Wednesday 26 August 2009

Dog Saddle Bag - dog back pack, dog hiking


I gave this only 4 stars for the simple reason, the sizing is a little off. I use it on a Staffie Bull Terrier (smallest of the pit bull breeds, 40lbs) and its a little large on her. But with that said, the bags stays in place while she walks 3 to 4 miles daily with 2-8oz bottles of water. She actually gets worn out, and if anyone owns any type of terrier breed you know these dogs go on forever. In addition, she loves to pull and comes from a long line of AKC registered award winning "weight pullers". Imagine how suprised I was to find NO MORE PULLING. She proudly walks right beside me with what seems like a purpose!



I love these bags, and this one has done the trick. I just ordered another one for my American Pit Bull Terrier, hopefully it will do wonders on her too :) Kurgo 00028 Wander Pack Dog Backpack

I bought this backpack to put on my dog when we go for long walks in the city. She has a lot of energy and I was hoping that adding a little weight would tire her out more than just walking alone.



I was a little disappointed in the size of the saddlebags - they barely fit two standard sized bottles of water. When I tried to zip each side, it was really tough and the zipper kind of bent. I haven't attempted to re-zip the bags after taking the water out; I'm afraid it'll break.



If you're looking for something that will merely hold treats or food, this could be for good use. If you want it to hold anything bigger, buy something else.

This is a great product it is very durable and adjustable. It fits my friends Black and Tan Coon Hound and my own Blue Heeler. I love it for walking my Blue Heeler. With out the backpack it seems like he could walk all day and never get tired, now when we go for our 3 mile walk everyday (with the backpack on) he finally seems tired at night. I strongly recommend this dog pack for any active dog, giving them a job and some weigth really helps to calm them down and help them focus. This product is also very well made. I had bought another dogpack from Petco and after the first few wears the seems were already ripping. Not this one I've used it probably 5 days a week for the past month and had one standard sized water bottle in each pocket and it is still like new.

My dog (a year and a half foxhound/labrador mix that I adopted a month ago) has developed severe separation anxiety, and according to Cesar Milan one of the solutions is to give him more exercise before I leave in the morning. Since a two hour walk before the hour of seven seemed a little excessive, I began looking for other answers to this dilemma.



The suggestion of a doggie backpack with filled water bottles or other weighted material (not too much, but enough to make the dog work harder) was presented to me. I loved the idea of giving my dog the workout he deserves without completely tiring myself out before a day at work to do it, and also the idea of him being able to carry his own water, food, toys, and treats on long hikes and camping trips once the summer months roll around. Therefore I began scouring Amazon for quality packs that weren't too overpriced. I was shocked to see some dog packs that cost more than the backpack I carried in college, but this one seemed to be of quality construction and was affordable to boot (and eligible for Amazon Prime shipping, which is a major bonus).



I am pleased to tell you that this product was everything I was hoping for and more. The straps are fully adjustable, so I got the perfect fit for my dog after only a couple of adjustments. You can even adjust where the saddlebags fall on the dog's flanks, so the pack can fit a wide range of dogs. The materials are also very high quality and I can tell that this was designed to be an item that gets ample use throughout its lifetime. I managed to squeeze two 32 oz Nalgene bottles, filled with water for weight, into the saddle bags, and I can't believe the change in my dog. He is calmer and more submissive, and his separation anxiety is already decreased.



Bottom line: if you are looking for a quality pack for your medium to large sized dog, BUY THIS ONE! The price is right and the quality is great!

The zipper on the side pouches is a bit difficult to access and open, and the straps are very difficult to loosen/tighten. It was quite a process to fit it on my dog perfectly.

Once you get that over with though, it's great. It seems comfortable, and it's been a really good way to walk my extremely energetic dog to make him tired.

I recommend it, but would still browse around for other options as well.

I really like these saddlebags! My dog does too! We try to run every day to keep in shape, and it's nice to have him carry things. He loves carrying my phone, the water, and the car keys! The bags stay out of his way while he's running, and don't seem to slow him down any. It took him only 10 minutes to get used to having the bags at his sides, but before I knew it, he was running like his usual self. I think the way the bags are designed make him less likely to pull also. I really like having the hook on the back of the harness too because it keeps the leash away from his legs so it doesn't get tangled. The bags themselves are relatively large. They fit a bottle of water on each side, along with my phone, and keys like I said. I wouldn't put much more in there because I wouldn't want to put too much weight in them and hurt my dog. I have an australian cattle dog. He has a huge barrel chest and this fit him so If you're worried about fit, I wouldn't. The straps extend to much more than necessary for my dog. Not only does this give your dog a job when you're out and about, it makes it easier to carry more water along. My dog really liked that we could stop halfway through our run to take a little break and get a drink. Hope this helps!

Bought this backpack for a very active Vizsla but, unfortunately, the fit does not work for our dog. He has a deep chest and, although the backpack is for dogs 35-85lbs., we could not make it work for our 60-65lb. dog. The neck yoke was a bit too tight and the straps could not be adjusted to make it sit comfortably on the dog. Pity, as the sacks are the right size for our purposes and it looks like it is well made. We will return it. - Dog Saddle Bag - Dog Hiking - Dog Back Pack - Dog Packs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dog Saddle Bag - dog back pack, dog hiking dog hiking Dog Saddle Bag - dog back pack, dog hiking