Sunday 7 December 2008

Media Storage - lightscribe, media storage


I've had good results with other Verbatim LightScribe discs, but I won't use the colored discs again. They looked terrific when I first burned them, but after about two weeks the images started to fade and blur - even on discs that were stored indoors and out of sunlight. Verbatim 95092 700 MB 52x LightScribe Gold Recordable Discs CD-R, 20-Disc Slim Case

I used to mark my disks with glue on labels. Well after making hundreds of labels they all went bad because of the glue, the ink, or the blank media. It took about a year and a half for the disks to go bad. I really did not know what caused it, but they were slowly ruined as if on a time table. They all sounded as if they were off balance when spinning in the drive and the sound would come out all garbled. Thankfully they were all music and not data. Anyways it was a big disappointment for me losing all that music.



So I started over using a "Sharpie" to mark my disks. A Sharpie is a permanent ink marking pen. The disks were pretty boring looking but at least I felt as though I was safe and the disks would last.



Well I bought a HP computer that had the Lightscribe feature. It was an inexpensive add on. I was blown away by the quality of the finished product. I use the Lightscribe software (it cost me $12 but I think I got it at a discount because I bought the computer) that is very easy to use and very versatile. I have made probably 50 disks so far and no two look the same. I can insert my own images or pictures, background or fonts or use the templates that came with the LightScribe Software. The results look fantastic. It takes about 30 minutes to Scribe a disk but all the information is on the disk. A picture of the CD cover or a picture of the artist, all the songs and a beautiful background of my choosing. They can make very professional looking presentations if you are in business, they are not just for music. You can run other applications while you are burning so I really don't mind the time it takes to burn them. I am sure this is a medium that will only get better and better in the next ten years. Color Lightscribe disks are a way off in the future though.



Thanks,



Bill

There is nothing in particular that I can find wrong with this media. In fact, standalone, the media if great. My problem is being misled by my Amazon.com search. I input a search for labelflash and this media came up; leading me to believe that it worked with a labelflash drive. No. It ONLY works on lightscribe drives. I am only writing this review so that 1) Amazon can change their tagging so others won't be misled and 2) If Amazon does not change their tagging, others will not fall into the same trap that I did.

I really must say that these lightscribe enabled discs are great. You really can make professional looking labels easily. (...)



It's super easy to use, just select any image to use as a background, add some text, add some text effects if you want, choose fonts, arrange the layout and burn. It takes about 30-40 minutes to burn a full label (with some text and a full-color image as a background).



The discs have a gold-colored backing that allows for the lightscribe writer to burn an image. The quality is great in that the gray-scale seems to have all shades of gray. You can burn images of people (friends, music singers) and it looks great.



My only wish is that in the future they come out with silver backed discs. Unless of course for some reason the gold-colored backing is a necessity. I would also expect that the time it takes to burn will decrease with future models.

Good product, what makes it especially nice is that no additional supplies are needed; however, you MUST have a LightScribe enabled drive.

This is NOT compatible with "Labelflash"!

LightScribe is an excellent way to provide permanent, good-looking labels that neither wrinkle nor come off in a disk reader.

The time to make a label depends on the amount and complexity of the information, it could be v e r y long.

These discs are just super to work with. The software I have has some interesting options to make very snappy looking labelling for presentations or for sales. I bought an HP with Lightscribe built in to the DVD/CD burner and have been burning ever since. Your information is inscribed into the CD meaning you can find another use for those black laundry markers and for those paper labels which tend to get expensive and are just one thing to figure out. What could be more easy than flipping a CD over and reinserting it to burn in the labelling?

The larger the format and the more intricate the design, the longer it takes to create but it goes very fast in a smaller scale. Just to experiment, I did a very large involved design which took 20 minutes. Others have taken much much less.

The price isn't objectionable as these are high-quality discs which I find essential when I'm copying photographs then deleting them from the memory card. I don't trust many of the cheaper brands to preserve what's so important to me. - Lightscribe - Media Storage'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Media Storage - lightscribe, media storage lightscribe Media Storage - lightscribe, media storage