Saturday 13 December 2008

Back Saver - portable, cable


Let's not get carried away. This is not a big winch like the ones you see fastened to the bumpers of monster 4-wheelers. It is much simpler than that. And for what it is designed to do it works very well. For infrequent light duty winching this is the perfect tool.



It has a built in handle for carrying, detachable power and control cords, and enough cable to get you within 25 feet or so of whatever you are winching. It has a 2000 lb rating, and will pull that much easily. Not quickly, but easily. It has a manual crank that can be attached to the shaft. It also has a very handy mounting plate designed to slip over the ball on a ball-hitch.



The clutch is manual, and drag is set by means of a threaded knob on the shaft. It is very simple to use. Simply connect the power and control cables, loosen the clutch, pull the cable to whatever you need to pull and hook it up. Then tighten the clutch and press the button on the control handle and start winching. Be patient. There is only one speed and it is slow. But it works.



I have tested the winch by hanging it from a beam and picking up the front of a truck with no problem. Then we really put it to the test by using it to pull our garden tractor out of the mud. It was a long pull so we needed to add a tug strap but it was easy enough to hook up. The pull was painless. The winch is slow because it gets it's power through gearing. It is quite a drain on a car battery, so it helps to leave your engine running while you pull.



Not something you would want to use every day but very handy to have around. For my money this is a 5-star tool. Great for the boat owner or for use around the farm. Master Lock 2953AT 12-Volt DC Portable Winch

While mowing my lawn, my Sears Lawn Tractor got away from me. While I was working to get it unstuck, it rolled down a steep hill. (Had it not hit a tree, it would have gone off a 20 foot cliff). The wheels got stuck behind large rocks. I bought the winch to pull it up a 40 foot hill, with at least a 45 degree incline. I had to use an additional tow rope even though the instructions warn against this. The winch pulled the tractor up and saved me the money and embarrassment of having to call a tow truck. It worked beyond my expectations.

I have a bad back, I love to kayak, and have two, a 138 and a 160t Old Town kayaks.

My back couldn't get the 160t up on trailer with out straining 70lbs.(I have 3 Cockers that go with me, they can't help lift), I now just align it and press a button. It goes right up and I'm not injured or sore, so I can kayak longer and further. I give leverage 10 stars on this one. Yes, it takes a little time to set it up, but well worth it. I'm over 60. I've got it down to only a couple of minutes now.

A great product for a very reasonable price. Warranty backed by a US company. Amazon was very quick to ship without cost. Glad I made the purchase. Recommend Amazon and product to anyone who needs a utility winch for their garage. Use mine on my Kwik Lift.

Bought one for light job but the hand held controller's In/Out function was defective. Winch would pull cable in fine but would not turn in reverse--had to release clutch and free-wheel (potential safety hazard with tension on line) to get cable out.

Returned this one for a second--same problem but this time the hand held didn't even have the word "out" to reverse the drum--again, would only turn the drum in the "In" direction. Decided to keep it anyway and make do.

(Return service with Amazon was excellent--only thing good in this deal.)

I just ordered this unit to use inside my garage to hoist up a utility trailer that I want to stand on end to make more room. I needed to buy an ac to dc converter to power it and the specs do not state the current draw. I called Master lock and they told me 4 to 6 amps for a several hundred pound load - and 20 amps at the maximum 2000 pound load. That is a lot of current so make sure your adapter and/or car outlet can supply the current needed.



I will post back once I have had a chance to use it.

Works like a charm (wished it has a reverse function) and easily pulls my motorcycle onto the bed. The only think I wish it had some more mounting options to make it removable from a piece of plywood, but other than that it works great and so far so good! - Portable - Back Saver - Cable - Winch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Back Saver - portable, cable winch Back Saver - portable, cable