pack. I highly recommend ordering these too if you have a smaller dog since the Dremel comes with the 1/2" size which is too big for the small dogs. I would definately recommend this product!

My shepherd let me use this on him the first time I fired it up. The only thing he wanted to check out was the odor from the grinding. He has never been a big problem with clippers but would pull his foot away. That does not happen using the Dremel tool. My standard poodle took little notice either, but the groomer had used one on her. It feels substantial and well made (Mexico, not China) and it charged up quickly. The cordless design makes it easy to use as you move around the dog. I am very happy with the Dremel tool for my two larger dogs. Don't go with the very cheap TV advertised trimmer, this is a real tool, well worth the cost. - Pet Grooming Tool - Pet Nail Care - Cordless - Dremel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Pet Nail Care - dremel, pet grooming tool dremel Pet Nail Care - dremel, pet grooming tool