Sunday 20 December 2009

Tile Cutter - tile cutter, rotary tool accessories


I had some tile already laid, and I needed to make a precision cut so I could breakup and remove a section of it. I ordered this diamond blade, along with the EZ402 EZ Lock Mandrel, because of its wider diameter. I thought the larger size would make it easier, and I was right. The blade worked fine. I've also used it to cut through two metal brackets.



The EZ Lock mandrel system is okay. It provides easier switching of blades and attachments. But it does allow some play in the position of the blade during cutting. The spring-loaded mandrel locks the blade from coming off the end of the post, but it does allow the blade to push down the post toward the motor. So when you're cutting, you just need to be careful not to twist the orientation of the dremel tool out of alignment with your cut. It was nothing that prevented me from doing the job. Dremel EZ545 1-1/2-Inch EZ Lock Diamond Wheel

The EZ Lock system is fantastic. No more screwing and unscrewing that tiny screw - no more wasted time! The diamond grit cuts through material in nothing flat and gives confidence with a sturdy feel. No fear that the wheel will shatter. I recommend it to anyone who is cutting ceramic or other material requiring a diamond blade.

The only word that comes to mind is...PHENOMENAL! Out of the box will cut through a 1/2 inch of porcelain floor tile with ease. I wish I could have found this beauty earlier. This is going to make cutting circles and odd shapes a breeze. I ended up buying three. What a great wheel!

I had some gorgeous 12" x 12" floor tiles that were made in Spain. They were ten dollars each so I didn't want to mess up my cuts. I noticed that my tile saw created chipping along the cut in the tile glaze. To keep the dust down and get as smooth a cut as possible I used water with this EZ545 blade. I put a medium size box inside a plastic trash bag and pressed out the air. Then I filled the lined box with water. I clamped a straight edge on each tile. I used the dremel flex shaft 225-01 with this EZ lock blade. While the tile was submersed in half an inch of water I dipped only the blade in and started cutting. In around 10 seconds this heavy floor tile was sliced like butter without a chip in the glaze. This blade was amazing. I was sprayed alot but it was worth it.

I tore the carpet out of my house and put in tile. We set a tile and decided to change the lay out after it set up. Rather than rip the tile out I bought this cool diamond wheel, chucked it in my Dremel, added a little water and cut a perfect 16 in. line in a very conspicuous spot. Worked great. The satisfaction was worth saving the tile.

This tool is very durable. It easily cuts mosaic tile and it is great for removing grout. So far, I have trimmed 5 ft. of tile and excavated roughly 15 ft. of grout to repair a mosaic tile floor--with no detectable wear on the disk. This item is expensive, but it outlasts the traditional abrasive disks by a long shot.



I recommend using this easy lock version rather than the same type of disk with the traditional mandrel with end screw. The easy lock seems to do do a much better job of holding the disk and keeping it from spinning around if the screw becomes loose. This package seems to be the best deal for getting the easy lock mandrel plus a few heavy duty composition abrasive disks for lighter work -- Dremel EZ406 1 1/2-Inch EZ Lock Rotary Tool Cut-Off Wheel and Mandrel Metal Cutting Starter Kit.

If you plan on using this blade to make odd shaped cuts on ceramic/porcelain tile it is the wrong tool for the job. Although the blade does work at first it does not last. I made approximately 4 4 inch cuts before it was worn out. Considering that this is 15+ dollars I find the durability completely unacceptable. You are much better off making odd shaped cuts with a Jigsaw and a diamond blade (I started using a Bosch T130DG 3-1/4"). A jigsaw blade will last your entire tiling job and costs less and is a much better bang for your buck (I would estimate having to purchase 10 of these for the lasting power of the T130DG).

This may not be the easiest or fastest way to cut tile, stone and glass, but if you don't want to spray water all over your basement, it's freezing outside so that's not an option, and you still need to cut a little tile, this will (eventually) do the trick (I wouldn't use it for more than very small amounts - I was working with 1"x1" pieces that needed cutting. For that alone it was worth it! The EZ Lock feature is great - I just wish the rest of my attachments all had this! If it's summer, however, go outside and get muddy from a water-based tile cutter.

I bought this diamond wheel to finish a hand full of cuts when putting in porcelain tiles on a bathroom cabinet. The wheel worked perfectly. After about 30 min of continuous use on the porcelain tiles I was still able to use this wheel to make alterations to a glass microwave plate and the wheel still has a great edge. I have seen varying reviews on these wheels so I would keep the receipt and be ready to return, but mine worked great and I would have no problem buying it again. - Tile Cutter - Rotary Tool Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Tile Cutter - tile cutter, rotary tool accessories tile cutter Tile Cutter - tile cutter, rotary tool accessories