Tuesday 17 August 2010

Rechargeable Batteries - trimmer, black and decker


Purchased this trimmer several weeks ago and I've put it through it's paces since then. I have owned several Black & Decker products in the past and I must say I've never been more disappointed with one of their products.



You can talk all you want about what a nice job it does trimming and edging, but the bottom line is the current battery system they are using is woefully inadequate for all but the smallest of yards. 20 minutes of usable power is pathetic. Not to mention the 10 hours it takes to recharge the battery.



I almost choked when I saw they wanted $70 for a second 20 minute battery, and $35 for a 2-hour recharger. Are you kidding me? Black & Decker, if you're listening, prove to your customers you have their best interests at heart and come out with a corded adapter for this product. I would buy it in a heartbeat.



Otherwise, I cannot recommend this product in good faith. Black & Decker NST1024 24-Volt Cordless String Trimmer/Edger

Received this trimmer as a gift so I couldn't return it. But I would if I could. Tried it out a few times in my large yard but found that as well as it had trimmed my weeds, the battery life wouldn't allow me to finish the job. It is frustrating that such a good product has such a woefully inadequate battery that lasts no more than 20 minutes but takes 9-11 hours to charge. I refuse to pay the $70+ for a second battery. I'd rather buy a comparable product with an adapter so I can complete my yard work.

Hello Everyone, i want to say that i purchase this trimmer to upgrade from the 18v version. Here are my pluses:



PLEASE NOTE: From other readers about the problem with the batteries dying quickly. If you got 1 battery that died real quickly and then got a replacement and it works fine, it is possible that it is a manufacture defect or the battery could of been mishandled in a store enviroment (the packing doesn't offer a lot of protection for the battries). If you get 2 or 3 batteries that have the same problem, then it could be the trimmer is a defective unit. I know how much that is annoying, the good part is the 24 Volt trimmer is availible from Home Depot and Lowes, so if you buy it there and have this problem they shouldn't give you a hassle about exchanging it.



1) This unit has more balance and does not tire out my hands so quickly

2) The 2-speed use is nice, but the 5400rpm speed is sufficient for the majority of jobs that i do with it

3) The 2 black rings at the center make is easy to adjust the height

4) Attaching the handle was a little difficult because it was hard to get out the allen wrench that comes with it, but i understand why now, if it didn't hold on so well, you'd probaly lose it the next time you use the trimmer



Negatives:

1) Battery life could be a bit longer, and there is a solution for that, buy the 24 volt firestorm extreme batteries (a $5 premium over regular 24-volt) they quotely last 40% longer. I will see in a few days when i get my pair

2) Instead of including the overnight charger with the unit, let me pay another $10-20 for the unit to include a 24-volt rapid charger.

3) I noticed very quickly if you put the spoll of wire in upside down, the wire just flies out, make sure you have the gear-like looking side of the spool facing down away from the cap you put on. You should see a matching gear-like look on the trimmer to know you have it installed correctly.



Suggested add-ons for this unit:

1) Buy the 24-volt firestorm extreme batteries so you can get 40% more run-time, my guess would be about 40 minutes (conservitately speaking)

2) Instead of buying the silly 1 battery charge, buy the 24-volt dual charger, you'll save electricity from only having 1 transformer for charing the batteries, and it will take up less space

3) If you old cam-corder when you used to record movies with them, if you still have the bag with the strap, use that to lug the batteries around. The 24 volts are so big i cannot hold 2 in one hand at the same time, like wit the 18volt ones

4) When using the battries, when they start to get low, put it into the speed boost mode of 7200rpms. Try wearing the batteries down pretty good, if you don't, they won't accept and hold a charge well after about 5 or 6 charges

5) If you cannot bring the batteries inside over the winter and you have them in a unfinished and / or unheated garage, leave them in the rapid charges only, this will protect them with trickle charging to keep the batteries from dying.

I think this a very good battery trimmer. I can trim my lawn on the one battery, although there isn't much power left. The power is adequate for typical weeds. If you have a larger yard(1/2 acre or more)you may want to buy an additional battery. This trimmer is lightweight, fairly quiet, and easy to use.

I baught this just because 24 volt. Battery life is very short, less then 20 minutes. I owned electric one before, my neighbour suggested me buy a cordles, so I buaght. It is very powerful until it lasted. which is not long. I would not recomand this to anyone. I baught black and decker electric one again.

I have many Black & Decker products and this is the first time I'm sending something back..Battery won't hold a charge and string release shoots out string without any help from the user..Very disappointed - Edger - Trimmer - Black And Decker - Cordless Weed Whacker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rechargeable Batteries - trimmer, black and decker cordless weed whacker Rechargeable Batteries - trimmer, black and decker