Friday 3 October 2008

Eco-friendly - gaiam, eco-friendly


My yoga studio has the foam bricks that many of us have seen before. These are useful for a few poses, and I wanted something similar for home practice. But I could not justify purchasing a "foam" brick, since these are actually made of plastic that is really nasty in terms of manufacturing. I don't want to put my money towards that. Obviously the world does not need more plastic crap that will end up in a landfill.



So I bought this one. It's more substantial than a typical foam brick - slightly larger and heavier, without being unwieldy. I have small hands and I do not find it to be too large. As an added bonus, I find the surface of this block to be slightly less slippery than the foam blocks, always useful for when your hands get sweaty.



I'm very happy with this purchase. Gaiam Cork Yoga Brick

This cork brick meets my expectations. The quality seems very good, it feels very good and there is no unpleasant smell. The edges are all very smooth, the size and weight is just right.

On the front and back "Gaiam" is written on the brick and the Gaiam flower (or whatever that is) is shown. Some people may like that, but for me it is a reason to only give 4 instead of 5 stars. In my opinion, yoga should not be about showing off brand names. I want to do yoga with quality products but without advertising for them. I understand that Gaiam wants to mark their products as such and I would have accepted a picture of the flower only as a more subtle way to do so.

If you are used to the foam ones just be advised that this one looks and feels like a brick. I bought it anyway because I like its eco friendly attributes but if you happen to drop this on your toe during a pose you'll understand what I'm talking about.

These blocks are reasonably priced, and I prefer the way they feel over the foamy/plasticy blocks. I have had one for 2 years, and decided I needed a second one for some of the videos I've been doing lately.

These blocks are a wonderful, eco-friendly alternative to the typical plastic foam yoga blocks. I think they are slightly larger than foam blocks, and quite heavy (this may be the only downside if you are planning to carry them with you); great for home practice. Wonderful for helping you maintain proper posture and get into those poses when you can't quite reach the floor.

First use during bridge pose and cork came flaking out as soon as I removed it to release from pose. Not too happy with that happening, I've used a borrowed cork brick before and do not have the same problem (that block has been used for quite some time).

I bought this because I had started to use a cork block while in classes at my studios. It's great, and though it is heavy, it's not so much so that it isn't usable. It gives a meaningful "heft" to anything you might be working on.

I prefer the cork to the foam blocks. I'm a bit heavy, so they feel more secure. They are a bit thinner, but that makes little practical difference. I have had one of these blocks for a year and had no problems with it. - Eco-friendly - Blocks - Gaiam - Yoga'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Eco-friendly - gaiam, eco-friendly eco-friendly Eco-friendly - gaiam, eco-friendly