Thursday 27 November 2008

A V Equipment - headphones, a v equipment


First off, there are TWO Rolls HA43 amps: The regular, and the "Pro" which is what this review is for. Be sure you're getting the Pro! It has more features, looks better, and costs the same or less than the regular version.



This is a great little headphone amp, especially to improve a PC's sound quality and volume. It's small, simple, has some great features, and the sound quality is excellent. I can't compare it to the "real" pro headphone amps out there that cost some serious cash, but I can say that my headphones (Sennheiser 280Pro and 555) both sound a lot better with this amp. The bass range on my 280's - which was really weak coming directly from my PC's audio - sounds much more deep, clean, and sharp.



FEATURES:

----------



-- Two INPUT types - You can use either the standard stereo RCA connectors, or 1/4" stereo TR (a large stereo headphone plug). The "non-Pro" HA43 has only a 1/4" TRS input jack.



-- Supports FOUR headphones, each with it's own individual volume slider. I had both my 280 and 555's plugged in and blasting away w/o a problem. Sound-quality-wise there's no difference between using 1 or 4 headphones.



-- Each of the 4 outputs has two stereo jacks to use: Either an older TRS 1/4" stereo jack, or the newer standard 3.5mm mini stereo jack that all headphones seem to have these days. The non-Pro HA43 amp only has 1/4" TRS output jacks.



-- It's small (about the size of two credit cards laid top to bottom). It also has four thick rubber feet, so there's no chance of scratching a typical desk or other surface.





MORE INFO

----------



I'd like to have a few small extra features like being able to wall-mount it, but I can't say there are any cons to this amp. Here's some extra info for you though:



-- There's no power switch so it's always on. But after 7 hours connected to my Kill-A-Watt meter, it still hadn't registered any power drain.



-- It's powered by a power brick. Oh well! There's an unobtrusive green LED on top of the amp to show you the thing is powered.



-- The volume sliders have only one detente, or "notch" at the half-way point to let you know how far it's been pushed. More would be nice, but oh well.



-- Be CAREFUL! Beyond the slider half-way point, this thing gets very LOUD. I mean "These go to 11" loud! I try to keep the slider at the half-way mark just to be safe with my ears, and that's plenty of power.



-- This amp probably isn't limited to headphones, but if you're using it for speakers, make sure your speakers are self-powered. I doubt this amp will support non-amplified speakers.



If you're a true audiophile who needs to have the absolute best sound available and you can spend the cash for that quality, this amp probably isn't for you. You probably have better headphones than me, and you probably aren't using the amp on your PC anyway.



I am extremely picky about my sound quality, but I can't yet justify spending $400-$2000 on a serious Pro headphone amp. With the headphones I have, though, this little amp does a GREAT job and is definitely worth the price. Rolls HA43-Pro 4 Output Stereo Headphone Amplifier

I tried to wait a couple of days to write this review of the unbelievable Rolls (Royce!!) HA43 Pro Headphone Amp, which the manufacturer's insert touts as being for "School, Studio, Broadcast...anywhere you need four channels of clean, loud headphone amplication." Man, I'll second that!! How about your very own home photography/PC & Mac Studio? Does that qualify, dear Rolls people? I think so! Anyway, the sound and output is so compelling and incredible that I couldn't wait to publish this synopsis.



Like the other very nice review above this one, ie the 1st one by the gentleman from San Francisco, I am going to fully, and totally compliment the makers of this thing 100%, and then some. It is so hard to put into words the quality and comprehensive sound quality enhancement the Rolls HA43 gives virtually any type of recording, but here goes, along with a list of the benefits and controls:



Benefits, controls:



***Loud, and I mean REALLY LOUD amplification, clear as a bell, without distortion



***4 Headphones at once driver system, so that you and four friends can hear distinctly different levels of a record, broadcast, TV show, movie, tape, etc...individually controllable outputs



***3.5mm stereo (1/8") or 1/4" TRS stereo headphone adapters for output



***TRS Stereo 1/4" phone, or Dual RCA inputs (take your pick, not to be used at the same time!)



*** 20dB Maximum Gain per channel, for each headphone, 51 Ohms impedance for each output



***S/N Ratio=>90dB



***THD (distortion): .008% (!!!...incredibly low, virtually imperceptable)



***Small Size: 4.15 x 3.45 x 1.16 (W X H X D) inches dimensions, weighs only 1 pound



***Has 4 small padded "feet" on the bottom to prevent scratches, distortion, vibration



***12V DC PWR Adapter, unique to this unit do not substitute!



***4-Channel Level Controls by 4 sliders, one per each headphone



***1 Year 100% labor and parts warranty



The manufacturer warns, outside in the packaging: "It's Loud...lots of output level!" And you'd best believe it because this thing will blow your ears out anywhere past level "6" out of "10", and even that is pushing it for most people as 3-5 will be the comfortable level to reach with the individual sliders. The finish and fit, and look of the little contraption is just 1st class all the way. There's little to wear out or break, apparently, just the 4 slider controls that actually move, while the rest of the unit is solid black with KUHL white graphics for each channel's output level, and an LED (small, and green...subtle) that indicates it's powered on.



Personally I am going to unplug my Rolls HA43 when I'm not using it, but apparently the manufacturer doesn't warn against leaving it plugged in 100% of the time...for me though, I am not taking any chances and will unplug the little guy just for sanity, and common sense! Why leave it powered on when you're not using it, I ask? Answer: it's simple to just unplug the adapter's cord and have it stored in a handy place close to the HA43 for next use.



The power cord from the mini-brick (and it is small) is 7 feet long, plenty of length from power outlet to the Rolls HA43, a nice feature. I must give everyone who's a potential owner of this "best of the best" headphone amps that hooking it up to the source can be confusing, even though it looks very simple. And I suppose it is, but read on. You need twin 1/8" Phono to RCA Plugs, and let me give a Radio Shack part number so there will be no confusion, as there seems to be about how to hook this beauty up:



Radio Shack 4202444 6' 1/8" PHONO PLG



You need TWO of those, one per channel, and they are MONAURAL PLUG to RCA connectors, plain and simple. DO NOT BUY STEREO PLUGS!! Just simple monaural plugs are what is necessary to complete the setup. If you purchase two stereo plugs it just simply will not work, so take my advice and get the above parts (2) and all will be well. This is all considering that you are connecting from a PC sound card to the amp/phones. For a monaural source like a single plug from a television or external stereo connector with just one fitting from the FRONT/REAR of a typical TV, stereo, tape system, etc, then you can use a stereo mini-plug (1/8" to split RCA plugs which yields stereo). PC sound cards have more than one channel for speakers, so the key is to pick two plugs to yield stereo, and with my Creative Titanium X-Fi Sound Blaster Pro Fatal1ty card, the stereo plugs are colored orange and green, with the black plug-in being both master and ground...you don't use that one, for Creative cards use the orange and green plugs! There, thoroughly confused now? Hah-Hah!



I don't mean to confuse anybody, but suffice to say that IF you have a multi-speaker sound card like I do with the X-Fi Fatal1ty card, use orange and green plugs, as black is master/ground, and blue is input from an external sound source, exclusive of the optical plug-ins of course! WHEW!



Getting the Rolls HA43 will be the best thing you EVER did for your ears, your head, your perception of what is good sound, from even the best of headphones. I am using the Rolls amp with a set of Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphones, roughly a $100 (wholesale, street price, retail is $249), and the difference between using the amp and not using it is literally night and day! They are good without an amp, don't get me wrong. But with the Rolls HA43 PRO the sound approaches perfection, if not being perfection itself, and there is no substitute once you've sampled what it actually is! It's not that the amp makes the sound loud, it's much more: it's full, the timbre and timpany of each note is sublime, and perfectly rendered, balanced, and you come away from a listening session with a "WOW! THAT was NICE!!" feeling every time.



If there is one thing to write down, and have you readers remember something specific about the Rolls HA43 Pro Headphone Amp, it's simply this: For $50 shipped, if you deny yourself the pleasure of your finest headphones driven by this beauty of an amp, then you never deserved to hear it in the 1st place! I honestly do not have a clue why I never sprung for a setup like this in the past, because I love good sound, in fact I have arguably some of the best audiophile speakers for my *2* stereos in the house, and another in my automobile, that $$ can buy. I guess I never thought it could be a better sound experience than that which I already have. Well folks, I was wrong! The Rolls HA43 Pro Headphone Amp is a must-have item for any audiophile, in fact it's so good I'll go on record as saying you just can't do without it!



Wavey Davey - 12-9-2009 - A V Equipment - Headphones - Amps - Headphone Amp'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


A V Equipment - headphones, a v equipment a v equipment A V Equipment - headphones, a v equipment