Tuesday 13 January 2009

Wildlife Camera


I got this camera from a retail store. I got it because I know several people who have it and talk about how great it is. When I got my it was DOA. I returned it to the store and got another one in working condition. Worked great for two months and then went out. Change the batteries and nothing happened. I called Moultrie and they said that they would replace it. I sent mine in and never received a new one. I called to see if it was shipped yet and they said yes and gave me tracking information. When I entered it in, it didn't even leave the plant yet. Called them just to return my money. Don't recommend Moultrie. Moultrie Game Spy M-80

Camera works great. It is not the top of the line model but I knew what i was buying !

Easy to set up

great day pics ok night pic kind of blurry but that ok I do not hunt at night.

will be buy another if the price is right !

I have the Moultrie Camera, the Bear Case fits perfectly, the camera is awesome, really easy to set up, easy digital lock set up. Easy menu to follow, card access great, battery life is excellent, I am using the 8 litium batteries they suggest.Takes up to a 16 GB High Speed, class 4 card, fast pictures. I am buying another one, I see the price has come down. 5 star review

I have two of these now, one I have had for about 3 months, the other 2 weeks. So far no problems with either camera. Daytime pictures are very good. Much better than my old Moultrie cameras. I really like having the option for the Plot camera mode, also nice is the Hybrid mode of Plot cam by day, trail cam by night. Plot camera mode will drain the batteries quickly. Set to 1 picture a min, 8 rechargeable AA's will go about 10 days. They only show about 50% charged in the camera when fully charged, but that is probably expected. In normal trail camera mode I am still running on the same set of regular alkaline after 2 months. Battery life will not be a major concern with this camera in trail mode. I also, like how this camera has a strap that feed through the back. My old Moultrie just had little ears on the four corners on the camera to hook small bungie cord to, and after aging outdoors for a couple of years (all year), they had a tendency to break off. I paid $129 and it is worth that. The price is lower now, so even better. I would definatly reccomend this particular model, but I cannot say the same for some other Moultrie models like the D50. Each model must be evaluated on it's own.

I just bought a Moultrie M-80 last night and couldn't wait to get it set up and try it out. The set up was intuitive and easy enough, but at one point I let it time out (it shut off by itself) and I couldn't get it to come back on. I ended up have to remove the battery compartment and shift the batteries around. It came back on and still showed more than 200 days of battery life. I let it take a few pictures inside my home. It is absolutely silent (no shutter click) and the IR pictures are very good. After reading the reviews and having the issue I had last night, I'm going to give a week or two in the field to see how it performs. I'm excited about the features it offers and truly hope it works well. 3-star rating due to the out of the box issue as mentioned above. I will update this review after some field use.UPDATE 06OCT: Well, sadly my new camera appears to be a dud as well and will be returning to the store where I bought it. I put it out today (here at the house attached to my fence) to see how it would perform through a day or two of use and it didn't make it 3 hours. The batteries are new so it is definitely a problem with the camera. When I went to check on it, it had taken a few pics of me and my dogs moments after I put it out, but then it shut itself down (replicating the out of the box problem I had). I had to remove the battery box and reinsert it to get it to come back on. If Moultrie works out the bugs this will be a good little unit, but for now it is pretty much trash. I'll be going with a different brand as a replacement.

I bought this camera hoping to get a good one even though I had read some negative reviews. When I turned the camera on at home it worked fine and it took pictures. I took the camera to the woods, got the camera strapped to the tree and when I tried to turn it on it wouldn't work - then the strap broke. I returned it - bought another one. The second one never came on at all. I don't see why they still try to sell this camera. The only reason I give this camera 1 star is because you can't give it no stars. BAD PRODUCT!

The first thing that stood out when I opened the Moultrie was the poor ergonomics. It's as if the location of every control is completely non-intuitive. There are too many moving parts (the battery tray slides completely out!) and for some reason I have to turn it completely around looking for the same control every time I use it. I've never had this problem with Bushnells or Primos. More examples: the SD card hits the side of the case when it closes, and it won't sit flat on a table; none of the sides are flat, it just rolls around - annoying. Note that this is a person thing, for many people, this might not be an issue. It bugs me enough that I'd return it for that reason alone, however.The flash is very bright; it will distract game and makes it completely unusable for security purposes. There is a shutter click, but it is very quiet.I tried to load the application onto my macBook (which they claim runs on the mac), but the included SW is on a mini-CD which won't load in a mac CD slot. I tried to download a mac version, but simply couldn't find it on their website, or anywhere else. It simply shouldn't be that hard.The cable lock is just thin plastic, it provides no protection at allAnd, while there is molded relief in the plastic, it's just gloss black - for the price a camo color pattern should be included. Not many things in nature are pure glossy black, and to me it sticks out when mounted on trees.None of these are 'show stoppers,' but taken together, it's enough to have me return mine. And, remember, almost all of my complaints are situational and may not apply to you. For this kind of money, however, I'd take a look at the Bushnell.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wildlife Camera Wildlife Camera Wildlife Camera