Sunday 9 November 2008

Wireless Home Theater


With the exception of scary generics that I don't know well, you're choices in the current blu-ray home theater in a box (HTIB) space is restricted to Sony, LG, Philips, and Samsung. I did see some reviews of Onkyo, but those are significantly pricier for the same features. I basically evaluated these players based on features for the $$$ and selected LG. I also found that all the new models are 3-D players, but very reasonably priced. I cannot comment on the 3-D display quality, as my LG LCD TV does not have this feature.



Setup/Install:

Good labeled speaker wire with no proprietary speaker connections (I'm looking at you Sony), so you can extend the wires easy for a bigger room. No HDMI or ethernet cable. This unit does not include wi-fi. No wireless rear speakers either.



Hardware:

Cheap ipod dock, but I'm sure it's sufficient. I haven't used it yet oddly, even though I have my iPhone on hand for music all the time. But I primarily use MOG and Pandora, both apps included on this web-connected system. (MOG for a fee, Pandora if you can put up with their constantly-increasing ads). I think the days of taking time to select and pay to "own" individual tracks are numbered, I LOVE the TV showing the music app while the tunes blast over the speakers.



Remote is decently laid out, but the tactile sense kind of stinks. Not a big deal to me, you just have to press the buttons a little harder than what should be necessary. I've got the remote app on my iPhone, but c'mon LG developers, give that app some KEYBOARD functionality.



Note: The LG "Remote" iphone app has 2 store choices. I'm speaking of the one labeled for 2011 devices. I'd like to know if the older app has text entry. Why is this important? Imagine how much text entry is needed to navigate Netflix, youtube, pandora, etc. The less-than-perfect remote combined with letter by letter selection gets old REAL fast. PLEASE LG APP DEVELOPERS, HEAR OUR CALL! We're looking at 3-5 seconds between character entry!



Speakers/Main Unit:

Nothing flashy here. The speakers have no protective cover but look sharp and modern in flat black. All 4 surround speakers are identical. The subwoofer looks nice with the same shiny finish as the surrounds. The center speaker for vocals is also attractive. The head-unit is quite wide, and the display is nothing special. Kind of like looking at a high-school scoreboard. White LED display on black.



Sound Quality:

What can I say, I've got surround sound for a VERY reasonable price. I'm happy with the quality compared to my TV speakers ;) I'm no audiophile, but I do love music and concerts. This sound quality meets my needs. It will boom if you like some bass to dance to.



Note: The next model up (LG LHB536 1100W 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System with Smart TV Integrated Wi-Fi) I THOUGHT only included integrated wi-fi connectivity, but look closer at the pics and you'll notice this unit adds tweeters as well. I can't comment on the difference in sound quality, but something to consider.



Network connectivity and apps:

System hooked right up to the web. Hard-wired to a wireless router on a Comcast cable subscription in Denver metro area. Props to LG engineers here, I was on the web instantly! I work as a computer engineer, so I do appreciate the ease of use and instant gratification out-of-the-box.



App installation:

1. Created my LG account and then accessed "Premium" apps

2. Netflix - Works great. My PS3 was consistently dropping Netflix about every 20 minutes, requiring a button press to restart play. Now I know it wasn't my ISP, b/c those days are over. The PS3 interface for netflix was a little more visually appealing and easy to use. However, Netflix is constantly testing new interfaces for different device types, so this could change next week.

3. Pandora - Well, just logged into this for the first time to give my fellow shoppers a break-down :) Beautiful interface, lots of functionality (bookmarks, ratings, station creation). This is a winner. My track-forward remote button even shoots to the next Pandora song. Nicely integrated.

4. MOG - I'm just happy to SEE this app from the little music start-up that could. Feature set is limited, very limited. But searching for nearly ANY artist/track/album and playing it immediately is SWEET! (Subscription service, but consider the amount of time needed to download tracks to devices and the cost to pay by track). I hope the guys at MOG will bring playlist look-up and creation to this app though. Basically all you have here is search and the ability to browse editor's picks, top picks, and new releases. Note: There is no searching of others' playlist's either (in my opinion the killer app of the MOG model). But alas, these functions already exist for the iPhone and Android MOG apps, so it's just a matter of time until this hits a developer's queue (PLEASE MOG?!?)



Overall, I like the system a lot so far. I'm only 2 days in, so hopefully no glitches to come. If you buy one of these, join up with the AVS forum site. Lot's of good details there on this product family.



Happy with the seller, very happy with Amazon's early delivery. LG LHB336 1100W 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System with Smart TV

I am a young first time home homeowner who wanted to add to a 55" flat screen. I spent countless hours researching and was very torn between buying a component only speaker system or an all in one blu-ray/receiver surround system. Being a typical guy, I wanted to push my budget and get an onokyo component system for $850. After numerous hours I thought that system was it, but the reviews gave me doubt. I realized if I was going to spend that kind of money it better be flawless. Instead I went with the LG for $360. So far I can tell you the speakers were very easy to set up. However, the manual is very brief and does not tell how to hook up the tv/cable box/gaming system. All in all the sound is great for the money. I can hear the music clearly from outside. If you are simply looking to add a great surround in a box to your home for a reasonable price, I do recommend this system.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Home Theater Wireless Home Theater Wireless Home Theater