Wednesday 12 November 2008

Bicycle Maintenance - dry, chain


My chain is quiet, clean, and I have smooth shifting. I don't get my leg dirty when I touch it. This seems better than Pedros and White Lighning.

The spray bottle allows one to place the lube along the pins rather than dropping it on top of the chain. It seems more efficient.

"Uncle Al" Artizone of [...] says it is all he uses. Progold Prolink 16-Ounce Spray Chain Lube

Please note: I am reviewing this from Colorado, where trails are mostly dusty and the climate is dry!

After one year of use, I am still amazed at how well this product works. No more dust residue buildup, shifting is always snappy, chain looks as good as new! Just for the record, I tend to clean and re-lube my chain every 5-7 rides. I've tried several other brands in the last few years (Pedro's, Teflon, White Lightning, and pretty much all that comes to mind) and *none* even come close to this. Very highly recommended.

I've used this product for about five years and my only complaint is that it costs to much. The 16 oz pump spray goes a long way towards solving that. Keep a couple of the smaller bottles around to refill.

I have been using prolink for a number of years, and it is a really great chain oil. I use expensive and lightweight chains on my TRI bikes, and lube them frequently, so use up a lot of 4 ounce bottles in short order. To try and economize I ordered a 32 ounce container, which turned out to be a mistake.



The container opening is not drip proof. It is such a poor container, that the oil wicks over the lip and flows down the outsdide of the bottle and flows off the container bottom while you are pouring. A LOT!!! Even over a wide mouth funnel, there is going to be a mess to clean up afterwards. It is impossible to pour into anything from a Park chain lube tool to a smaller Prolink squeeze bottle container. I tried contacting ProLink about the problem to see if they had any suggestions, but their contact link on their web site has been dead for the last month.



My suggestion would be to buy the 16oz spray bottle - you won't gain any meaningful economy, but you won't end up with 10% of the product on the outsdide of the container.

I ride about 4,000 miles a year and lube my chain before every ride (see below). I also replace my chain once a year. I've been using ProLink Chain Lube for about 4 years. Note that I use the 4 oz bottle and not the 16 oz spray bottle.



PROS:

Not too thick - doesn't gum up my cassette.

Not too thin - doesn't spray off onto my chainstay and rear wheel.

Does a great job so your drive train is quiet and smooth.



CONS:

None



How I Lube My Chain: I use two baby wipes - they are pre-moistened, non-toxic (obviously) and don't shed or leave any lint. If they can clean a baby's bottom, they can clean your chain. This process takes about 5 minutes.

1. Before cleaning the chain, use the first baby wipe to clean your frame, rims and brake pads.

2. Then rub the baby wipe along your chain until it's black all over.

3. Use the second baby wipe to clean your frame some more.

4. Then use the second baby wipe to clean your chainrings and the derailer pulleys.

5. Use a paper towel to wipe any excess moisture from your chain and to make it shine.

6. Also use the paper towel to wipe off any grit from your pedals and cleats.

7. Apply a smmall amount of ProLink to the top of the lower section of chain.

8. Rotate the chain and apply again until the inside surface is lubricated.

8. Run the chain between your thumb and forefinger to evenly distribute the ProLink and to remove any excess.

The photo for this product shows a bottle with a large label, presumably put there by the manufacturer. I received the item with no label--just a liquid in a bottle. It could be anything. I'm certainly not going to put it on my bike.



My recommendation: AVOID THIS VENDOR (Niagara Cycle). They are running a bait and switch.



Oh, and if you want to return the item Amazon takes itself out of the loop, not providing the usual printed return label. You have to hassle with Niagara Cycle. Thanks a lot Amazon. - Dry - Chain - Bicycle Maintenance - Chain Lube'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bicycle Maintenance - dry, chain dry Bicycle Maintenance - dry, chain