Wednesday 11 February 2009

Cordless Drills - crdls drill, cordless tools


Although the batteries do not seem to last very between charges, there are two of them in the kit along with a quick charger. The specified torque is impressive, but I think that it may be slightly exaggerated. The ergonomics, weight, and overall dimensions are nearly ideal. The box and Hitachi website indicate a 5-year warranty, but the warranty card itself indicates only a one-year warranty. The chuck is pretty cheap, and the trigger doesn't seem very well-made. The design of the carrying case leaves a lot to be desired. All in all, after about 6 weeks, it appears to be a good drill for light to moderate homeowner duty. The quality of the drill is probably a cut above other drills available in the $99 price range, but it is certainly not worth the $150 that Lowes now charges. If you are willing to spend $140-$150, you will probably be able to get a Makita mForce or Bosch Compact Tough 14.4V-18V model and be much happier. Hitachi DS18DVF3 18-Volt Ni-Cad 1/2-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit

good torque, reasonable battery life for a medium duty drill, charges quickly. the compactness lets it get into spaces many drills won't reach. down side: cheap plastic housing, doesn't fit standard holster, attached belt clip won't hang securely on hammer loop. I dropped mine about six feet and the housing broke completely in two where the handle meets the head. No parts are available yet for this model, so I had to epoxy the housing. If you need a compact drill for the tight places this is a good buy at Lowe's for $99, just be very careful how you carry it. If you need one to use all day, this isn't it.

The drill has a great feel to it . Easy to hold. Battery lasts a long time. the flashlight is very good also. The only problem I'm having is with the drill chuck. It doesn't hold the bits like it should. They fall out quite often.

I bought this drill based on the ergonomics. I picked up and held every drill at the store and this one has perfect ergonomics. The handle is very comfortable and it appears to be perfectly balanced, the weight is perfect, feels light but well made. This drill is the most comfortable to hold by far of any drill I have seen or tested and I looked at every brand in several stores.



The drill has a lot of torque and the clutch is great. I use it as a cordless screwdriver most of the time and a drill on occasion. Most chuck less drills have a hard time holding the bits, but you can use the DeWalt drill bits that have a hexagonal base and it solves the problem completely.



The batteries last a long time and charge in about 30 minutes. It comes with two so you can charge one while using the other. They won't charge until they cool down however (the charger will not charge a hot battery).



If you need a longer run time, you can get NiMH or Li-Ion batteries in anywhere from 1.5Ah to 3.0Ah that fit this drill. If you go with either of those however, you will need a new charger since the supplied charger is only for Ni-Cad batteries. The UC18YRL is a universal charger that can charge all 3 types of batteries.



You can also buy the DS18DFL package which appears to be the same drill with Li-Ion batteries but without a flashlight. For some reason the Li-Ion drill is rated about 6% less torque of 374in/lbs vs this one is 400 in/lbs, although I doubt anyone could tell the difference.



The flashlight is bright and lasts a long time, I use it all the time. The light comes with a spare lamp inside if you unscrew the cover. I had a hard time finding replacement lamps for the light for a while, but then found out the Makita ML180 lamps work perfectly as a replacement so I just pick those up at a local Makita dealer.



I have dropped both the flashlight and the drill onto a concrete floor about several times and both survived without damage except killing the flashlight bulb if the light was on.



I bought two kits I use in two locations and this set has been great in every way. The batteries are getting old so I'll replace them with NiMH or Li-Ion and get the universal charger.



All rechargeable batteries self discharge so if you charge it and store it, it will be dead when you need it. If you use it only occasionally, it is best to store the batteries with a low charge or near empty, not fully charged to extend their lifetime.



When you replace them, you can recycle them at most hardware stores or any Radioshack will accept them. Don't throw them out, the Cadmium is toxic and like all rechargeable batteries, they should be disposed of properly.

A real hit on the job site.Very light and compact.Has a lot of torque.I have used it sparingly since I got it but I can say I am happy.Doesnt have the torque of the 16 volt porter cable but it isnt like dragging a car battery around to install.I have been hanging it on my belt and it isnt uncomfortable.I carry a lot of stuff on my belt and the Hitachi fits my belt and my hand very well.Very ergonomic

After having this item for some time I will tell you that as a professional carpenter I wish I would have purchased a tool with longer battery duration and life. Doesnt take long to run the battery dead and didnt take long before the batteries would only hold a charge for a very short time. I will do the research and find a tool with better batteries next time but still not a bad deal for the price and probably as good as any tool in this price range.

This 18 volt Hitachi is a little power house and the batteries just seem to work and work. I use the drill a lot and under some heavy duty conditions but it just keeps going. When a charge is needed there is a very short downtime for recharge and you are back in business. I wish it wasn't made in China but that is so much the trend; however, it really is a quality drill at a very affordable price. If I needed another cordless (won't ever give up on my corded Milwaukee) I'd buy another one of these. - 18v - Crdls Drill - Cordless Tools - Cordless Drills'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Drills - crdls drill, cordless tools cordless drills Cordless Drills - crdls drill, cordless tools