Monday 22 December 2008

Sliding Compound Miter Saw - hitachi, home improvement


I bought this same saw about a year ago at Lowes, I paid something like $150 for it. It's a great saw, really smooth and comfortable to use. Works great for cutting trim boards, but I've also used it as a chop saw to cut 2x6's, it doesn't bog down one bit when cutting larger stock. It's a little heavy, but to me that just means it's built better. It's also quiet compared to other miter saws I've used. This is definitely a great deal! I'm almost tempted to buy a second as a backup! Hitachi C10FCE2 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw

Received the Hitachi C10FCE2 yesterday after a longer wait than usual from Amazon. But still within the window they specify.



Assembled the saw accessories in about 5 minutes (flip over fence, rear stabilizer bar, and hold down) and took it out to my shop. First up was a standard pine 2x4. Plugged in the saw and gave the trigger a pull. The first thing I noticed as a nice soft start mechanism, very nice. The blade started spinning and had little to no vibration. I love the horizontal anti vibe handle. Pulled the saw down and cut through the 2x4 like a hot knife through butter. I was impressed at this price point. Next up were some miter cuts. 52 degrees left and right, no problem. The indicator is very thin which makes for more exacting measurements, again very nice. Next up, bevel. Went to 45 degrees, gave the handle a tug and i had a clean 45 degree bevel. Checked the angles and they were spot on, right from the factory. I cut 2x6's, stacked 2 2x4's, and stacked 2 2x6's and it cut them without any problems or bogging down. This saw will cut 4x4 posts no problem at 90 degrees.



With the 5 year warrantee and a saw that performs like this you can't go wrong at $99.00 with free shipping.

I received this saw as a Christmas present in 2007. I've used it nearly every other weekend since, and the only complaint I have is with the manual. This was my first miter saw so I wanted to be sure that it was put together correctly, but the instructions were nearly incomprehensible. But, since I'm a guy and am used to not reading directions (j/k) I figured it out eventually.



This saw is very powerful relative to other models in this price range. I had looked at the Dewalt saws, but didn't really think the quality of construction was the same since Black & Decker bought them out a few years back. I've used this to cut 4x4" treated posts and it slices through them like a hot knife through butter, with no motor lag at all. The sawdust catch-bag is a nice feature, but doesn't catch it all. I wasn't expecting it to, and having ANY of it get caught is a plus, and simply less clean up for me once the project is finished.



After receiving this saw, I did some research and found out that all Hitachi power tools have a 5 year limited warrantee. I've blown through 3 drills - 1 Skil, 2 Black & Deckers (guess I didn't learn) - on my trip to the Hitachi brand, and will never buy anything but Hitachi tools from here on out. I would recommend this tool to anyone that is looking for a professional quality tool at a decent price.

I purchased this miter saw to replace its predecessor, Hitachi model C10FC2, which experienced a terminal encounter with my garage floor...



First Impressions:

This model is both smaller and lighter than I was expecting. Hitachi has apparently redesigned this product to minimize shipping costs from China. The bed of this saw is about 3 inches shorter than the C10FC2. It is also noticeably lighter. With these modifications, the saw can be packaged in a smaller (and flimsier) box. The saw pivots smoothly and has solid stops at common angles. The "D" style handle offers good control and is an improvement on the earlier pistol grip. I also like the fact that they have enlarged the throat of the dust collection bag; not nearly as much blockage. Finally, the Hitachi 5 year warranty makes this a reassuring choice.



The first thing I did after unpacking the saw was to align the fence(s)and blade. Next I upgraded the saw with a quality 80 tooth blade and an Irwin Miter Saw Laser Guide. Finally, I bolted the saw down to a larger plywood base to minimize tipping.



This saw delivers good basic accuracy at a reasonable price. As noted, the bed is kind of short. I suspect that commercial users will want to add extensions or build a cutting bed to handle longer pieces. The manufacturers have added a "flip fence" feature to the left fence to address some of these issues. Folded up, it provides support for taller material. Unfolded it pivots out horizontally and provides backing for longer materials. I was a little skeptical of the pivot, but it seems to work as intended. The only drawback is that you can't make bevel cuts with the flip fence retracted.



One disappointment is the redesigned material clamp/vise. They've downgraded this feature by using lighter materials and resizing the hand knob to the size of a small dial. The screw down clamp is mounted on a post which slides into a receiving vertical hole in the left or right fence. A second hole is lined up in the bed of the saw. So why couldn't they make these items the same size? The post slops around in the fence hole, but doesn't even fit into the receiving hole in the bed. If I used this feature more I'd be more concerned. It works, but its not pretty.



Overall, I am happy with the saw. Cuts were very accurate and repeatable. A reasonable tool for the hobbyist or home shop. Commercial users will probably need to make some of the noted upgrades. Too early to address durablility issues. I doubt this will be as robust as the earlier saw, but it will probably hold up if not abused (or dropped).

This saw was bought as a replacement for a contractor grade Craftsman compound miter saw and boy... I should have upgraded sooner!



The Craftsman saw weighs in at 55 lbs which makes it a pain to move and setup, however with this Hitachi weighing in at half the weight (just 26 lbs) not only makes it easier to move and setup it feels as well constructed as the Craftsman, if not better constructed. Also the built in carrying handle on top of this saw means no more having to carry it awkwardly or smashing my fingers!



The motor is nice and powerful and can easily cut through pressure treated 4x4 posts, 2x4s, you name it it cuts through it with ease. And the saw itself adjusts to pretty much any angle and beveling degree you can possibly need. The large fence allows you to cut some of the largest pieces of wood (like crown molding, window trim, etc.) without having to figure out a weird and dangerous way to hold the piece of wood while you make the cut. I can't remember how many times I've had to hold a piece awkwardly while making a cut because the fence is too short.



The added vise assembly is a HUGE plus, something that some of the more expensive saws don't even include.



Now you're thinking why did I give it only 4 stars? The dust bag only does a mediocre job at collecting dust and it's made in China... thats right a Japanese company making stuff in China. I really would have preferred to see it made in Japan or the US. It is covered by a five year warranty and made to the high standards of Hitachi... so it is a trade off.



Overall I would highly recommend this saw to anyone.



Pros:

Powerful.

Light-weight but very well constructed.

Fairly quiet, even for a miter saw.

Built in handle on the top of the unit makes transportation and setup much easier.

Comfortable handle.



Cons:

Made in China.

Dust bag doesn't collect a whole lot of dust... better then nothing though. - Hitachi - Miter Saw - Woodworking - Home Improvement'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sliding Compound Miter Saw - hitachi, home improvement miter saw Sliding Compound Miter Saw - hitachi, home improvement