Wednesday 29 December 2010

Electric Grass Trimmer - electric trimmer, weed whacker


With a $25 gift certificate I got this for less than $10. It was well worth it. I am trying my best to get rid of needless gas motors because two ATVs, a lawn tractor and a mower is more than enough to maintain. I also wanted something that was very light so my wife could use it.



I have 3/4 of an acre of lawn and don't mind using cords to get where I need to. This little trimmer does everything it should. I easily trim around my raised garden beds and this unit is very good for precise trimming around flower beds, etc. The line feed is very easy to use.



I had no issues with shipping, the unit worked and still does. The best part is the local Home Depot had spare line reels for it. Try that with my old Home Lite gas trimmer. It was impossible to find parts.



I'm very happy with this purchase. Black & Decker ST1000 9-Inch 1.8 amp Electric Grass Trimmer

This small, light weight trimming/edging tool cuts in 9-inch swathes at a time. Because of its size, it is more controllable than the larger (12" - 14") trimmers.



The larger, more powerful trimmers are not suitable for many lawns. I took back one because of its imprecise cutting. The powerful motor resulted in the shredding of a wood edging that separates the lawn from an adjacent mulched area.



One problem with all trimmers is that there is nothing to catch the flying bits of lawn. The only thing that might help in the future is to lay a sheet over the mulched area adjacent to the lawn to catch the cuttings, and move the sheet as I go along. Perhaps this should come with a sheet? Again, the smaller, less powerful machine's precision reduces excess trimmings. This is also a less noisy machine and is easier to store than the more powerful trimmers.



Features include a trimming option so that you can trim lawn under protruding bushes or around rocks, etc. There's also a locking feature for the electric cord. YOu do need to occasionally "bump" the machine (literally lighting hitting it against the lawn) to advance the cutting wire, this takes a little practice to get right. However, the learning curve is fast, after a few outings I thought this was a fairly useful machine.



Update:



I now would not recommend this unless one has previous satisfied experience with it, or something very similar. The main problem is the weight of the cutting assembly at the end of a long "pole." The physics are simply against the user.

Add to that the need to recharge and replace the cutting wire, and, for ME, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits highlighted in the original review.

This trimmer is a step down from the last electric weed whacker I used. It can get the job done, but it doesn't do it as quickly - I find that I have to be much more careful in my technique, or the string will simply brush over grass blades and weeds without cutting them. My other beef is that there isn't a sufficient guard on the back side to keep my feet and legs from getting sprayed with clippings. I have to remember to change into old clothes before using this.



That said, when I bought this, I figured that for the price it didn't have to be that good to be worth it, and from that standpoint, I'd say it met expectations. If you need to do a lot of trimming, go for something better. But if you just need a trimmer occasionally, this should do the job just fine.

(Note: the trimmer is actually black in color)



For a small trimmer, it does the job better than expected. I have a lot of yard to trim and was able to easily trim the edges of the entire perimeter and nearly trimmed the entire lawn too, it now looks like I recently mowed.



Lightweight and easy to handle.



*Get a long sturdy cord to use (it's not included) and make sure to loop it through the hole in the end - which the instructions mention - so your cord doesn't pop out. **This is NOT a rechargeable, cordless trimmer.



For the low price, it's a great deal, particularly if you have smaller yard and don't want a big gas trimmer. It's cheap enough to be disposable!

Very pleasantly surprised by the reliability of this model. I have used a different brand, similar construction and price, an electric and a gas-powered trimmer. And this less-expensive B&D model is by far the least troublesome. In fact, I only had to rewind the spool one time and after that it fed nicely until it was only about 14 inches left. I'm not very dextrous at 'bumping', to eject more string, so I simply swing the head up, depressed the spring and pull out a little when it's needed. There seemed to be no lack of power to cut through some very tough weeds and stems. For the price, I don't know how a person could do better than this model trimmer. And because of its light weight, it's actually fun to use. Being so small, it can get into tight places, really neat'n them up. It's so light, you can control it with one arm, and also, you can easily turn it sideways to trim vertically, whacking off weeds growing through a chain-link fence from your neighbor's yard!

I have used this trimmer several times in the three months I've had it and am very pleased with it's performance. It works well, is extremely light-weight and reasonably priced. I have a back problem and needed a trimmer that wouldn't put any strain on my back and this trimmer fit the bill.

I have a lot of large pots under trees and in other grassy areas.....I love this trimmer. Its small head is perfect for getting in between pots---I don't have to shove heavy pots around to keep grass, asian jasmine, etc., tidy in all the areas where I've grouped bunches o' pots. All the other trimmers I could find were WAY too big. It's also a perfect size to allow me to do some pretty intricate edging in tight areas. This trimmer is GREAT. And amazingly sturdy for the price! I'm on my second one.....the first stood up to 6 years of heavy use. I was so glad to finally find a replacement! - Electric Trimmer - Trimmer - Weed Whacker - Black And Decker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Electric Grass Trimmer - electric trimmer, weed whacker electric trimmer Electric Grass Trimmer - electric trimmer, weed whacker