Friday 6 February 2009

Slingbox Pro - bridge, remote viewing


Firstoff, I would say this device does what it is supposed to. Having used several powerline products like this, I will say that this one performs about as well as competing units. That said, there are few caveats I would point out. First, you're only going to get acceptable throughput when both sides of the link are on the same household circuit. This is especially true with older homes who may have gone through electrical upgrades (like mine). Also, your throughput will suffer when you use other electrical devices on the circuit. For example, my video gets choppy whenever someone turns on/off the bathroom light which is adjacent to the bedroom where I have this unit located. For basic internet usage this is not a big deal, but if you're streaming video to a media center like I am, it is somewhat of an annoyance. Slinglink Turbo 1PORT Enet Connection Bridge (SL 150-100)

I bought this product to work with my Slingbox because my router is in a different room from my TV. It worked perfectly out of the box. I also use it to convert my wireless network to a wired network using the household current and my internet speed has doubled. Great product, great concept. May help change the way we use computers in the home.

This product not only proved itself, but it solved the problem of having to drill holes and run cables through the house, especially in a very difficult area. I am extremely pleased with this item, and would like to see the price drop a little more, but all in all it is definitely worth the price and time involved. It took about 3 minutes to have it all setup. There is no programming at all, it's all automatic.

I purchased this Slinglink Turbo 1PORT Enet Connection Bridge (SL 150-100) for use with my Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100. You ONLY have to buy the Slinglink Turbo if your cable/satellite/whatever you use to get television signal from is not located next to your router. In my case, my router and modem are located in my office on the main floor of my house. We only have 3 tv's set up to our Comcast Digital Cable (Regular Package comes with a cable box) so I had to pick one of them. I decided to hook up the Slingbox PRO-HD in our basement because that tv gets the least amount of use (Setting that up is a whole different review).



Inside the Slinglink Turbo box, you get 2 Slinglinks. I connected one to the wireless-n Linksys router that we have in my office. All you do is plug one of the extra ethernet cables that comes in the box into an open slot on the routher. And you HAVE TO plug the power cord into an actual wall socket. YOU CANNOT PLUG IT INTO A POWER STRIP. Then, I set up the other Slinglink, in our basement where the SingBox PRO-HD is located. Once again, I plugged the ehternet cord from the Slinglink box into the back of the SlingBxo PRO-HD's ethernet port. I powered the Slinglink into an actual wall socket and kept the SlingBox PRO-HD plugged into a power strip.



When I ran the software that you download from slingmedia(dot)com, it recognized the SlingBox through my houses wiring via the Slinglinks. We have Comcast High Speed Cable Internet just incase you were wondering.



Product works great!

I bought the slingbox, forgetting that that my linksys was clear across the other side of the house. I bought this but really did not think it would work. I was very wrong. Set-up: about 5 minutes (that includes opening the box :)) I went to a friends house just to check the signal and the bridge and slingbox worked great!!! Well worth the money spent!!

This is one of those products that truly delivers. I instantly connected my son's XBOX 360 to our high speed cable internet with one of the sling media units (he had been complaining about lag time.) He is thrilled with the improved performance. My Dish Network 622 receiver was instantly connected. This was such a joy to work with! No software or set up with my computer -- never did anything more than connect a few cables and cords. Great job!

I have many Sling Media products and love them all. I am very pleased in general with Sling Media products. I just purchased a SlingCatcher to use in conjunction with my Slingbox because I have a TV in a room without a wired connection. The problem, is that my router is upstairs, while my SlingCatcher is downstairs. The solution should have been simple with the SlingLink...which is designed to turn your house's electrical wiring into an ethernet connection. The problem I found out was that the wiring upstairs differed from the wiring downstairs, so the SlingLink couldn't make a connection. After troubleshooting with the Sling Media people on the Sling Chat, it was determined that the SlingLink wouldn't work in my house. Instead, a wireless bridge was recommended. I then purchased the Linksys Wireless-N gaming adapter which has worked beautifully for my needs. All in all, the SlingLink may work for you in your house. However, beware that if your house is large (mine is 4000 square feet), then the SlingLink may not work due to the complexity of the electrical wiring. The wireless bridge will work much better. In a smaller house that is one level, I am sure the SlingLink would work fine. That is why I gave it only 3 stars. - Bridge - Remote Viewing - Slinglink - Xbox Live'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Slingbox Pro - bridge, remote viewing bridge Slingbox Pro - bridge, remote viewing