Wednesday 29 September 2010

Milwaukee M18 - cordless, 18 volt


...Like I was. When I got tired of my Ridgid cordless hammer drill always being dead, I bought this set from TEAM TOOLS and got it for 50.00 more than I paid for the Ridgid drill alone(paid 350.00 for the Milwaukee set).



The drill is light and compact compared to other drills, but has all the power you'll ever need. The hammer setting drills through concrete better than I expected. This is a nice drill and it has outstanding power. The light is a cool add-on, and you may become dependent on it after you use it. The balance is also right on, and it fits nicely into my Milwaukee toolbelt I purchased from Amazon due to it's compact size.



I took the saw out of the box, picked up an old, dried out treated 2x4 and ripped it down. There was no stalling, and it maintained a nice steady speed with no binding. I then took this saw, using the same battery I just used, to rip the 2x4 (twice) an then made a 25' pass across textured plywood siding on a garage. It was still going strong. I then took the same saw and cut several plumb cuts on soffits, 12 total. Yep, still going strong and the fuel gauge still has 3 bars. By the way, the "fuel gauge" option is very nice to have.





I am also impressed with the sawzall. I have an electric sawzall (Milwaukee)and am not sure if I will ever need it again. This cordless version makes up for having no orbital action yet produces higher rpms than the electric model. This saw rocks just as the circular saw does. These are impressive cordless tools and that is no exaggeration. By the way, the sawzall also has the quick change blade system. No more hex keys. Thankfully.



I have not yet tried the flashlight so I cannot comment on this as of right now, although after reading other reviewers complain about the type of bulb it uses, I am certain it is still adequate as a light source when needed.



I can't believe these cordless tools perform this well. I was in the trades when cordless tools first came out and they were nothing more at that point than a novelty item, other than a few drills.



Milwaukee is, and has always been a great tool choice. I've owned several prior to this purchase, and they have lasted for years.



Buy this set, you won't have any regrets. Milwaukee 2694-24 M18 18-Volt 4-Tool Cordless Combo Kit

I got this set about a month ago and as a contractor, it has been a great time saver. I do a lot of small projects and punch work and the saws work great for this. Anytime I don't have to drag out extension cords I am happy. The circ saw has no problem cutting through 2x8's, miratec, plywood, etc. and easy to handle. The recip saw has plenty of power and easy to change blades. The driver is has great power and balance and is far less cumbersome and heavy as the Dewalt 18v. I added the impact and it is a bad ass tool that handles large lags and is well balanced and comfortable. The charge indicator on the battery is an asset as well. BTW this set was ranked the best in Fine Homebuiling Magazine's 18v lithium Ion test.

I initally bought two set of tools and gave one set to my dad for Christmas. Upon setting up he had the bolt that sets the circular saw blade break off in the saw. I contacted Amazon and would you believe had set to me within 3 working days. They gave me 30 days to get the broken one back, but got us a new set that fast. WOW! They also provided a packing label for UPS or FEDEX (I can't remember) so we didn't have to pay chipping for the new set or the broken set to get back to AMAZON.



This is a credit to both the retainer (Amazon) and I assume the manufacturer for staning behind their product.



I'm a true believer and very satisfied with the tools since this little incident.

Three years ago I purchased this set's predecessor, the Milwaukee 0925-24 for $230 on super sale. In reviewing the pieces listed the only difference between the sets are the drill & batteries. The drill in this set has 55 lbs more torque; other than that, their specs are essentially the same. The Lithium batteries, however, qualifies this set as a definite step up.

First off, let me say that I love every tool in MY set. The drill/driver is the most powerful in its class that I've ever used. A lot of my friends love their DeWalts, and they're great, but this Milwaukee seems to have more torque - it's able to finish off those long screws with much less effort. I must say that the DeWalts are smaller & lighter, but I would rather have the power. Also, the "hammer" action works surprisingly well, especially when drivers are used.

The circular saw has worked far beyond my expectations. The power in that little saw is amazing. I had never used a cordless saw before and was expecting this to be a specialty tool I'd use in unique situations - but no, I love this thing. The ad says you can cut 150 2x4s on a single charge, well, I never counted but it sounds true. I thought I'd only be cutting thin plywood or 1xs, but this thing has cahonies! I wouldn't cut compound miters on 2x12s, but just about anything else you want, it'll do. Like I said, I never had used a cordless saw before, nor have I used any other one - so my opinion as to performance is limited to my experience with the Milwaukee. Maybe there are better ones out there, but all I'm saying is this thing is great.

The Sawzall is great also - so much lighter than my cord PC Tigersaw. Other than its light, strong & does the job, I can't say much more - I've only used a half dozen times.

The light was something I thought I'd give away. But using it once was enough - it is mine! The battery represents about 90% of the assembled unit's weight. This makes the center of gravity of the light very low, making the unit very, very stable. The bulbs (18V) are very bright, but very expensive (~$10). The lamp adjusts to any angle you need and stays there. The NC batteries seem to work for ever in the thing; I can only imagine how long the Lithium ones would last. The bag is a tank. Everything is double stitched, heavy nylon cloth, reinforced bottom and plenty of pockets (inside & out).

This leads us to the batteries. Mine are NC and, all in all, I was satisfied with them despite some horrible reviews I've read. However, when I realized I wanted one or two more, I went with the Lithium ones --- big, big change as to working charge - big difference. They are supposed to be like 20% lighter & hold 50% more working charge. But what I really like about them is that there is no performance drop-off as the battery looses charge. It is just like digital TV reception, it is either working or it isn't. This same feature can also be very aggravating when you're finishing up something, you're 200ft or 1 ½ stories away from the charger & a fresh battery.

I will be honest - I tend to overwork, even abuse my tools. All of these items have held up wonderfully. There have been few tool purchases that I have been happier with. I'm sure any one, pro or hack, would love this set. - Combo Packs - 18 Volt - M18 - Cordless'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Milwaukee M18 - cordless, 18 volt 18 volt Milwaukee M18 - cordless, 18 volt