Thursday 9 April 2009

Kayaks


This is just a really nice kayak. Comes from the factory with things like a drain plug, thigh pads, carrying handles and can holders. It's really easy to get into and out of and for a few bucks you can rig it with pole holders and bungees and you're ready to go. Easy for one person to handle for loading and unloading and is super stable in the water. It tracks well and sits high in the water. I liked my first one so much I'm in the process of buying a second one for my wife. Old Town Canoes and Kayaks 10 Vapor Recreational Kayak, Cloud

I bought this kayak two years ago at the end of the season.They only had one color lime green but I loved the large cockpit. I have an eighty pound dog who loves to be out on the water. I take her with me regularly. We are both comfortable in it. I admit that it handles better without her weight in the bow but I love to have her there. When I am alone in it I can really stretch out, carry camera equipment and it does handle better without her. It is very stable, easy to get in and out and fits easily inside my CRV with the back tied down. I can load it my self and carry it to the water. I am 76 years old and kayak almost every day in the warmer months. From New Hampshire

This kayak is great. It tracks well, is very stable, and seems faster than other kayaks I've used. It is also short enough to throw in the back of my truck so I don't have to bother with a roof rack. Get a long paddle.

I brought two last year one like this on and the 12 foot old town angler. It is the same boat just two foot longer. Me and my wife love them. We have had them both on streams and lakes. They sure have made kayakers out of us.

After a few days of reading different reviews, comparing prices, models etc. I decided I'd give the Vapor 10 a try. I am new to kayaking and didn't want to go with a more expensive boat right off the bat. After ordering, i received notification that the boat was shipping very quickly and was contacted by the shipper (in my case, it was handled by Pilot freight, Boston, ma). They gave me a tracking number and everything.



The boat arrived within 5 days and I needed to be home to receive and sign for the item from the shipper. The boat came wrapped up in thick mil plastic and had some protective bumpers on the bow and stern... So it seemed like it was in good condition upon initial inspection. Upon further inspection, I noticed a gash in the hull about half the thickness of the material. Now, I know it was able to handle water and be safe but I did believe that it significantly shortened the life of the boat. This is where amazon stepped up to the plate. I took a picture of the daname and wrote an email to them. They quickly responded with an offer the replace the item free of charge....including return shipping!!! The replacement came within 5 days and I was very impressed. The new boat was flawless. This incident, mainly how it was handled, is a prime reason why I love amazon. They are quick to correct any problems.



Now, the boat. It is super easy to move around from vehicle to shore and is easy to pick up. The construction overall is excellent. I did not notice any defects or any indicators that construction was shoddy or put together hastily. Another reason that I purchase this model is because of Old Towns reputation for quality. It sure does show in this boat. The cockpit is wide and long, perfect for any activity....I like how I can put the seat back and put my legs up and almost fall asleep!! It's a very comfortable boat. Im about 200lbs and 5'6" and have no problems with it. There is ample room bow and stern to stow items. I have a rather large dry bag that I place behind the seat and have a cooler and other items that I keep in the bow. The dry hatch in the stern is not a hatch...there is no cover included with the vapor 10. You must purchase this separately....about 50bucks on amazon. The seat is relatively comfortable. I have a large beach town that I fold up and sit on to make it a littleq more comfortable. I do wish that I could have the seat from the XTS though. It seems like it would be more comfortable, but this one is just fine. There is a cup holder in the seat and also a dash area in the bow that allows for a pair of sunglasses, tackle, sunscreen or whatever.



Overall, this boat handles well for a ten footer. I only use it on ponds and lakes and have not used it in any rough water. I feel very stable in it. It glides thru the water easy, and tracks well for a boat that is this length and style. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a quality boat without committing to a large purchase.

I bought this kayak for one reason - so I could train for a long swim in a lake while someone else guided me in the kayak. This kayak is kept outdoors at a lake and seems impervious to weather. It is also impervious to children banging on it in the lake all day long. I think it might be indestructible.



It is incredibly simple to use, even for a total novice.



Pros - strong, lightweight, easy to use



Cons - does not tack incredibly straight, seat appears a little flimsy



Bottom line - no nonsense kayak at a no nonsense price. Plus, with free shipping it is a deal. I had it shipped to our lake house in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea how they made money on this thing.

I ordered this Old Town Vapor 10 and it will be my 2nd one. I love this kayak and feel it is worth every penny. It is a good sturdy kayak and has great stability. I suggest ordering the deck hatch for a better storage option. I've found this hatch cover makes the deck storage a great cooler! This kayak is 2nd to none in overall comfort and room and offers lots of storage for carrying extras. For those who want white water forget this one, it's not for you as is does lose handling in moderately unsteady waters. Experienced kayakers should know not to buy a recreational kayak for that purpose anyway. But if you want a great kayak for paddling or fishing in rivers or open waters this one tracks wonderfully. Definitely 5 stars from me!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kayaks Kayaks Kayaks