Tuesday 27 October 2009

Plantronics - bluetooth, wireless


I was drawn to the design of this bluetooth headset. It is, compared to other headsets, a work of art! The price was a bit off-putting, but I splurged, knowing that if I didn't like it I could return it within 30 days. I gave it several trials on road trips of varying lengths, as well as just walking around while doing errands. I liked the way the ear loop fit around my ear much better than the usual covered wire ear loops. I liked how you couldn't really see it that much when hidden by my hair, though even when it was visible the design was not as "call center" as some others. I liked the little "stone" that, in addition to being a charging station, was a great storage device and made it easy to locate when I dug for it in my purse.



And that's the end of what I liked.



Here's what I didn't like: I didn't like that I never could get the earbud positioned to fit comfortably in my ear, and because the loop that fits around the ear is fixed rather than adjustable, there really wasn't any ability to adjust it so the earbud was in the right place for my ear. I think the earbud was too large, and I didn't see any extra earbuds of different sizes that could be used instead. I didn't like that I couldn't really tell if I was adjusting the volume up or down because the volume adjustment is under the "skin" of the earpiece---honestly I was never sure I had even activated the volume control. I didn't like that when trying to adjust the headset so I could hear, I invariably hit the spot that cuts off the phone call---that happened at least a dozen times in the first two weeks. I didn't like that when I pressed on the spot that ends a call or is used to redial the last number, I ended up pressing the whole thing into my ear, which is not at all comfortable. And here is the worst part: the call time is ridiculously short, and even the standby time is inadequate. When I made my 8 hour road trips, as I often do, I had to take the bluetooth off and recharge it at least once during the trip, and that means that for that time I no longer had the hands-free capability while driving, which is the whole point of owning a bluetooth for me. I hear that it is able to be used to listen to music; this is not a priority for me, but I can't help but think it would be annoying to have such a short amount of time to listen to the music before it had to be recharged.



I think I would have learned to live with all the other problems I mentioned if it weren't for the very inadequate talk time and standby time. It really is the most beautiful bluetooth out there. But at that price, this thing should be absolutely perfect, and the time issue is a non-starter for me. Jabra STONE Bluetooth Headset with Extreme-Noise Blocking

I did due diligence but choose to not believe the other reviewers, HOWEVER:



Battery life is 2 hours. That's it. I tested and timed it, playing an audiobook. Stopped at exactly 120 minutes.

You can put it back in the cradle, and get another charge w/o AC - but you can't use it while it is in the cradle. So . . . count on 2 hours a charge.

If you don't talk a lot, or don't want to stream music etc., that may be fine for you.



1. GREAT feature: you can listen to your music etc wirelessly. I am learning French so THAT is exactly why I bought this unit. No more headphones, or being attached to the iphone. But the 2 hours when I am out for a long walk doesn't work. And when the charge is gone, even the phone function is clearly useless.



2. EASY to connect ... better than any others I have had, including Plantronics.



3. LOOKS cool and I love the "stone cradle" with a belt loop . . . . if you are "left eared" this is useless - fits on right only and no ear loop adjustment.



4. The built in volume works fine, as does the voice dialing features, etc



5. The big let down is the 2 hr. charge. Mainly as the packaging/advertising is simply deceptive. - Wireless - Bluetooth - Headset - Jabra'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Plantronics - bluetooth, wireless headset Plantronics - bluetooth, wireless