Saturday 25 October 2008

Home Office - pencil, broken


I just love this mechanical pencil. I'm really a "pen" kind of person but needed some pencils for homework, and this mechanical pencil is the best. Super comfy and writes well.



However, the tiny tip where the lead comes through clearly has a design flaw. That tiny little barrel keeps falling off (or, more accurately, this has been my experience with four different ComfortMates so far). I figured out how to glue that piece into place; since gluing it on all of my pencils, none has fallen off and the pencils have been perfectly operational (i.e. that little barrel no longer falls off and the lead doesn't break anymore). So, gluing that little tip turns a decent mechanical pencil into a perfect one.



Re: pencil lead replacement. You just pull off the eraser and dump a new piece of lead into the barrel. Very straightforward.



Re: replacement erasers. My local office supply store sells replacements for this pencil, which is where I got mine. Paper Mate Comfortmate Ultra 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil Starter Set(1738796), Assorted

This pencil, in a word, is crap. As it has been written previously, the tip on the pencil is prone to coming out, the "chrome" is plastic, and the eraser is not exactly commonplace to replace. It can be fixed with a little superglue, however for roughly the same amount you can go with another pencil that uses metal, doesn't break, and is easier to find erasers for such as the Pentel Quicker Clicker. You shouldn't have to fix something in order for it to work when the retail is under $4. When the tip breaks off (and it will), your lead is exposed more and will break much easier. This is akin to a cell phone that doesn't make phone calls. Regardless of the feel of the rubber, or any other aspect, if it's primary purpose is to write why bother with buying it if it doesn't.

The pencils are very comfortable and easy to write with, but I can't find replacement erasers that fit. The Pentel brand sells a version that is just slightly too large, and I'm afraid to buy the Papermate refills online because I'm afraid they'll be too large (I bought a Pentel version but they don't fit). I don't want to spend 5 more dollars on more erasers that I can't use. The next time I buy mechanical pencils, I will make sure it is a brand that sells replacement erasers.

I recieved this two piece pencil set the other day and one is already broken.

The silver tip at the end (not the screw on piece)that extends as you press to get more lead simply fell out.



I tried to put it back in but it just fell out again. I have tried using the pencil w/out it but the lead just snaps off. Worthless! Paper Mate Comfortmate Ultra 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil Starter Set(1738796), Assorted

I must first admit that I have not used a mechanical pencil prior to this one for several years. To my recollection, previous experiences were not particularly pleasant, and I used mechanical pencils more out of convenience compared to regular pencils (and only when I needed a pencil) than anything else.



I desired to try one again, and picked this out more or less at random. I was very pleasantly surprised. This pencil is very easy to write with, does not require much pressure from your wrist to make a solid mark on the paper, and is a smoother writing implement than any other pencil I can remember using.



Very satisfied.

While the Paper Mate ComfortMate® Ultra mechanical pencils are comfortable, come in a two pack, are reasonably priced and have additional lead and erasers, they are seriously flawed. I have bought two sets of these and ALL of them lost their metal tip (which holds the lead in place)! Trying to put the tip back on may work for awhile, but it will eventually come off again (and they are easy to lose). Trying to contact Paper Mate on their website ended with an error after entering in my comment...lovely. - Pencil - Broken - Best Mechanical Pencil - Office Supplies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Home Office - pencil, broken pencil Home Office - pencil, broken