Thursday 9 October 2008

Cuisinart Coffeemaker - hot water dispenser, great coffee


Since we don't usually need a full pot of coffee except on weekends -- I typically just grab a Starbucks "Via" instant coffee on the way to work in the morning (a pretty remarkable innovation, by the way) -- I was attracted to the hot water dispenser on this coffee maker. I like it particularly because of its 58-ounce capacity -- meaning that you don't have to keep refilling it if you're just using it once each morning to fill a car mug. My wife prefers tea to coffee, and she loves being able to get a cup of really hot water whenever she likes. (We fill it with spring water, and the results are superb.) I haven't had any problem with the "add water" light, as another reviewer apparently did. I was concerned about squandering energy by keeping a reservoir of water constantly hot, but it doesn't. It keeps only about 13 ounces of water at serving temperature; the rest of the reservoir is unheated. It doesn't take all that much energy to keep 13 ounces of water hot. And if you know you won't be wanting hot water for a while, you can just turn it off with the on/off button. I had expected it to heat water instantly through some kind of coil system -- much like an under-sink unit does -- but not so. As a result, if the unit hasn't been on, there's about a 3-minute wait for the water to reach the right temperature. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I wish the hot water dispenser were programmable in the way the coffee maker is, but it isn't. You have to start it manually. (No - you can't use an outlet timer because the unit has an electronic on/off switch.) I also wish the hot water dispenser had a temperature adjustment (the coffee maker does); the water it dispenses is so hot that I have to wait for several minutes before I can drink any beverage I make with it. Finally, some Cuisinart coffee makers have a strength adjustment but this doesn't. But these are minor quibbles; it's still a great appliance. The coffee maker itself works as well as an automatic drip coffee maker can -- always a function of trial-and-error at the beginning (what kind and how much coffee you use). It uses a cone filter (#4) -- which in my humble opinion always delivers better coffee than the flat filters used in so many other coffee makers -- including a lot of Cuisinart models -- and the water is sprayed onto the coffee by a showerhead array in the reservoir lid. (Tip for review "Me2": Pour water into the coffee maker by putting the lip of the carafe on the rear LEFT corner and pour it in that way. It's a lot easier and you won't spill any.) Cuisinart CHW-12 Coffee Plus 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Hot Water System, Black/Stainless

My last old Cuisinart bit the dust so I was in the market for a new one. I had also been in the market for a water kettle but really did not like the idea of having one more appliance on my counter top. When I checked out the Cuisinart web site to see what was new I was blown away by the idea of this coffee maker that also dispensed hot water!! I was so excited about it I had it sent overnight.



I have only had it for a day but oh what a wonderful cup of coffee I had this morning and right now I am loving the convenience of having hot water available for my tea drinking!



Pros: Everything!! In perfect working order and I was able to follow the manufacture's instructions on hot water without any problems at all! Best cup of coffee I have had even counting my old Cuisinart!



Cons: Only 1 negative so far. It is awkward pouring water into the coffee maker side and I guess I will need more practice at this to keep from splashing water all over everything.



So far extremely pleased with my purchase!!

A product that makes me want to change my "Unhappy" nick! It doesn't apply here.



Easy to set up, easy to use and cleanup. Has a setting for brewing a small pot (thank god I cant drink 12 cups every day) when needed. Programmable for having the coffee ready when you are.



1) Pouring the water in the top if you use the carafe isn't as easy as it could be to prevent spills. I have simplely dedicated a small kitchen funnel to the task. Ten times easier now.



2) I have to start buying better coffee! It makes coffee correctly. I can now tell the difference between coffees. My old Mr Coffee produced the same old black sludge no matter what you put in it. I used to avoid coffee because my coffee maker produced bad coffee and I never liked the too dark roasted stuff Starbuck$ is serving up. On vacation in Hawaii I took a tour of Greenwell Farms Coffee Plantation and learned I like GOOD coffee. (Meduim roast Kona coffee FTW! get the 100% Kona wherever you get it, avoid anything that is a "blend" its 90% non Kona and not very good. Who wants a cup of 90% bad coffee mixed with 10% good?) My old coffee maker couldn't brew it right and this one does. I'm not a coffee snob, I don't know what the temperature of the water is, I don't roast and grind my own beans(might get a grinder though now):) I'm not going to spend the time to make it is a vacuum press or fool around with a cemex, but I know that better coffee made in a good maker is distinctly better. This coffee maker makes better coffee than the 3 others I have had (all super discount since I didn't "like" coffee)



I know if I used a french press or some other fussy method and did the special coffee rain dance "coffee people" say it would be even better. But I want to have my coffee ready at the time I set. I don't want to have to stand there and fool with it, just pour and enjoy. Plus I now have a hot water dispenser I've always wanted. That works well too. I think I'm gonna go pour another cup...

As a coffee addict I'm very picky when it comes to coffee makers.....this is by far the best coffee maker we've ever owned! Makes great coffee~I love the clear carafe and the ease at which you can remove it, unlike others we've owned. The hot water feature is genius!! great for a cup of tea, hot chocolate or oatmeal~ very easy to clean....highly recommend!! - Hot Water Dispenser - Coffee Maker - Great Coffee - Coffeemaker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cuisinart Coffeemaker - hot water dispenser, great coffee coffee maker Cuisinart Coffeemaker - hot water dispenser, great coffee