Tuesday 25 November 2008

Wood Desk Caddy Cherry - wood desk caddy, desk caddy


First of all, I think this product is greatly improved over previous versions that have been sold by HandStands. I believe they are the manufacturer and have heard past reviews and made changes to improve their product. I did get one of their old models and now have a new one that is much more superior to the previous version.



Improvements:

1. If you ordered their old model, you may have had issues with the welds on that hold the cross-bar base to the main stand. The new model has a whole new connecting mechanism that gives more support and the welds are solid. I have no concern at all about this base holding up. I did see someone leave a review about this for this product, but I think he got the wrong item--for some time, the new and old listings were using the same photos--which really confused me, but I think this is the only one now--under their new brand "Windsor."



2. Other nice improvement is that both tables are adjustable up to 90 degree. This gives about 180 degrees in adjustability (not sure if this is a word), which means, if you have the tables flat, you can adjust them 90 degrees in either direction. I like this because it gives me a better option for storing the desk at home.



3. Another new option that is given with the new desk is that there are two install options on the smaller table. You can put the tables flush together (with a warning that it could be a pinching hazard--but if you're not concerned, its nice to have) or you can put it on with a space between the desks--as seen in the picture. Since I have a toddler that gets in to EVERYTHING, I prefer having the space so that if the desk were to give, it wouldn't pinch or smash small or large fingers.



4. The height adjustment mechanism seems to function better--I can tell its a different design, just not sure exactly how, but that it does seem more stable and able to hold more weight.



5. Instructions seemed a little clearer, for me at least. If you know how to read illustrations and drawings, these are very clear, just not a lot of explanation--which really isn't needed for this simple assembly. I did have a question with the last model and called the HandStands Customer Service, which was very helpful and answered my questions well enough. So if you have a question, give them a call, they will likely be able to answer any questions.



6. Packaging is very improved. The other model I ordered I had to get a replacement part for one that got damaged in shipping. Now the desk comes in a well fitted box and packaging set that protects everything well. I'm guessing their returns have gone down a tone with this new packaging. The old packaging was just asking to get punished during shipping, causing a lot of damaged parts when customers (like me) got them.





Places for future improvement:

1. As good as they've designed this--and I'd say its top-of-the-line now--I would like to see one change, and maybe I'm being picky. When the tables are at maximum height, the table does get a little wobbly. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to stabilize the desk more--this would be if you are standing and using it. If you are sitting and using it, its generally very stable.





Features:

Of course there are some of the same great features that I like.

1. I like the wheels--I move this thing around a lot. Sometimes I use it in the computer room when I'm working on something with my wife and other times I wheel it to the family room while I work in front of the TV or to the bedroom.



2. There is a height adjustment, which I like when I move from the chair in the computer room to the living room couch to the bedroom. This has no problem sliding under our bed, which makes it nice to use with the bed--if your bed is really high, it may not clear--you'll have to measure first.



3. I like the stoppers on both tables which help keep laptops, books, papers, computer mouse, etc. from falling on to the floor.



4. Colors--I have their new Black Cherry and I love it. Yes, it is pretty dark, but in the light it gives off a nice dark red cherry look. If you want something a little lighter (and more brown), I'd go for their other color--the regency walnut, which didn't quite go with our home decor.





Overall, this desk works well for our family. I use the new one with my laptop and my son uses the old one to do his homework on. I may need to get another for my wife, but for now she's content on using her lapmat/lapdesk on the could or in bed to keep her laptop off her legs. Windsor Laptop Stand (Black Cherry)

This table -- like most other laptop tables -- balances the large table top on a single pole with a base of legs. The design places pressure on the base of the single poll where it joins the base of legs. For this table, 4 screws stick up from the base of legs to a plate inside the single pole. Four little welds join the plate inside the single pole to the single pole. The strain on the 4 little welds is too great and the welds will break. In my case, the welds broke within 2 months - despite the fact that I was extremely gentle with it. Still, I will say that I used in on a carpeted floor, which would add pressure.



I took the table to a local community college and asked the welding department for help. The welding teacher devised a solution. As shown in this video, the table needs strong support inside the single pole and at the base where it attaches to the legs. My local community college implemented this solution approximately 6 months ago, I use the table for long hours every single day - dragging it back and forth on the carpet. As a result of the solution, the table has provided great support and great service ever since. I hope that the company will study this video and improve the product. Perhaps a community college welding team could help!?!



The table has many positive features including a nice wide area for the mouse, which can be used for *either* left-handed or right-handed users. Also, the table has a small lip on the adjustable part that holds the laptop ~ this feature keeps the laptop from sliding off.



I am pleased with my table, but only after the reinforcement solution to support the welds and distribute the tabletop strain was implemented. - Wood Desk Caddy - Wood Desk Caddy Cherry - Desk Caddy - Laptop Desk Caddy'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wood Desk Caddy Cherry - wood desk caddy, desk caddy desk caddy Wood Desk Caddy Cherry - wood desk caddy, desk caddy