Friday 17 October 2008

Bike Mount - garmin 305, bike mount


There are a few reviews on here that mention using this product with the Forerunner 305, but I wanted to make sure I posted a review to state specifically that yes - the Forerunner 305 fits on this perfectly (even though the description says Forerunner 405 and Forerunner 50).



I initially looked at the Forerunner 305 Quick-Release kit, but the horror stories of the device popping out of the wristband or bike mount quickly scared me away. With this mount, you can keep your 305 on its original wrist-strap, and feel more secure on your bike as the strap is wrapped around the mount. Garmin should abandon that Quick-Release kit and just use this as their mount for all their Forerunners.



One note - you do have to rotate the mount downward to see the 305 screen in an optimal position, but this hasn't affected the GPS reception at all. Garmin Forerunner Bicycle Mount Kit

This is a handy accessory, I didn't bother doing the plastic tie-ons, when the watch is buckled around it, it stays on fine (However, I don't leave my bike in public, so I don't have the worry of things getting stolen from the bike).



It's much easier for me to see the Garmin on the handle bars as I'm not coordinated enough to bike with one or no hands. (Yes, I'm a beginner, I just started biking in May 2009).

This bike mount is not made for larger diameter handlebar tubes such as on my Cannondale CAAD9-5. It would be nice for them to publish more information about what diameter tubes that this is made to fit around. It is made of seemingly good quality soft rubber so will fit around almost any size bar, but will become too large for the stiff wrist-strap of the Garmin 405 (but may not be a problem for the 305).

I am using this with my 405 and it works pretty well. I only have two complaints. First it was a bit awkward to get it on so that the large end of the zip tie was inside the end, where it is cut out. I wanted to do this though so that the sharp end where the tie was cut off didn't cut into the watch band. Second, the little part that sticks out and says garmin. It doesn't seem to really serve any purpose (I am not sure that it would really help hold the watch on) except making it harder it get on and off. I have it on my aero bars.

This handle bar mount works well with my Forerunner 305 (mounted to an early vintage Stump Jumper without any suspension). I have a bunch of other stuff on my bars (Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, and a Cannondale speedometer), so I appreciated the simple and space saving design. I think I saw another review that suggested that it would be nice to have the ability to "flip the screen" upside down on the forerunner series so that the antenna was pointing up while on the bar mount, and I concur. However, that being said, I have not been able to measure any appreciable error while mounted right next to the Etrex Vista (which has the antenna pointed in an optimal orientation). It is really nice to have the Forerunner mounted to the handle bars rather than my wrist while mountain biking! It leaves my hands and wrists free to wipe sweat, and deflect branches. It is possible to work the buttons (imposable when on your wrist while riding), and I'm counting on the fact that the Forerunner will be less likely to be damaged in a crash when mounted to the bike rather than my body (as yet untested). I would recommend this product to a friend.

I had difficulty trying to mount the 405cx on my road bike with this. As mentioned in another review, because of the stiffness and shape of the 405cx, it could not fit around the mount because the mount itself became too large to wrap the watch around. I ended up cutting out the thick inner arch on the the non-Garmin side; despite doing this there was no problem using the included ties (to keep the mount on the bike while the watch is not on it). Now my watch fits securely and neither the mount nor the watch slip.

This is a simple rubber block that provides a mounting bracket for any of the Garmin (or, I suppose, any other make) GPS watches on bicycle handlebars so the requirements are pretty low.



It does what it's supposed to. It fits handlebars from 25.4 to 31.8 mm in diameter and holds my Forerunner 305 firmly in place. I didn't use the included zip-ties to clamp it in place since I use the 305 on several different bicycles but it works fine without them.

This is a simple, easy to install accessory for holding my Garmin 305 in a convenient location during my rides. You just attach it with the two zip ties to the handlebar and put on your Garmin just like putting on your wrist

easily attaches to bike handle bar with two cable ties. garmin attaches to mount using wrist strap as in attaching to the wrist. mount keeps garmin firmly attached. very simple and easy to attach and remove garmin. - Bike Mount - Garmin 305 - 305 - Garmin 405'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bike Mount - garmin 305, bike mount 305 Bike Mount - garmin 305, bike mount