Friday 9 October 2009

Accessory Kits - xbox kinect, 360


Would not fit on my new 40" Samsung LED or even my old 47" Samsung LCD. No directions, just a bunch of odd screws and bolts. Even if it could fit on my old LCD (still about an inch short) the holes don't line up to attach this thing and even if the holes did line up, the screws wouldn't even fit.



Returned this and got my $40 back and came up with an ingenious solution.



Buy the PS3 Eye Camera Mounting Clip for $9.99, (stay me with me), and buy Scotch(R) Heavy-Duty Fasteners, 2 Sets of 1 x 3 Inches, Strips ,Black (RFD7091). Cut to fit and cover top of PS3 eye mount and bottom of Kinect camera. Stick them together and presto, good looking TV mount under $15. Fits perfectly on my Samsung 47" LCD and looks as if they were made for each other. Better than this overpriced piece of garbage that doesn't even work. Its that or wait until a better solution comes along.(LED owners will have no choice but to wall mount)



But do not buy this thing. They are unfortunately (for the time being), the only top mounting TV mount for the Kinect and are capitalizing on it by ripping people off for a flimsy piece of plastic and a bunch screws and bolts for $40. Do not buy! Xbox 360 Kinect TV Mount

For the most part the reviews for this item have been rants about the lack of quality or compatibility of this product.



1. Price: Yes, I agree that $40+ is too much for a plastic mount. That's why i gave this item 4 Stars instead of 5.



2. Compatibility: I have a Samsung 47" that seems to be the target of this items main complaint. But after taking the mount out of the box and figuring out how it would fit my television the mount was a perfect sturdy fit.



3. Quality: It seems to be made of the same high gloss plastic that the Kinect is made from. The legs are plastic but sturdy enough to hold a sensor that is less than 5lbs.



I realize that lots of item reviews tend to be rants from customers that feel they've been scammed, but aside from the flat screens that are too skinny to accommodate the top of the mount, this item fits my TV perfectly. I had even read the "bad" reviews before getting the item and expected a flimsy disappointment. I'm glad to say it wasn't, and by mounting my Kinect on top of my TV i gained an extra foot of play space in my tiny-ish living room.

My kinect would have a much better angle of view if it were on top of the TV rather than on the base, but I've got a 3 year old 50" plasma and like others, this product won't fit the mounting holes on the back of the TV. It won't expand wide enough to reach the top holes (unless I want to mount it 6" above the TV, which doesn't seem too safe), and is too short to meet the bottom ones. Telescoping legs or an additional extension would have solved the problem. There aren't that many mount standards out there so its pretty pathetic that the designers didn't go through the trouble to see if it fits them--and even more pathetic that MSFT approved it anyway. No other option out there, so I'm going to try to jury rig it, but don't bother buying this if you have a large screen that requires a heavy duty wall bracket.

FYI, I bought this then returned this. It is made for a regualr style HDTV. I have a thin LED TV and it sits almost 3 inches past the TV, it's supposed to sit back and flush. It is made to TV's that are around 3 to 8 inches thick(guesstimate can't find real data). I also had problems getting it to mount. It says to use screws in back. I have 2 sets, 1 high, 1 low. Hooked to low it won't reach top of TV. Hooked to top the extensions are to long and I had to put one screw thru the hole in the arm and the other thru the extension as close to the arm as I could cause when I tried to line it up the holes where behind the end/tips of the arms where there was no holes. By the way that made it tip about 15 degrees cause of how I had to try and mount it. Thats when I found out the actual mount that hooks to the arms that holds the Kinect sat to far forward on my TV. I ended up just taking it back. I'll have to figure something else out instead.



FYI I have a Samsung 46" LED HDTV. I would figure Samsungs 46" design is same on all of the 46"cases only the insides would be different but I can't say for sure. If you have a 46" Samsung you can try but if it is a thin TV, less than 3" or so thick, I can tell you already it won't work cause it sits to far forward. You can leave it but when it comes to a moving $150 remote head on top or my $2000 TV, I'm personally not taking a chance of it moving to much or just not enough support.

My husband and I just bought a new 47" Vizio LED Razor TV. So it's about 1.85 inches deep. We've also had the Kinect for our kids. We use our TV on its' stand in a kiddie corner setup. I had looked at all sorts of mounts for placing the Kinect on top of the TV and I must say after reading all of these reviews I was totally against wasting our money on this product. That is until I went and looked at it in a store. We did end up buying the mount and I must say it works great. Yes it is plastic, where you actually screw the unit to your TV is the only metal. The directions were terrible I can agree on that, but my 12 yr old was able to figure it out so its' still fairly easy to put together even without looking at the directions. We had no problem lining up the holes with our top holes on the back of our TV. I had read many complaints about using this on thin LED panels, and if you leave the mount unmodified it will hang over the TV a few inches. Our solution, we used velcro, we attached the front lip of the mount to the front of our TV. What you end up with is a smooth looking front, you cannot see the velcro at all, and the mount looks exactly as it should if it was on a deeper TV, with the kinect and mount flush with the front of our TV. (Note: this does push the back of the mount out behind the TV two inches, but if it's on a stand your stand probably sticks out 5 inches.) I will admit this approach will not work if you have your TV mounted on the wall, but if you do a better solution exists, just buy the wall mount.



Overall, the product works as advertised. I am confident the Kinect will never fall, it is secure. Even when the Kinect moves to scan the room there is no shaking. Overall, yes it is pricey. But compared to the other $20 hodge podge solutions people are coming up with, I am happy we spent twice as much and got a solution that actually works, and secures our Kinect. I can post pictures if needed. Time of setup and install was approximately 5 minutes.



Anyone who is nervous about using velcro on their TV note, the glue is not needed to be strong on the velcro, we used ordinary light duty velcro and it worked, we did do a test on the back of our TV to see any residue left from removing the velcro, there was minimal which we were able to completely clean using Goo Gone. - Tv Mount - 360 - Xbox Kinect - Bracket'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Accessory Kits - xbox kinect, 360 xbox kinect Accessory Kits - xbox kinect, 360