Thursday 16 October 2008

Random-orbit Sanders - sander, dewalt


Let me start by saying that I have LOVED all my Dewalt tools. But, this sander sucks! At least the one I received. I have an eight year old DW 421 ROS that has served me well with my only complaints being the rubber sealed switch that has always been tempermental and it being underpowered. I have been shopping for a new ROS for a while now with variable speed and more power being two requirements. The highly rated Porter Cables never quite felt right in my hands and the Bosch sanders seemed to have too much vibration when in use. I was excited to see the ad about the new Dewalt sanders- bigger motor, cool new look, and it is a Dewalt!...I was on the list to receive one of the first ones. It finally came, it looked a little plasticy, but still cool. I plugged it in and turned it on (same lame sealed switch but not worn out like my old one) and the sander came to life- it had a wierd high pitched kazoo-like sound that had me concerned but I was going to see how it sounded in action. The variable speed control was really hard to turn, but I suspect that would get easier as it wears.



I put on a new 150 grit sheet and tested it out. It didn't feel good in my hands, the top was big and odd shaped. The high pitched vibration sound was still there. It sanded as well as my old sander but not better. I decided to do a three way comparison with my old DW421 2.0 amp, my friends Bosch 1295 DVS 2.2 amp, and the new D26453K. The Bosch had both Dewalts beat on build quality and power when sanding but without the CFS it just doesn't sand as well (I think what I'm sensing is consistent pad speed on and off the wood that the CFS provides for the Dewalts) The Bosch had more vibration than my old Dewalt but less than the new one.

The pad on the new Dewalt stalled as easily as my old one and as I previously mentioned I couldn't tell that this sander was more powerful. I could not rotate the variable speed switch with my thumb while operating it- too stiff. And that horrible sound!!

I'm sure I got a less than perfect copy, but I am still disappointed in Dewalt for either poor quality control or if they are all like that, for a sucky new ROS. DEWALT D26453K 3 Amp 5-Inch Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander Kit with Cloth Dust Bag

I purchased this random-orbit sander to finish a huge porch. This machine is not heavy and is easy to use(I'm a retired woman). I was pleased with the results. There are no sand marks because of the random-orbit rotation. My son in law has borrowed it and likes it too. Before I bought this sander, I used a friends which was another brand. His was heavy and much harder to use. It is easy to go to one of the home building stores to get the replacement sand paper but cheaper to buy it on Amazon. I used this machine a lot and made the mistake of not changing the sandpaper one time and ruined the underneath side but was able to buy a replacement locally. This sander was shipped immediately and arrived in pristine condition. I think it does such a good job that I am planning to finish my dining room table with it.

This is a great sander. Much better than my Porter Cable. My only wish is that it would have a little longer cord. It doesn't hurt my hands to use this tool. I would buy it again. The dust collection system work great and is easy to clean out. A little comprssed air and the unit looks like new.

I purchased this sander to do edges and touch-up spots for restoring some hardwood floors. This job required hours of work, but the machine kept up with it quite handily. Even after over 3 hours of continuously using it, my hand was comfortable and the machine was cool to the touch. It did not clog once during the entire project both using the vacuum or just the bag.



If I were pressed to mention flaws, there are two that come to mind: the power switch and the vacuum adapter. The power switch is very finicky, both in that it is hard to quickly reliably switch power manually and that it is easy to accidentally switch power. The vacuum adapter is built in which is great, but it does not seem to hold the end of my vacuum (Ridgid WD4070 4 Gallon Portable Vacuum) very well on its own, relying on the suction of the vacuum to do the "fitting".

I purchased this sander to help out with drywall sanding of joint spackling compound in a townhouse remodel. It worked great for that purpose. You will need to detach the small dust bag that comes with the unit and attach the suction hose of a vacuum cleaner to it. Of all choices of vacuum cleaner I used a Rug Vacuum Cleaner - The Hoover Windtunnel Floor Upright. Albeit that vacuum cleaner didn't lead to the most convenience it was the only vacuum I had and it worked pretty well as long as you were patient to move the vacuum as you sanded. The dust was held down considerably with the vacuum attached. In my opinion, the sander was easy to control and the dust was vacuumed away sufficiently. Be careful to make sure the vacuum hose stays attached because the sander itself will spew the materials out the back all by itself. Since there is a lot of noise with both the sander and vacuum on at the same time you will have trouble hearing the hose come off. I had no problems with the ON/OFF switch or weight of the unit. It was a little heavy but it is also a very rugged model. Sandpaper for it is sold both at Home Depot and Loews. I'd by the economy pack to stock up. The carrying case it comes with can store the sandpaper. I had owned a square vibration sander prior to this one that shook my hands way too uncomfortably. This model is pretty smooth. It probably has a lot of uses other than drywall but if that's your purpose - it works great for that. I'm happy I purchased it. It was worth the cost to me. Good Luck.

I researched this tool for months. I finally met some folks who actually have this model as well as other brands in their shops. Everyone said they preferred the Dewalt. Overall feel of the machine and the work accomplished made the Dewalt their ROS of choice.

I bought one of my own. I totally agree! My first job was restoring an antique drop leaf table. (there so many layers of paint and dings, I wasn't sure there was even wood underneath.) The variable speed come in handy for fine sanding. I borrowed two other brands from my friends, they don't compare to the Dewalt. I would easily recommend this to anyone looking for a great ROS.

Old Guy - Random Orbit Sander - Sander - Dewalt - Random-orbit Sanders'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Random-orbit Sanders - sander, dewalt random-orbit sanders Random-orbit Sanders - sander, dewalt