Tuesday 14 April 2009

Magnetic


This is an impressive tool. It is beautifully made and it does the job. I appreciate that it holds the plug with a very strong magnet and not the fiddly rubber socket insert used on lesser tools. You won't drop a plug with this tool. After installing a plug, the socket comes up with the extension so there's no frustrating fishing for it. The knurled shaft helps you to spin it with your fingers. A great time saver and a great tool. Well worth the amazingly low price. GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket

I've used several different spark plug sockets over the years and this is definitely the best. The socket is magnetized and this greatly facilitated getting the spark plugs out of the holes and made installing the new ones a snap. I also appreciated the swiveling feature for changing the back spark plugs on the transversely mounted V6 in our 2004 MPV minivan.



I'm almost sad that I'll likely only use this every 60K or so miles (but not really since the back spark plugs really are a pain to change!).

I just replaced all 6 plugs on my 2003 Sienna at 91K miles. The back 3 plugs are very difficult to change. It took me about 10 minutes for the front 3 plugs but 2 hours for the back 3. Most time was spent on unscrewing the bolts and plugs as they were very tight and untouched for 6 years and the room for ratchet movement is small. Both swivel and magnetic features were extremely useful for removing the back 3 plugs. Yes, it has magnets in it, which seems to be not mentioned in the description. I bought mine from Advance Auto Parts.

Used this to change plugs on both a 2001 Mercedes Benz ML320 and 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Made changing plugs a breeze. Socket has excellent fit tolerance onto plugs. Swivel allows wrenching in tight spaces. Permanent extension means no separation from socket in depths of engine block (as Mercedes plugs are impossible to reach with bare hands). Magnetic feature helps to know when socket is fully seated on plug and prevents dropped plugs. Got it for $5 with coupon at Advance Auto Parts.

I needed to replace the plugs on my 06 Mitsubishi Lancer and this socket worked perfectly. The magnetic tip, the length, and the arm made it a no-hassle job. I'd recommend to anyone. Save yourself the cost of going to mechanic and just learn how to do it yourself. You'll appreciate it more in the end.

The socket is a true achievement. Unlike cheaper T-handle tools this socket actually lets the user feel where the thread starts, and also unlike the T-handles, a torque wrench can be used to tighten the spark plug to the prescribed torque. The joint allows some swivel action for those who need it (I don't), but it doesn't wobble uncontrollably like the T-handles do.

This is a 3/8th Drive Socket. I went to do my spark plugs and bought a extended reach spark plug tool from another store, it has a rubber thing inside of it to hold the spark plug. I did a test run and it only held the plug once so I junked it and went to look for another. I came across this socket on amazon with great reviews from everyone so I had to try it. I bought it locally and did my plugs today and what a pleasure it was to use this tool. It held the spark plug perfectly. The Pivoting joint helps a bit as well. over all a solid 5/5 spark plug socket.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Magnetic Magnetic Magnetic