Tuesday 10 February 2009

Casual Socks


I've been buying Gold Toe crews (and the occasional knock-off) for 40 years. I started in college, when my socks kept riding down my heel, into my loafers. If you have that problem, these sox are the cure.



All my older GT crews were mostly cotton (with lycra) - they shrank some and lost their softness, but not their usefulness. I have some that may be 20-25 years old.



These particular sox seem to be the 22% acrylic blend - they have a flecked appearance, probably "heather". I got 5 packs, and after several washings, they seem to be holding their size and fluff better. I expect the acrylic to be a little warmer, which should be an advantage with winter almost here. Not sure about the summer.



Had I noted the acrylic content, I probably would have passed, but these seem to be as good as the old mostly-cotton crews. Time will tell.



UPDATE 7-20-2008 (original 11-25-2007):

These socks were a joy over the winter, but are too warm for summer. Also, by April, the foot of each sock began to lose its shape, making folds or collections of fabric likely. (The shank retains its shape.)



I probably wore each sock seven to ten times before the problem developed. My old cotton socks are a little frayed at the heel, but are otherwise fine after many years. I can no longer recommend these acrylic-content socks.



UPDATE (7-12-2009):

Well I got another season out of these socks, and I'm liking them much better. I simply pull them on hard. The heel of the sock comes up over my heel, may stick out of the shoe some, but that doesn't bother me, and they do not bunch up underneath.



UPDATE (6-6-2010):

Another season completed, still fine. Gold Toe Men's Casual Crew 3-Pack, Black/Black/Black, 10-13

Comfortable and Durable with nice business casual colors. Allow your feet to breath in those leather shoes. These sock are slightly thicker than normal dress socks but not so thick that your toes feel cramped in the shoe. And they still look like dress socks. I paid more than twice the price for a couple of pairs of similar socks of another brand at local stores. These socks are great. I originally purchased the black versions of these socks and was so impressed I logged back into Amazon and found and purchased the same socks in multiple colors. The colored socks have a slightly different make up in material percentages, presumably for the color, but are just as comfortable and hold the color just as well. the next time I need socks, which will probably be a while, I will look for the same socks.

I was struggling with the correct socks my husband should wear with casual khakie and cargo pants. In the summer he wore sandals with them, but now he's wearing them to work and needs to wear regular shoes. I hated white athletic socks with them, but dress socks were too polished. These worked perfectly.

Perhaps for the average person, these socks are okay, albeit expensive, but for someone with a small foot (size 8 shoe)like myself, I found that the foot part of the sock is too long and too big around. Additionally, the elastic on the upper part of the socks is way too tight, leaving deep impressions in your leg after wearing them for a day. They do appear to be well made, but overall for my use I found them unacceptable.

Oh man. Oh lord. These socks are the bees knees! When I got my first pack, I threw all of my other socks away. I said to myself, "Man, F those old socks! F 'em all!". I only wear these socks now.

These are typically wonderful gold toe socks. I would have paid much more at a department store. The colors are great, the fit is fantastic and they feel good on my feet. I wear size 13 shoes so that is not always the case but these fit great. I am buying more and I would highly recommend these socks.

These socks are great for day-in, day-out wear. They stay up well - no sagging in boots! And after six weeks of washing, they are just as dark and soft as they were out of the package. We'll see how they hold up over time, but for now they are my husband's favorite socks.

I've used Gold Toe socks for decades and prefer cotton. The Fluffies are my favorite but wear out fast. These are a nice compromise as they wear well. I'm not fond of socks having large polyester content (like the ones sold at Costco). These have served me the best.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Casual Socks Casual Socks Casual Socks