Friday 23 April 2010

Replacement Battery - battery pack, cordless drill


Note: I've only had to purchase one of these recently because my wife "cleaned up" around the house, and the charger and my spare battery both disappeared, maybe thrown away, maybe put in a secure location for storage, never to be seen again, or maybe "rediscovered" in another eight or ten years . . .



Four things I like about this product:



1. Power delivery. My experience with this battery has been a steady flow of power in all weather and temperature conditions, for up to five straight hours of pretty steady use. When the battery starts to fade, there is no slow and gentle decrease in power, the battery just gives. I like the fact that you get uninterrupted, max power right up to the point of failure, when it becomes absolutely clear that it's time to recharge.



2. Fit and integration. When you slide this battery into the tool, there is no play, no jiggling, no movement. The battery becomes part of the tool, indeed, the tool was designed from this point of view, specifically in the weighting of the drill. I've never had any problems with the battery sliding in or out, seating itself, or making the right contacts. This is good basic design.



3. Interchangeability. This battery pulls out and drops right into a range of Skil tools, and I like that. What I like best is that after a good three, four years down the road, Skil still hasn't phased this line out, and the tools and batteries all still work together. I don't see the planned obsolescence, the cynical corporate plan for every owner to be forced to upgrade to a new system as a slightly older line matures, and I like it. That's a good way to generate brand loyalty, at least with this consumer.



4. Charging. The battery charges quickly, and holds its charge for a good long time. If it's been stored for a while without use, yes, it needs a shot, but it charges surprisingly quickly.



The one thing I don't think is that great about this product has to do with charging, specifically overcharging. I learned this one the hard way. I had the basic charger, and it worked just fine. At some point I had a battery in the charger for an extended period of time--I just plain forgot--and it went maybe a week or so plugged in. Well, that killed both the battery and the charger, an expensive set to replace. I learned about this only after I went online to find out what had happened. Was that in the owner's manual? Maybe. I can't tell you as I've lost it, so maybe it's my own fault. But buyer/user beware: charge your battery and then unplug both the charger from the wall and the battery from the charger right away, or you'll be buying yourself a new set of both.



And make sure you dispose of this battery properly when it reaches the end of its life. Radio Shack will take them off your hands for free. Skil 144BAT 14-2/5-Volt 1-1/5-Amp Hour NiCad Pod Style Battery

I was skeptical about whether I should buy a new drill or just get a new battery for the one I had, because I heard opinions for both options. I opted to get a new battery and my drill is back to its normal self - full of power! The only reason I didn't give the rating 5 stars is because I don't know the longevity of this battery. So far I am fully satisfied and saved some money reusing my old drill.

This was bought as a replacement battery for a Skil drill. The first battery didn't last long because I used the drill only occasionally and didn't keep the battery at full charge. Nicad batteries are notorious for this problem, and my recent drill purchases have been the newer drills--with lithium batteries.

I'm very pleased with both the price and availability of this 14.4 battery pack to replace one that had lost its charge and would not recharge. I received this in a timely manner and am pleased with the ease in which I was able to order this. Thank you so much.

Amazon was a good source to get this battery pack. The price was right in line with other sources and the shipping was free. The item was delivered very quickly and in perfect condition. My variable speed drill has received a new life! - Replacement Battery - Skil - Cordless Drill - Battery Pack'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Replacement Battery - battery pack, cordless drill battery pack Replacement Battery - battery pack, cordless drill