Sunday 7 September 2008

Kitchen Safety - baby safety, mommys helper


Depending on the type of doorknob you have, these may be useless. If you have a round, architectural style knob, they're fine. If you have a much more common Kwikset type knob, they're much too difficult for even parents, or kids old enough to use the door properly. If you have the need to put these on a door that will require a key or lock with a turnbutton, think again; they are very deep and you can't get your fingers in the hole on most handsets Mommy's Helper Door Knob Safety Cover

Well, we should have known these wouldn't work. We had similar ones before and they kept my teens in and my toddler could get out. We had just moved and the old ones were lost so I bought these for something fast and cheap. Well, they are exactly like the others. One is fairly easy for the family to open (5 out of 10 times) but one refuses to open for them. They twist and turn and you just can not get it to open. I can normally open all of them and even I had problems at least 2/10 times when I try to open a door. Now for the one they are supposed to be for....my 22 month old. He can not grasp them to open them like adults, but he CAN and DOES easily disassemble them and take them off. He does it every time and then looks at us, smiles and opens the door. These are a complete waste. Pay the extra money and get the Kidco Door Lock Knobs.

I'm trying every door knob cover I can find to keep my 2 year old from running a little too free. I thought these would do the trick, since the problem I have with the Safety First ones are that he puts his little fingers in through the lock hole and pops them off. I was wrong. No one in my house can open the door with these on! We have standard sized door knobs throughout the house, but these covers won't grip the knob. As hard as I squeezed on the tabs, the little amount of rubber inside never caught the knob.



It's such a pity because they seemed to be fairly sturdy and I loved the idea of the lock hole being covered. Better luck next time!

These are probably too small for larger doorknobs, but we just live in an apartment, which has small doorknobs! So these work great! No point in getting the more expensive kind by others unless you need larger covers, and then you want to make sure that those covers will really fit your larger doorknobs.

The plastic is very thin and flexible. The result is that it doesn't take much pressure or strength to pop it apart and remove it completely from the door handle. Might work for toddlers, but I have an 8 year-old autistic girl and these are no match for her. We do have some Safety 1st handle covers that use a much more rigid plastic and they're able to withstand much more pressure and keep her from opening doors and getting into places where she could get hurt.

As other reviewers have mentioned, they don't work on all knobs. But that's been my experience with several different knob covers we've got. They work great on real round type knobs, and on some kwikset/flat sides. I found that if i put some cut out cork pieces on the inner pads it gives it much better ability to grip on the kwiksets. My only problem with them is how easily they seem to split the two sides off. My son cant turn the knob, but he can take apart the two sides pretty easily. That's remedied easily with some super glue, so not a big deal either.

The price is right, but is a little difficult at times for me to open the doors, but I guess that even better when you have 2 toddlers running around, so I am not complaining too much, but I do remove it when they are napping lol!

My son is 2 1/2 and had no trouble ripping these door knob covers right off! Pretty sure a monkey could defeat them. I will say that the actual mechanism for squeezing and turning the knob is good; he can't do that. What he can do, however, is pull the two halves of plastic apart and take the knob cover clean off. But, since these were so inexpensive, I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. A little home engineering and I have gotten them to work for us: duct tape. Taping the cover around the knob keeps it from being popped apart and removed. Now it is securely on the knob, spins when he tries to turn it, and has the little tabs that I can squeeze through the tape and open the door.



In short, if you don't mind having to alter the product a little, it can work. But, if you're planning to put them on every door knob in your house, I wouldn't recommend them.

I just can't find a good set of knob covers. The lock access for these is so small you only want to use them if you have a push button lock system on the door, or just a deadbolt. They didn't work for us at all.

We have standard kwikset doorknobs. These are just too deep. They are a good diameter for a smaller knob but way too deep. The rubber grips are at teh very end of the doorknob so it barely grabs the doorknob and 90% of the time doens't work. Also, you cannot get your two fingers into the hole to turn the lock b/c he lock is prob an inch deep into the cover.



We also got another type of doorknob cover (Safety 1st). It is just as deep at this one but the rubber grips that you squeeze are much larger. So it does grab our doorknob. However, it is also impossible to turn the lock and so we cannot use it on any exterior doors.



The search continues... - Safety - Mommys Helper - Baby Safety - Baby Proofing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kitchen Safety - baby safety, mommys helper mommys helper Kitchen Safety - baby safety, mommys helper