Sunday 23 November 2008

Bicycle Odometer - bicycle odometer, cycling


The only problem I had was resetting the Trip Meter (DST) because the instruction maunual is incorrect.



Press and hold only the left side of the button for 3 seconds to reset DST to zero. TM (Trip Time) and AVS (Average Speed) will also be reset. Bell F12 Bike Computer

This is the second one I've had in 5 years which I think is a good thing. It's accurate and very helpful but a little complicated to use at first. Take time to read the instructions. You do have to set it to the size of tire on your bicycle to get accurate mileage readings, but there is a chart in the instructions to help you with that. It's great!

This unit is extremely easy to install (It took about 5 mins and attaches with electrical ties), and easy to set up. The instructions are intuitive and easy to follow. The numbers seem accurate enough for my purposes; the machine gives mileage to the thousandth of a mile.



HOWEVER, it is not durable at all. While I was trying to slip the computer into the holster on the bike, it slipped from my hand and fell onto grass, and now it will not turn on. Luckily, at this price, I got my money's worth while it worked.

I basically liked my bike computer, but it was driving me crazy that I could not reset the trip timer (TM) without resetting everything (wheel size, clock, etc). I am using the computer to train my dogs to gradually increase their exercise time, running along my bike, and I need to reset it for each dog. I am so glad I checked out the reviews and found that there was an error in the manual. Now I can reset the trip time easily! Thanks C. Wilson! Now I really like my bike computer!

[3rd season update: Again I left it outside all winter. It again turned on immediately, steamed up again for a couple of days, and is now working perfectly again. I got my ten bucks-worth two years ago, and this thing still takes care of all my needs.]



[Second season update: After being left outside all winter under a tarp, it turned on as soon as the magnet flew past the sensor. Water had obviously got into it however, because for the first couple of days it steamed up to where it was hard to read the display. But after a few days or riding in the sun, the steam vented off and it worked excellently as before. Moral #1: take it indoors for the winter. Moral #2: Don't sneer at a ten-dollar bike computer.]



I had planned to get a fancier bike computer, but after some bad experiences with "Amazon vendors" (Mr. Bezos: don't they cheapen your brand? They are often unreliable), and the new and frequent Amazon annoyance of "This item cannot be shipped to your default address", I chose this one, which at least could be ordered from Amazon proper.



I'm glad I did. For a tiny amount of money, this biking geek now gets constantly showered with lots of good, reliable data. Installation was a breeze, with the single exception that the sensor has to be placed perilously close to the wheel magnet. The wire is ugly, with zip-ties running up my fork and stem, but it also delivers 100% reliable wheel-turn-counts to the computer.



The instructions are mediocre, but you'll get past them, and using it is utterly brainless, with the single exception of remembering to zero out your current ride before you start. It turns on automatically as soon as the magnet flies past the sensor; it turns off after a few minutes of inactivity. Zeroing out the current ride also zeros out everything else except total odometer and maximum speed (currently 31.7 mph, which was scary, given that I was on a rough rail-bed trail).



My main problem with it is that I cannot read the smaller numbers on the display without putting my glasses on - small gripe. I have ridden in heavy rain, which didn't seem to bother it at all.



One possible nice touch (I don't have experience with other bike computers, so I can't tell if this is common): when setting the wheel circumference (so that the computer knows how far it is moving at each wheel-turn), you have the ability to actually measure your wheel and tyre circumference (I used a piece of string) and input the actual amount, not just some generic 26" wheel circumference.



Total weight is probably about 4 oz. Wireless would look nicer, but would be slightly less reliable. To make me upgrade from this one, I'd have to splash all the way for GPS with altimeter, heart-rate and cadence monitor, and accurate calorie count (think the Garmin Edge 305). For now, I have other things to spend my money on.



One final thought about bike computers in general: I have a standard, fourteen-mile rail-bed trail near my house that I ride every day if possible. I have now taken to competing with myself, which increases my enjoyment substantially.

As a newbie to competitive cycling (and a poor grad student) this cool, cheap computer gets the job done. Took it on a triathlon and measured the distance. It was dead on accurate! Instructions are clear, pretty easy to install (and I'm not very techy inclined). Just be sure to look at one of the previous reviews above for the instruction correction since there's one error in the instructions on how to reset the trip distance (hold the left hand button down until it clears, instead of holding both buttons down).



Highly recommend it if you're looking for a simple computer to tell you trip distance, real-time speed, average trip speed, fastest speed, and total distance (odometer).

I can't complain. It works just fine. Just keep in mind the error in the instruction manual. To reset the trip odometer (DST function) only hold the left button down for 3 seconds. If Bell eventually makes the correction in their manual, there shouldn't be any complaints concerning this item. The item is small yet easily readable. The scan option is great while you're riding so you don't have to press buttons to view various functions. For around $12.00 what's there to complain about? - Low Cost - Bike Speedometer - Cycling - Bicycle Odometer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bicycle Odometer - bicycle odometer, cycling bike speedometer Bicycle Odometer - bicycle odometer, cycling