Tuesday 17 March 2009

Shower Caddy Tension Pole Rust - shower storage, oxo


This is a phenomenal product. I'd give it ten stars if I could, and while it's certainly expensive, the price is more than matched by the quality. I was a bit reluctant to shell out the money for it, especially given there were no reviews here, but I'm very glad I did. I've had a different tension-pole shower caddy for several years, and it was amateur-hour compared to Good Grips' offering. The old pole was flimsy and bowed slightly in the middle from the tension. The shelves were held in place by plastic sleeves that used friction to keep them in place. The joints in the poles were covered with metallic tape, and the ends were capped with rubber stops that were so flimsy the pole actually cut through them. In addition to all that, the shelves were very shallow, and items placed on them frequently fell off with the slightest bump or knock.



The Good Grips caddy, however, is night and day different. The pole is really sturdy #no bowing#, and is joined with heavy-duty plastic screw ends. In addition, there are several pieces to the pole, so you can adjust it to fit various heights. I've now moved it to a part of the shower where I wasn't able to put the old caddy -- which is a huge space-saver in my situation.



The locking mechanism for the shelves is brilliant. Whoever designed it should get a raise. Shelves are easy to adjust, but are also sturdy and very secure when locked in place. They're also quite deep, and the idea of having holes for putting bottles in upside down is genius. I haven't had any trouble with items falling off, either. Oh, and I really like the fact that I can remove the plastic trays from the metal frames to clean them. That's a nice touch.



Finally, the ratcheting mechanism the caddy uses to create tension is very easy to use and adjust, and creates a very secure lock. Also, the end caps are made of heavy-duty rubber, and are shaped to take advantage of corners.



I couldn't be more pleased with the caddy. I never write reviews, but this was just such a great product that I felt compelled to share. It's got so many intelligent design features, and it's easy to install, easy to move, and easy to clean. I can't think of a single negative thing about it, and I also can't think of anything else I wish it had. Seriously, the designers of this product should get an award! I wish all products were as intelligently designed and as well made as this one. OXO Good Grips Lift and Lock Pole Caddy

I'll admit it: I definitely balked a bit at the price when I first saw this. But after some hand-wringing, I decided to give it a shot because this tension pole caddy looked a million times better than those nasty plastic or chrome-plated ones, and OXO products have always treated me very well. I have to let people know that this is an AMAZING product.



PROS: Extremely easy to install, looks beautiful, and the amount of shelving is incredible. They are generously deep and very level (I made sure the tension pole was plumb using a small level); no shampoo bottles falling over when I put something down. And there are ample drainage holes on each. I actually only have 3 of them up because I don't have enough bath products at the moment! This past weekend was bathroom-cleaning time, and those shelves come off easily to wash if you wanted to, which I did.



CONS: None. It's too soon to comment on it's ability to not rust, but I'll try to remember to update on that after a few more months have gone by.



If you want a tension pole caddy, and this one looks perfect but seems a little too pricey, I recommend going for it. I probably shouldn't have, price-wise, but it's already proven to be well worth it.



UPDATE -- September 15, 2010, one year later



Still the best product. Continues to look and clean well, doesn't look a year old, and no rust whatsoever. Again, best $100 spent.

The shower caddies I got in the past all went rusty pretty quickly. I chose the OXO this time hoping that it's rust proof as it is claimed. It's three times more expensive. Unfortunately it did not deliver on the expectation. Two months after the purchase, I've already found multiple spots of rust. I'm planning on calling their customer service.

Update 12/29/10: After roughly nine months of usage, I have noticed slight rusting around the bottom edge where the pole meets the rubber foot. I'm going to put some clear nail polish on the circular spot with hopes that it does not spread. The cheaper one that I purchased has not shown any signs of rusting.



Original: I bought 2 different stainless steel bath caddy's at the same time and this is a far superior product than my other one. I wish I'd bought 2 of these! I've been using it for about 3 straight months and no rusting. It was a cinch to put together and the shelves are the best part. They go on easily, just as promised. It looks great in the bathtub too. Highly recommended!

I was very reluctant to spend over $100 on a shower caddy. However, I've gone through several shower caddies over the years that cost much less, but they rusted within about 3 months. So, if this one didn't rust I felt like it would be worth the money.



I've had this shower caddy almost 7 months and am pleased overall. I have noticed, however, small rust spots forming now in between the plastic bins and the stainless steel. No doubt from water getting trapped in between. Otherwise, it is still rust free.



The bins lock onto the pole separetely and do not have to be attached before the pole is in place. This is a nice feature compared to other caddies I've owned where you had to put the bins on and slide them down the pole before you place it in your tub/shower. Be careful though because the part that actually locks onto the pole is plastic. One of these broke after about 3 months of use. However, I was extremely impressed with OXO's customer service. Not long after I emailed them, I received a replacement stainless steel holder for my bin in the mail at no charge. However, beware, they sent me only the part that attaches to the pole, minus the plastic portion that actually holds your stuff. Luckily, I had not thrown away the broken bin and was able to take the plastic out and put it in the new stainless steel holder.



The bins are much more spacious than other shower caddies I've owned. There are also a couple of hooks that are perfect for holding razors.



The inside of the bins do not seem to get as dirty as other caddies I've owned. I wipe them off at least every month or so.



I may be contacting OXO again if the rust spots continue. If it wasn't for the small rust spots, I would have rated this product 5 stars. - Stainless Steel - Shower Storage - Shower Organization - Oxo'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Shower Caddy Tension Pole Rust - shower storage, oxo shower organization Shower Caddy Tension Pole Rust - shower storage, oxo