Wednesday 11 August 2010

Tvs - tvs


I just purchased this TV locally to replace my Sony KDL-46Z4100 LCD TV in the master bedroom. I felt the picture on my Sony was too dark...especially for playing video games on the PS3 and/or Xbox 360. I researched via google and read that a plasma TV is better for a darker environment. After hooking up the TV to the wall mount and turning it on, I was shocked at remarkable picture improvement between the plasma and my previous LCD. I feel this TV is WELL worth the money, considering it came with 2 free pair of AGS250 (current 2011 model) 3D glasses. A couple of notes: make sure you turn the contrast down to 60 or less, since the factory settings have it at 100. If you leave it at the default setting, you'll have a problem with burn-in. I have mine set at 60/65 (contrast/brightness). You'll notice burn-in either way if you watch a lot of sporting events as I do (IE - any programming that has a non-moving bar along the bottom...like the current score of a game), but it's easy to get rid off by either tuning in a channel with white noise or using the TV's built-in ISM (Image Sticking Minimization) "white wash" feature to eliminate it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this purchase....GREAT VALUE! LG 50PZ550 50-Inch 1080p Active 3D Plasma HDTV with Internet Applications

I also just bought this tv locally from Frys for $799 with 2 pair of glasses. I have also noticed the same issue with the glasses turning off about every 10 minutes. Very annoying when playing a game online (Killzone 3). Hopefully theres a way to change that. It also seems that the 3D is a little slow to render and looks a little fuzzy but thats probably just the game. Havent tried alot of other 3D media yet.



When 3D is turned on there is a note that comes up that says it is best to sit 2 meters away from the TV for the best viewing. So plan on sitting relatively close to the tv when using 3D.



The 2D to 3D is an awesome feature. Didnt even know it was an option until I hooked it up. Watched a movie for about 2 min and it was pretty cool.



Hooked up my laptop with a VGA cord and played some video on it smoothly. I have a couple short stereoscopic cartoons that I played from the laptop and worked great. Not sure if its a standard feature or not but you can watch regular 3D media such as 3D blurays, side-by-side stereoscopic or top-and-bottom stereoscopic, and of course the 2d to 3d. Its a really awesome tv.



Another thing that kind of bothers me is that there is no headphone output for audio. Small annoyance though.

I really didnt research a lot about different capabilities and statistics of 3D TVs I just saw a great price and got it and have no regrets so far.

i'd give it 3.5 stars if i could. i got this tv and a pair of 3D glasses because i was anxious to get into 3D and have a Fuji 3D camera. the 3D part is pretty good. it's not like an Imax, but it's good 3D for now. my real complaints are with the glossiness of the screen. my wife wanted me to return the tv because of this. if you have any light in the room you will see yourself in the darker parts of the screen all the time (it serves as a room mirror when the tv is turned off). also, after adjusting the tv's settings and going through the built-in wizard and using a calibration disc, i just can't get the image to seem as good as the Olevia LCD hdtv that this is replacing. i was expecting this plasma to be an improvement; i know this isn't a high-end plasma, but it is in the same price range or more than the Olevia it is meant to replace. also, it is frustrating to have to be so mindful of the potential for burn-in. we watch a lot of old movies and unfortunately there are lines where the black bars from the 4:3 image was on the screen. you can use a solid screen of white or color-cycling for fairly brief periods of time to wash away the burn-in effects. i like the inputs the tv has, 4 hdmi ports are nice; it's also thinner which is nice. I would say this is a good tv, but wish it didn't have the caveats. if you plug in a network cable or get the wireless dongle you can can connect directly to Netflix and a couple of other services which is pretty nice, although i prefer the interface/resolution i get with my PS3. also, you can plug a USB flash drive directly into the tv which is pretty nice for slideshows etc.

I got this TV for $800 during a sale, so the price factors into the review based on other TVs at that price range. I could have probably gotten a better TV for hundreds more, but that isn't a factor.



Also, I am coming from a 42" LCD. This too has a lot to do with my review.



Picture: Coming from an LCD, I was not initially used to the plasma screen. LCD is much brighter and after using it for years I was a little surprised as the brightness (or lack thereof) on the plasma screen. After some changes to my basement, however (a single blackout curtain and moving one lamp) the screen appeared much brighter without all the light around it and it was no longer really an issue. I am still getting used to some slight glare of light on it from the window during the day, but my friends don't notice it and it is most likely just because I am extremely picky about things like that. As for the picture quality itself, I think it looks much better than the LCD I had and I am astounded by how much better HD content looks on it than my precious TV. It delivers a very beautiful picture.



Inputs: I mounted the TV on the wall, which made it kind of a pain to hook component and digital audio cables into the back, but there are HDMI and RCA inputs on the side which met my needs there. There are also two USB slots on the side. I've had no issues with HDMI compatibility with anything I've plugged into it (PS3, Xbox 360, HTPC, Onkyo receiver).



3D: I don't really care about 3D, and the inclusion of it on this device was basically just an added option for me. I don't plan on using it at all, so I can't really comment on it.



Image Retention: I've no had any troubles with it, even in my first couple of weeks of use. I might see a faint hint of the black bars from 4:3 content when switching, but it goes away near immediately. I use an HTPC which means lots of static windows and backgrounds and it hasn't been a concern. After 4 years of use, my old LCD had bad image retention issues, so I hope this one does better.



SmartTV: There is a suite of "apps" for this TV, including Youtube and Netflix, but I don't have an ethernet connection in my basement and I am not going to pay for a branded wireless dongle just to use it. My HTPC and PS3 stream all this stuff just fine so I have no need for it.



Overall: I kind of bought this TV on a whim, which I normally don't do (the $800 sale price and a windfall of some extra cash pushed me) but I am very pleased with the purchase. The only problems I have with it stem mainly from my move from LCD to Plasma, and I think they will cease to be problems once I settle in with this TV. There are lots of added options (3D, SmartTV) for people that might make a difference, but I am basically just reviewing the picture quality and compatibility with my other devices. On that front, it has worked flawlessly and I have nothing bad to say about it at all. For the price I paid, it has exceeded expectations. - Tvs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Tvs - tvs tvs Tvs - tvs