Saturday 27 June 2009

Polymer Clay Techniques - jewelry, polymer clay


I was recently contacted about reviewing Sherri Haab's newest book from Random House Sherri Haab Jewelry Inspirations, Techniques and Designs from the Artist's Studio.

When it arrived I was not disappointed when I placed the book on my workbench, I began slowly turning the pages anticipating each one. The beginning chapter about `living a creative life' is necessary to look at the world differently pulling those details into your art. I found that it drew me in and kept my interest with the beautiful photographs of the studio, jewelry, and art. What happened was I truly wanted to learn how her mind worked with the why and instead of skipping the intro to get to the fun stuff, I READ it :) Plus.....she had, in the 70's, the Sunshine Family which gave her creative side a kick start. These dolls were too much fun in my world too! They got my creative juices flowin' up cycling the most common household items into their little lives, lol. I felt then a connection with Haab immediately! Not only with these dolls but, also with how she took the reader into the studio.



I fell in love with the studio and wanted to snoop around its sacred spaces...

thumbing through file folders brimming with magazine clippings or rattling through colorful bead filled bottles lining the shelves. She admits in not being totally organized or a cleaning fanatic for that takes away from her creative self, I liked that imperfect admission.



As I gave each page its turn she did not let me down, as an artist, in her knowledge and direction. The directions were detailed and doable for not only a novice but, a seasoned artisan as myself showing new and valuable techniques. I have played with a lot of the materials Sherri features in this book. She managed to give me a renewed vision with these mediums and materials in my current work and also perhaps upcoming revised plans for future pieces.



Another link between all artists is our collection of `stuff'. The photos did a beautiful job with, I am sure, just a snippet of her many collections of antique, vintage and retro inspirations that she collected from her family or from her life.



I truly loved this book and now cannot wait to further my own library with more from this talented artist!



enjoy,

~Stephanie Distler

[...]. Sherri Haab Jewelry Inspirations: Techniques and Designs from the Artist's Studio - Polymer Clay - Mixed Media - Beadwork - Jewelry'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Polymer Clay Techniques - jewelry, polymer clay mixed media Polymer Clay Techniques - jewelry, polymer clay