Sunday 16 May 2010

Navigation Drving Directions - navigation drving directions, maps


I purchased this program with GPS recently to use with my laptop as a navigator on road trips. I have used it on a couple short trips so far, and it works great. Getting ready to use it on a long, 7,000+ mile road trip. Easy to use, easy to change course for side trips. I like the display of all restaurants and motels at any given spot. Great price - approximately $50. I saw this same product at Office Depot for $75. I like it better than a Garmin GPS I purchased a couple years ago for $500. Microsoft Streets And Trips With GPS

Only a couple of complaints. First, the documentation and help for this are horribly inadequate, causing a serious learning curve in order to figure out all the features. Be prepared for a lot of trial and error before you can quickly and easily navigate with this thing. You're on your own.



Second, the audio is VERY low. I have my laptop volume as far up as it can possibly go, and I still cannot understand the navigation voice over highway noise. And I drive a brand new car that is quite quiet. They definitely need to put a volume control on the program itself. I mean seriously, this is made to use in a car! What was MS thinking?



Third, the database of sites that can be displayed on the map is terribly inadequate. If you set it to display schools, you won't see many schools. I realise that new schools are being built all the time, but even old schools are commonly not shown. Same with many other sites. It would also be nice if fire and police stations were in the database to be shown as an option.



Now the good stuff. The program was incredibly easy to install, set up, and get started using. No problems at all quickly getting on the road with it, albeit very basically.



Not sure what everyone is complaining about with the GPS hardware. It has worked just fine for me. During the several interstate trips I have taken since buying this, I have only a couple of times lost GPS contact. But I had the GPS module attached directly to the laptop. The problem was very quickly remedied by putting the GPS module on the dashboard, using the extension cable.



I am amazed at how many streets that I would never expect to see appear on this product. Even the streets on some military bases and many private roads. It is also very good about showing all names for a road when multiple names are used locally. There are obviously some inaccuracies found in all maps, and this one is no exception. Some long closed streets still show up, and some newer ones still do not. But overall, the accuracy is extremely impressive. I have used Delorme, and this program is definitely more accurate and easier to use.

When using MS Streets with the GPS Doggle it allows 2D Map view rather than the 3D tunnel view that the Garmin/TomTom family of windshield GPS units offer. Have already found streets (that have been built for years) missing and 1 incorrect in a small area. There mapping company needs help. A co-worker with a TomTom that is a year older has the (missing) streets. Good program, but the data needs more updates sooner.

I've used Streets & Trips for several years now and have been pretty satisfied with the software itself. I decided to update to 2009 and get the GPS receiver with it this time. Being familiar with how a GOOD GPS works (I have both a Garmin auto and hand-held) I should have known better than to spend the extra money to get the Pharos receiver in the package. A wire coathanger could pick up satellites as good as this thing does.

not what i would expect from Microsoft,used the gps in town,location was 4 blocks further than gps said ,it uses old hwy numbers,typed in address in Louisiana that I pick up trailers,pulls up Port Allen,La. There is no hwy 165 there.Uses shortest route,even if practical is faster,no way to change settings to avoid,unless I just can;t find in menu..overall,not finding good adresses and/or coming up blocks short,makes having this product rather useless...it is easy to use though...have an issue with the install....states registry settings were not installed correctly...had to go to program files..open software there,create shortcut...then open as administrator...can't use by just simply clicking on like normal,over all,not worth the headache of just trying to figure out how to even open to use..then to find out,I'm reading hwy numbers that were retired years ago.Also,cannot get software updates,have to purshase the next release,over all,very dissapointed in this softwares outdated info and not finding known addresses...but it will get you close,you can ask for better directions when you get the city limits...lol - Navigation Drving Directions - Maps - Gps - Navigation'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Navigation Drving Directions - navigation drving directions, maps navigation Navigation Drving Directions - navigation drving directions, maps