Monday 7 March 2011

Whistling Kettle - tea kettle, tea kettles


Great Tea kettle


This kettle is great! I no longer have to worry about what the inside of the kettle is lined with - glass is clean and toxin-free. I use it on low-medium heat, and don't leave it sitting there boiling away. The whistle isn't real loud, but I'm hearing impaired and I can still hear it from another room. Since I drink MANY cups of tea a day, this kettle is getting lots of use. I hope it holds up over the long term, because I really like it a lot. And you sure can't beat the price!


This kettle is great! I no longer have to worry about what the inside of the kettle is lined with - glass is clean and toxin-free. I use it on low-medium heat, and don't leave it sitting there boiling away. The whistle isn't real loud, but I'm hearing impaired and I can still hear it from another room. Since I drink MANY cups of tea a day, this kettle is getting lots of use. I hope it holds up over the long term, because I really like it a lot. And you sure can't beat the price!


This kettle is a revelation for me. I was looking to replce my KitchenAid kettle that started to rust on the inside. The rust is from me neglecting it (not wiping it down after use and such). But I never liked the handle that gets really warm and uncomfortable.



I forgot how I came across this, but I'm so glad I did. Here're 2 things I really love:



1. The handle stays cool, because it's so far off to the side, unlike my old KitchenAid (and most other kettle).

And the location also makes it easier to pour (there's less angle to pour. You hardly lift up your arm). The first time I used it, I actually blurted out "Oh, dang, this is awesome!". With the KitchenAid, I would sometimes use a towel because the handle gets really uncomfortably warm.



2. I can pop this baby in the dishwasher! I don't have to worry about any rusting issue, either.



3. The price is about a third of the KitchenAid! (well, this last one is relative to what your other kettle is).



The negatives are:



1. I obviously have to be extra careful not to bang this around (I tend to smack things on the faucet).



2. I have to watch not to shock the kettle by filling in cold water while the kettle is still hot. I personally wouldn't have this problem. But I can see if someone needs to make multiple batch of coffee (say, during the holidays), you'd have to wait until the kettle cools down a bit before you can fill it with cold tap water, otherwise the glass might shatter.



I still give it 5 stars even with the 2 negatives. The negatives are more like inherent problems, not from bad design. Kinda like cast iron pans.


For my needs, this is the perfect tea kettle. It's great at heating water for french press coffee and boiling water for hot tea. I even steep tea right in the kettle when making iced tea.



The wide mouth makes it easy to clean, and the fact that it is clear makes it a lot easier than your typical tea kettle to tell that it is clean.



The only caveat I've found is that the whistle is rather quiet. I look at this as a positive -- I can make myself a cup of tea early in the morning or late at night without waking my roomate. If you need to know when your water is boiling from another room, though, you may want to consider another product.


Medelco 1-WK112-BL-4 12-Cup Glass Stovetop Whistling Kettle


This kettle is easy to use and easy to clean (you can even put it in the dishwasher if you like). It comes with a heat diffuser for use on electric ranges, but I suggest using it even for glasstop ranges as well. The whistle works well, but is a little more throaty than the high-pitch whistle on your standard metal tea-kettle. I use a probe thermometer and place it in the whistle hole, and let the water get between 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit - which is the proper brewing temperature for the best cup of coffee.



The kettle has a clean, retro design and is very well-constructed. Some reviewers have noted that the handle heats-up. I believe this is most likely because they are using the "big burner" on their stove and not the smaller one that is the proper size for the tea kettle (thus the handle is over the outside of the burner and causes it to heat-up). So just make sure to use the smaller, more appropriate-sized burner to prevent over-heating the handle. Regardless, the handle is pretty strong, and the entire kettle is solidly-built. The kettle is made in Germany, according to the documentation that comes with it (though the company is based in the USA).



I use glass almost exclusively for all of my cooking (like Corning Visions pots and pans, this Kettle, and so on) and if I can offer some suggestions to make sure your glass cookware (like this kettle) last you a lifetime, make sure that the outside is clean and dry when you place it on the burner, and turn the burner on low temperature for a few minutes and then turn it to medium to heat-up. Gently easing-up the temperature like that allows the glass to expand slowly and prevents cracking (which happens when you heat fast - though only rarely). Another tip I mentioned earlier - always use the heat diffuser! You probably won't need it for gas ranges, but for electric and glass-top ranges, use it to be on the safe side. When you take the pot off of the hot burner - DON'T place it on a cold burner or on the counter - this causes the glass to contract quickly and could possibly cause it to crack eventually. Instead, place it on a folded, dry towel or on a pot holder or two. Let id cool before you rinse it or clean it. - Glass Kettle - Tea Kettle - Tea Kettles - Glass Teapot'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information